Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Apr 18, 2019 11:35 AM

Why is the volume so LOUD when a local ad comes on or the new AT&T's Undeniable ad comes on?

Recently DirecTv Now started showing local advertisements, that is no problem, the problem is that when these ads come on the volume is so irritatingly LOUD. Last night DirecTv Now just started a new AT&T advertisement for their new program called Undeniable with Dan Patrick streaming on Audience. This ad causes the pictures hanging on the walls to rattle it's so LOUD! It is almost twice the regular volume of the main program airing.
Does anyone know of a device or an option besides sitting there waiting to mute these ads manually?
I know this must be a technical glitch and obviously against FCC rules, but it is so jarring that I may have to try Charter's streaming app instead.

Responses

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

Be aware that using audio leveling or reduce loud sounds has been reported here to cause A/V sync issues. Not right away, it seems to "slip" with each loud sound reduction.

Not sure if this is the case for everyone, I'd suggest trying it and just being aware of what problem to watch for.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Artwire

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

a year ago

On my Apple TV 4g, there is no “reduce loud sounds” option for individual program audio ( the options are just for closed captioning and language choices). Also, during the commercial, you can’t even scroll down — you have to wait for the program to resume to get access to that menu. I set reduce loud sounds on the Apple TV itself, which helped with the earlier ATT commercials , but seems to have had no effect on the TBS Last OG+Cartoon network+Audience ad ... I just have learned to mute or pause and wait it out ( losing some of the programming). What a horrible ad!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

No, this did not work. Checked my advanced settings on my FireTV and the
"Volume Leveler" was on. I toggled it and still the same problem.
Any other advice?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

Filed FCC Complaint.  They want the time of occurrence and what the ad is for.  (it says all is not allowed).  Am I supposed to file 30 complaints a day? lol

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I have complained so many times I'm tired of complaining. It's the most annoying thing ever. It's 3x as loud as most of their channels. At night I swear my neighbors are going to want to kill me. It's so embarassing.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

Thank you. I have a Todhiba fire tv.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I am a television audio mixer and I was watching a show that I mixed while streaming on the new "AT&T?DirecTV" streaming app.  The volume discrepancy between the main program and the commercials was almost 20db.  The commercials were so incredibly loud I wanted to cancel my subscription as well.  It is so easy for the service providers to fix this.  It was always bad with satellite but this is horrible.  It makes for one of the worst television watching experiences.  It already makes it not worth paying for.  Of course when AT&T got involved things got worse.  Horrible company.  Horrible experience.  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I am a television audio mixer and I was watching a show that I mixed while streaming on the new "AT&T?DirecTV" streaming app.  The volume discrepancy between the main program and the commercials was almost 20db.  The commercials were so incredibly loud I wanted to cancel my subscription as well.  It is so easy for the service providers to fix this.  It was always bad with satellite but this is horrible.  It makes for one of the worst television watching experiences.  It already makes it not worth paying for.  Of course when AT&T got involved things got worse.  Horrible company.  Horrible experience.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I have the same problem with Directv now, which is AT&T now. This happens with local commercials only. I called several times about it, but nothing happen.  AT&T told me everything was good on their part and since no one complained about it, it must be my TV and the charge will be $99 for a service call.  I set up a service call with a 2:00 to 4:00 pm window. No service man came and no phone call from the service man. I called them at 4:15, 5:00, and 6:00 pm. The person on the phone at both the 4:15 and 5:00 time, told me that the service man was on the way.  The 6:00 person told me there was no one working and I could make an appointment for another service call. But the first appointment would be 3 days from today. I am going to Spectrum today to change my service. 

PS. I recorded the loud commercials and on play back I found out that the local commercials are not on the recordings.  

Employee

• 

289 Messages

a year ago

Additional information may be helpful to anyone from AT&T TV NOW who may be listening:

• Approximate date/time of incident:
  • Device:
  • Channel(s):
  • Content type (Live, VOD, cDVR, etc):

This has to be on their radar by now. Crossing my finger this gets resolved quickly!

From https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-DIRECTV-NOW/Why-is-the-volume-so-LOUD-when-a-local-ad-comes-on-or-the-new-AT/m-p/5962193#M34677

“The volume discrepancy between the main program and the commercials was almost 20db.”

From https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-DIRECTV-NOW/Jimmy-Dean-Commercial/m-p/5936034

“It happens during both live and VOD viewing.  I'm using multiple Roku devices and it happens on each of them.  It's all channels”

From https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-DIRECTV-NOW/Does-anyone-know-what-to-do-about-ear-shatter-earring-increase/m-p/5937938#M34195

“Random channels...live...often advertising other channels AMC, TNT etc. Sometimes there is a local ad involved as I said the Irvine Auto Center. Happens every 15 or 20 minutes.”

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
kdc1174

Scholar

• 

81 Messages

a year ago

• Approximate date/time of incident: always
  • Device: Apple TV, fire tv, iPhone, iPad, browser, so basically all of them
  • Channel(s): all of them
  • Content type (Live, VOD, cDVR, etc): all of them

Hope this narrows it down.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I was told that AT&T Now is a streaming App.  That AT&T doesn’t service Streaming Apps. I ask why would AT&T offer a streaming service and not service the App.  AT&T had no answer.  It appears like they are acting as middlemen, offering a service, Directv Now, changing the name to AT&T Now, and not having to fix any problems because it is a streaming App which they have no control over. I was also told that they have no other AT&T customer complaints about increase Loud Local commercials. I don’t expect that AT&T will solve the problem, since they don’t appear to admit there is a problem.  

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

You didn't mention who told you all that. Whoever it was, I wouldn't listen to them in the future.

Obviously AT&T is responsible for their own app, and nobody else can fix it. If we even tried to reverse engineer it and fix it we would probably be sued.

Anyone here knows they have received MANY complaints about loud commercials.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I call AT&T service and they transferred me to someone who “could get the information and take care of the problem.”  That person was an AT&T employee that put me on hold several time to talk to her supervisor.  After talking to her supervisor, the last time, she came back with, “ it was an App and streaming problem and AT&T doesn’t take care of Apps and streaming problem.”  This is were I asked why AT&T would sell Directv Now without control of the product. And she had to answer.  

• 

1 Message

Had this issue with a Toshiba 50inch with Fire Stick built in. Solution is to turn On the feature: "SRS TruVolume" or just "TruVolume" under settings and sound.

Now all commercials are the same sound level as programming. 

Hope this helps. 

Get started...

Ask a new question