Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Oct 22, 2018 10:55 PM

Where do I find the Direct TV Now app for an android TV?

I've been unable to find the Direct TV Now app. and install it.  It does not show up in any searches.  How can I install it on my Sony 65" Smart TV?

Responses

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Pretty long-winded reply to a very easy question. I found a hacked app
that worked. Ridiculous to have to go that route though. Ended up canceling
and am completely satisfied with my alternative. Cheaper, more devices,
doesn't buffer and can get it on any of my devices.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

People don't want to have to buy a Firestick or Roku.  I want to download the DirectTVNow app directly on my Sony Android TV.  Get it done or lose customers.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

a year ago

Well it's just not supported. Should of checked before buying the TV or a subscription. Other services do not support all platforms either.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Everything can be supported if the motivation by the application owner is there. Build the DirectTVNow app for the Android -and Apple and every other platform that SlingTV supports or die. It's that simple.
bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

a year ago

Wishful thinking. They need to fix what they support now first.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

The issue may have little to do with Direct TV. Television manufacturers would probably not want to allow a competitive versatile live TV streaming app, especially if those brands offer their own version of a live streaming application. I own a Sony TV, and I bet they do not want other sources that can compete with their PS Vue app. For instance, Hulu has a live streaming feature, but it's not available for ALL android TVs. That right there shows that there are other factors involved when releasing apps on the Andoid TV Google Play store. Sling TV is usually available, so you at least have that option.

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

a year ago

Meh.  Much ado about nothing.  When apps are on my SmartTV, I still end up using my FireTV Stick 4K.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I at least understand the other complaints though. It would be a drag to buy a fancy new Smart TV, find out that there is a Direct TV Now application, but you have to spend more money on a separate streaming device to download the application. The confused person then complains to AT&T support for help, just get a bunch of pushback and insults. If you have to buy a separate streaming device (receiver), then why not just pay for a normal Direct TV plan? It seems that there is no value in using the Direct TV Now application. They need to go back to offering a free Apple TV streaming device to customers that prepay for the service. 

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

a year ago

@Poejoe The Apple TV 4 I have now was obtained at the launch of DTVN.  I decided to stick with Uverse TV.  Will they have another promotion in the future? 

I'm fairly confident the DTVN service as OTT was always intended to operate on the more common streaming boxes.  I have a Hisense 65H8E TV here that is capable of running apps.  There is no Uverse TV app for it.  Should I get all wrapped up in my knickers because of it?  I am able to watch Uverse TV on my Fire TV devices if I want to.  I'm doing it right now in fact to watch Europa League on Univision.  I don't really get this entitlement opinion and irate posting. 

And in case it's not clear from the signature, I don't work for att, don't own att stock, just an average joe like you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

What it boils down to is DTVN is hemorrhaging customers.  The reason they are hemorrhaging customers is because of these laissez-faire attitudes towards customers which I driven by a willful drive to selfishly defend the status quo.  

In other words all you folks with green names are doing nothing to help here.  You are supporting these "decisions" without any regards to the customer and it shows a complete and utter disrespect for those customers even though it's pretty obvious you are not ATT employees.   If you are here to support the community I really wonder how you are doing so by attempting to discredit the completely valid complaints from customers or potential customers.

The "Should of checked before buying the TV or a subscription." .comments are just mind boggling.   This kind of approach to answering customers (of which you have no authority so your opinions are meaningless anyway) just shows the type of people you are.   

And if we cared about having Uverse support.... and had HiSense tvs (who buys Hisense anyway?) then we'd probably be complaining assuming Hisense uses a very common platform like Android TV.   If it isn't and it's using some obscure platform then I'd agree, sorry, but ya can't support platforms that are un-popular.

The REALITY is that DTVN is mismanaged from an engineering perspective and infrastructure perspective and that is reflected in it's loss of subscribers in spite of the lengths they are willing to go to keep them.  The ONLY reasons I use DTVN is because of my grandfathered pricing plan for the Go Big package and it's channel lineup.   If I didn't have that I'd have been gone before the trial had expired.

Should I "get all wrapped up in my knickers" because of a lack of Android TV support?   Of course I should and so should every customer that has to run on additional devices because DTVN refuses to support ATV (or is incapable) be cause of a lack of capability or, and more likely, because they think they can lock customers in with ATV based dedicated hardware with a long term commitment.   Smells fishy to me.

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

"The "Should of checked before buying the TV or a subscription." .comments are just mind boggling."

Perhaps to you. Many TV sets now sell for more than I paid for my first car, and you can bet I checked that out carefully before buying.

All we are trying to do here is help people get the most out of DTVN. We can't help what hardware you purchased, only give you the facts as we know them. Would you prefer we lie to you?

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

a year ago

@Santiagodraco 

No disrespect intended. 

If android TV ever gains enough traction to get on their radar, I can imagine porting the app code over natively. I do not believe these forums will influence the att marketing manager for the product. It was suggested to use an official feedback method to make opinion/request known. 

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

There is a feedback link on each support page, as well as a link at the bottom of the page.

Personally I'd like to see open source apps, in addition to the official ones, probably with some sort of binary blob for "security".

Though I'm sure Apple would have nothing to do with it. 😞

As DTVN makes money by selling subscriptions, not software, I don't see any reason they wouldn't go along, except corporate inertia.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

Another reason why IPTV is the only answer for people who do not want to be bullied by corporate America.

If they gave people what they want we wouldn't have a huge cordcutter population

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

Another reason why IPTV is the only answer for people who do not want to be bullied by corporate America.

If they gave people what they want we wouldn't have a huge cordcutter population

Get started...

Ask a new question