Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Apr 18, 2019 11:35 AM

Why is the volume so LOUD when a local ad comes on or the new AT&T's Undeniable ad comes on?

Recently DirecTv Now started showing local advertisements, that is no problem, the problem is that when these ads come on the volume is so irritatingly LOUD. Last night DirecTv Now just started a new AT&T advertisement for their new program called Undeniable with Dan Patrick streaming on Audience. This ad causes the pictures hanging on the walls to rattle it's so LOUD! It is almost twice the regular volume of the main program airing.
Does anyone know of a device or an option besides sitting there waiting to mute these ads manually?
I know this must be a technical glitch and obviously against FCC rules, but it is so jarring that I may have to try Charter's streaming app instead.

Responses

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

Depending on what hardware you are using you may have a "reduce loud sounds" or a similar option, check the settings of whatever device you are using.

I know with an ATV4K this seems to help, not sure about other devices.

Not a solution, just a band-aid. 🙂

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Seriously. This stupid commercial legit makes me want to cancel Directv Now. It is clearly done purposefully because at&t owns both the show being promoted and the platform. “Oh let’s turn up the column a little and get their attention”. Absolutely insane. Easily 3x normal volumn. Every time it comes on my hate for at&t and directv grows.

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

a year ago

Using my PC and chrome browser, the local ads and DTVNOW promos are actually much lower in volume (or at worst, the same volume level) than the programming itself. That's very refreshing indeed, but I still don't like the "hijacking" of the feed (unless perhaps it's for some of the long ESPN Commercial break placeholder and music). Anyway, at least with the chrome pc browser, things seem to be improved.

Extra Loud commercials during VOD content on network websites was one of the reasons that led me to using adblockers in the first place (many years ago). That and ad repetition, as well as transition screwups from ads to the actual playing of VOD content.

At the moment, I haven't seen any DTVNOW "We'll be right back" placeholders during CNN's stream. They are instead now playing AT&T Audience, etc. promos over and over with light music, as well as paid targeted ads. Certainly better than placeholder silence (as I read my email, etc.).

kdc1174

Scholar

• 

81 Messages

a year ago

@beww357 Doesn’t work. I have the Apple TV 4K and that setting does nothing for streaming apps. The TV app - yes. Music - yes. Podcasts - yes. Third party apps - not so much.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

This commercial plays ALMOST EVERY AD BREAK! This is driving me crazy!

kdc1174

Scholar

• 

81 Messages

a year ago

I tweeted basically everyone about this last night - ATT, ATTCares, DTVN, DTVNhelp, Audience with a video clearly showing these AT&T sold “local” ads and their ridiculous volume. Crickets.

Today, they’ve started hijacking actual programming with them. There’s nothing like re-joining a show when they’re mid-sentence...

Same on WatchTV btw, and on the iOS DTVN app. I’ve started recording shows I’d normally watch live and ffwd through them just in case.

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

a year ago

I watch AND record when possible, but the key fact is that no matter how DTVNOW spins it, it is indeed a hijack of the signal (even though that local ad space is specifically set up to make room for the hijacks, by the channel itself). But if a mistake is made, or a device can't handle the transitions, content can be missed and then those consumer devices can no longer be considered reliable DTVNOW devices.

At least changes were made to try to get rid of those silent placeholders, but since many of us use different devices, the sound can often make things worse for some devices.

#Yet another fine mess that they've gotten us into

Tutor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Don't know who the people in the spot are but it seems to be fore a tv show I would watch even if I knew what it is about. They don't tell you, nor do they indicate why I should watch it. All I know is that out is annoying, and yes I sent a CALM complaint to the FCC. 

Artwire

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

a year ago

Thanks for mentioning “reduce loud sounds” option on Apple TV 4K. That AT&T Audience promo was blasting at least 3x louder than the program. ( so much for napping on the couch - I thought the fire alarm had gone off when the AT&T ad practically blasted me off the sofa last night! LOL. ) So annoying!! I’ve just turned on the setting and now hoping for that miserable ad to play, so I can check if it works. Shouldn’t be long... it was running every few minutes.

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

Usually the best way to complain is to contact the advertiser directly. Most don't want to pay for ads that have a negative effect on the viewer.

But when the advertiser is AT&T itself I'm not sure how to respond, except by watching something else.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I am having the same issue with the Att Undeniable commercial on DirectTvnow.   The commercial would not be compelling even if it was not so obnoxiously loud.  

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

a year ago

Critics call it Undeniably loud, annoying, miserable, "It's driving me crazy!" and those comments are just for the promo ad.

piglet12 says: "I'm watching on my computer, but my volume is not louder. Why can't I hear what everybody is talking about? It's not fair!"

Danica Patrick is now receiving death threats and she isn't even hosting the show.

Dan Patrick could not be reached for comment, but AT&T is working on yet another Undeniably loud ad campaign, but this time featuring the Dragons of Game of Thrones.

The fire is coming ... and it will be heard around the world!!!!!

#3 Dragons ... 3 times the volume! 

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

a year ago

Just noticed the silent "We'll be back" placeholder is back (during a CNN local break).

Probably had something to do with Danica Patrick's imaginary death threats.

#Silence is golden ... but also boring.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I’m seriously considering dropping Directv Now if they don’t stop the crazy loud Undeniable commercial. Directv figure it out.

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

a year ago

Or just switch to a PC/laptop and you should notice that the local-break ads and promos (even the Undeniable one) are super quiet.

I assume that nobody on a grandfathered plan would cancel, but if enough people cancel their regularly-priced plans and mention the reason, something would have to be done to somehow improve the ad-replacement process for the other devices.

I figured that they would have fixed the volume problem by now, but obviously not.

#Not of sound mind

Get started...

Ask a new question