Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
scoequyt's profile
scoequyt
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

Fri, Feb 15, 2019 2:57 PM

NO LOCAL CHANNELS

Hello. New subscriber. No local channels, big 4. All other channels work fine. I've been on chat support last 24 hours, told me last night it was glitch, get up this AM same issue no local channels. Now they are saying 2 days to resolve? I did receive credit, do appreciate that but.......

Guy called me, reset modem twice, said it "should" resolve (terrrible word to use in support) . Can anyone tell me what's really happening? I started subcription on 2/3 and lost my local channels yesterday. Up until then it was awesome! Please any help appreciated. 

Responses

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

Nothing. They just provide a streaming service.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

Your ISP contracted to provide you with internet service. It did not contract to provide third parties with your location.

In fact, if you have young kids using the internet would you want your ISP to tell anyone who asks what your location is?

DTVN does not generally correct the problem through the ISPs, they put through a "correction" with their geolocation vendor.

Some ISPs do try and work with DTVN subscribers, others don't, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Some people have purchased static IPs that will geolocate properly, but you shouldn't have to do that.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

But even if you get a static IP address does not rule out geolocation errors. They still use geolocation vendors to provide the information (right or wrong) to them.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

Agreed. All a static IP does for you is if you do get an address that geolocates properly it's more likely to stay that way than a dynamic IP. 🙂

I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it, it's not the correct solution and it costs money.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

Always good to get information.

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Re static IP or they could give you a longer lease on a IP in certain subnet that is located where you live? Also has to be a way for them to force my MAC address to a certain network right?

I went 3 weeks no problems, so something changed.  Time will tell.

Again can't thank you all enough for the responses. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

They are not forced to give you anything but the internet service of which they are providing you with. Hopefully if that is the issue they will work with you as a valued customer. I am pretty sure they are very familiar with all the streaming services and the requirements.

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you everyone, I'll post my results as they come. 

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Sorry for all the questions! What about chromecast device or android streaming device? 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

Personally I would stay away from Chromecast or Android based.. For future compatibility I would still recommend either Roku, Fire Stick, or Apple. These guys know what they are doing.

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Question: if droid devices like firestick use google for location services that should solve my problem right? In essence acting like my cell phone using google as GPS for my location? 

I'm in an apartment building 3 stories 110 units, many WAP if it uses ip location services like Apple. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

Devices that do not have GPS are analyzed using location services to determine where the device is located. Devices with GPS know here they are located. Exception is with Apple devices that keep up with WiFi locations previously used and cell phone towers.

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 years ago

Look So each field is 8 bit long. Now by using 8 bits, the maximum value we can get is 11111111 (i.e all 1's) and its decimal equivalent is 255. The first address i.e 0 is reserved for network ID and the last one i.e 255 is reserved for broadcast address. So we are left with 256-2=254 addresses.

My ip is: 216.16.22.255

Can an IP end in 255?

There is much confusion on ip address ending with .0 or .255. In general, .0 would be considered as a network identifier and .255 would be a broadcasting address. That's true. However, if you are fully understood about an IP subnetting theory, you know those IPs are usable and it can be assigned be on your network.

I have been calling ISP for days think I finally have a guy who cares. Keep you posted.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 years ago

What are you talking about? This has been discuss and no one here can do anything. The solution will have to come from DTVN only.

DoctorA49

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

@scoequyt I am using Apple TV but through the Apple remote in a drawer after buying universal remote that was sold by amazon for less than $30 that works well.  INT-422-3   http://universalremotes.net/

The Apple remote too small and too slick for my hands even after buying a cover to slip on it did not like using it.

Get started...

Ask a new question