AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Nov 8, 2018 6:32 PM

Navigating Direct TV Now with Amazon Fire Stick

I just activated Direct TV Now and I'm using an Amazon Fire Stick. I've set up favorite channels, and I can navigate through them using the Fire Stick remote. It's a little awkward because I have to go through the channel list alphabetically. When I try to use the microphone to go to a specific channel, I get taken back to the home screen. Is there a quicker way to go to a particular channel? Thanks. 

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

Wrong forum.  This is the DirecTV Satellite forum.  I'll move this post to the DirecTV Now forum for you.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks!
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.8K Messages

2 years ago

The DirecTV Now app for Fire TV doesn't support Alexa internally (that is, you can start the DTVN app using a voice command, but there is no voice command support inside the DTVN app - for changing channels, etc.).  It is unclear if this will change, let alone when.

The guide currently supports favorites and a number of built-in filters (like "sports").  There are currently no other navigation aids for/in the guide.  Requests/suggestions have been made that (perhaps as part of their adding profiles, which is supposed to happen at some point in the not too distant future) they allow the guide to be edited to only include user selected channels and in user selected order, and have this selection and ordering affect channel "surfing" also, not just the guide.  (This would ideally be per profile.)  They haven't said anything about changes in this area.

They currently provide What's on Now, which is a set of tiles on the "home" page that reflect current shows which can be selected.  It isn't completely clear how channels get in that set - at one point it seemed random, then it seemed based on recently watched channels, now - ?  Again, suggestions have been made about how to make that more useful, and again it is unknown if/when they might make changes in that area.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the information. I've been playing around with the remote and
found something on the internet that said to use the up, down, and side
parts of the ring to navigate to other channels and get to the selections
like watch now. That helps some. I'm going to get rid of Comcast next week
and I'll miss the ease of moving from channel to channel, using "last", etc.
But its worth it to get rid of the ridiculous cable bills.

Thanks again

Barb

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Same problem here. HELP!

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

a year ago

The only way to go to a channel on the Fire stick is to pick it from What's On or from the Guide. You can scroll quickly through the guide by holding down the arrows and taking advantage of the fact that it wraps back to the top when you reach the end. As pointed out earlier, adding Favorites then filtering them, you can cut down the number of channels you have to scroll through.

On AT&T's own Osprey box, you can tune to a channel directly by voice, by number or last channel or channel up/down on the remote, just like on a cable or satellite box. If that's a critical feature for you, I suggest you obtain such a box. There are plenty on eBay, or you can get one for free by subscribing to AT&T TV service if it's available in your area.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Thanks. I've been doing exactly as described. An aggravating problem I
have is getting directly to my Favorites on the AT&T TV network. How does
one do that?
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.8K Messages

2 months ago

By plugging the FireStick into an open HDMI port on the TV?  I'm guessing that isn't actually what you are asking about, but you'll have to provide a more specific question.

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

OldChemist, you can configure the guide to look only at the stations you designate as your favorite.  Instructions available on request.

Get started...

Ask a new question