#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

Fri, Feb 15, 2019 2:57 PM

NO LOCAL CHANNELS

Hello. New subscriber. No local channels, big 4. All other channels work fine. I've been on chat support last 24 hours, told me last night it was glitch, get up this AM same issue no local channels. Now they are saying 2 days to resolve? I did receive credit, do appreciate that but.......

Guy called me, reset modem twice, said it "should" resolve (terrrible word to use in support) . Can anyone tell me what's really happening? I started subcription on 2/3 and lost my local channels yesterday. Up until then it was awesome! Please any help appreciated. 

Responses

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

At least I had 3 weeks of heaven. Maybe this is why there is no customer service/tech support phone number for direct tv now? Call centers are expensive, I get it but I called direct tv by accident this am, asked for directtv now ph # and they gave me a bunk phone # to some random tree association.

Ahh the humor of customer service on a Friday. 

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

How many days does this mis identification take to resolve? Any other users complain of VAST provider?  There is a ticket open on if I'm on correct IP, but it kinda get's old those are my main channels. DVR still records the shows though. Tks again everyone for the help. 

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9.7K Messages

2 y ago

@scoequyt - the reason that different geolocation services might report different locations is that there is no magic way to actually find the physical location of an IP address endpoint.  The internet wasn't designed to be location aware (more the opposite) so there is no inherent way.  The different geo companies use different techniques to effectively make educated guesses about the location.  Most gather info about the ISP (which you can get externally using the IP address), any geo info the ISP publishes about their IP address pools and physical locations (which in most cases won't localize very precisely), and buckets of internet data that they data mine for IP address references and physical location references that they try to correlate (plus I'm sure other types of data).  They dump all this through their proprietary algorithms to attempt to determine a location.  When your ISP changes your address, much of the gathered info will either be missing or likely wrong for some period of time (since at least the data mined info will correspond to the previous holder of that IP address - and the geo firms don't know that the holder of the address changed).  Since each firm will gather different data and use different algorithms, it is quite possible that they will come to different conclusions.  Especially for IP addresses that don't generate much in the way of useful location data (for example, references to local businesses, weather lookups, etc.), they may have to depend more on the ISP info - and if the ISP itself is located far away, that can lead to very incorrect results.  (For example, I am in Florida, and the location reported by most of the geo companies - as reported by iplocation.net - is usually pretty accurate.  But occasionally I get reported as being in Texas, which is where my ISP (ATT) is headquartered and that is location that appears if you do a domain lookup on the ATT ISP.)

There really is no great solution to this problem at this point.  Devices with built-in location capability usually work well.  This is why phones are almost always OK, as well as many other Android devices (tablets) and most Apple devices (tablets, Apple TV, and often computers) - this latter group usually can use WiFi location, which is less accurate than GPS and (probably) less reliable than cell tower location, but far better than IP location.  Unfortunately, WiFi location isn't available to devices without WiFi, and generally wouldn't be available outside the device's own system software - it requires quite detailed info on visible WiFi networks (which not all WiFi devices may even capture) and access to a WiFi location database.  Apple and Google have the latter available (Apple only for itself, Google more generally available to third parties, but at a cost) and there are some open databases (of varying coverage and accuracy).  But as far as I know, the WiFi info (especially at the needed detail) isn't visible to apps on any of the devices that don't already provide the location info directly.  And in any case, it wouldn't help all devices in all locations, though it likely would be better than what we have now.  I don't know of other generally usable techniques with the requisite level of accuracy, and don't know of anything readily useful for devices without WiFi.  Even GPS built into (fixed) devices may not help, as GPS signals often can't be received adequately indoors.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

Thank you for explanation. I wished this issue was known before I took this road to cutting cable. This means no matter what stream service I use I could suffer from this. You said apple tv uses wifi location services, any other hardware solution? (not apple guy) I can still return my roku box. Does the more expensive Roku use wifi geolocation vs IP geolocation? 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

2 y ago

Nope. Only Apple devices.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

Apple device. Ok. So all I need to have is an itunes account which is free correct? If I remember correctly itunes requires credit card, I refuse to give someone my credit card for a free service.

I did some more poking at the website https://db-ip.com. It shows other areas of IP's my ISP provides. The current IP I have is resolving to Missouri on that site, and Minnesota (correct loc) on the other sites. It does show other areas that ISP has IP's, obviously I'm not assigned to the correct area, so that tells me this can be resolved, by the ISP. 

I see why my channels are blocked. Sigh. Now for the long wait for ISP to respond to this.

Any other solutions? 

Tks. 

beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 y ago

I'm not an Apple guy either, been burned too often (68K to PPC, PPC to x86 and forced hardware "upgrades").

But, I do own a couple of ATV4Ks, and I am happy with them.

The funny thing is most everything works well, the only problems I have are with Apple's own services (iTunes), everything else including DTVN works great.

With the possible exception of the Beta Box I think the ATV4K provides the best DTVN experience. I own Rokus, Firesticks and Android devices, so I speak from experience.

But that remote is plain awful.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

2 y ago

Same here but I gave up on the Apple remote and but the device in the closet. I have had no issues with any of the other devices especially the locals. I attribute that mainly to be metro based instead of rural from the networks.

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

You betcha I looked at the apple remote, the button for alexa in a bad place and I don't do well with talking to computers with my Minnesota accent don't ya know. Ya. Just terrible I tell ya. Oh jeez this is frustrating. 

beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 y ago

I put the Apple remotes in the junk drawer with the Amazon remotes.

I use a Harmony 650, nice to have just one remote for everything in my home.

For the Firestick (which has no IR receiver) I just use the Harmony in TV set mode and control the F/S with HDMI-CEC.

I have now reclaimed my coffee table from all those remotes.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

2 y ago

...and voice control is not supported other then stating the app. Too much money for the device. There are lots of issues with Apple devices also. Just browse the forum. Honestly, if not for the grandfathered rate I would be gone. PlayStation Vue would have been my choice.

beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 y ago

Yes, I have see many reports of problems with ATVs, but none of them seem to ever happen to me. 🙂

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

re a statement: What does ATV mean? 

I just use the Harmony in TV set mode and control the F/S with HDMI-CEC.

What is F/S with HDMI-CEC?  (I know what HDMI is)

scoequyt

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

2 y ago

If my ISP is the issue how successful are people at getting the ISP's to acknowledge and fix the issue with geolocations? What does AT & T do to resolve it with ISP's? 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

2 y ago

Agree. Everyone have different experiences. Too many variables between user setups, locations, and ISP's for a starter.

Get started...

Ask a new question