Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Oct 2, 2017 3:32 PM

Local channels missing

My local channels that we were streaming through our Roku have disappeared. Customer Service Chat said my internet provider zip does not match my billing zip. Upon taking with my internet service provider that is not accurate. I can "hot spot" with my phone but can not stream through my internet? Why was I able to yesterday?

Responses

rkrichter

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

3 years ago

The only other thing I can think of is if you are using a VPN service, but you said you tried mobile data on your phone so that might not really make sense. This is beyond me it seems.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am new to Directv Now. I recently completed my free first week and chose to stick with the streaming service as I was satisfied with the channel lineup. The lineup during the free week included ABC. Now that I have been billed for continuing service as of yesterday, the channel is no longer available. It is also kisted as an available local channel for my area. Is this common and will other channels disappear as well?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I logged out of DirectvNow and my VPN. I then restarted DirectvNow and it was there. Thanks!

rkrichter

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

3 years ago

Glad to help. If you need your VPN for something else, like getting around local sports blackouts such as NHL.TV, you might consider getting two routers and using one for your VPN needs and one for your DTVN needs. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same issue. 5 chat sessions over the course of a month and each and every time I am "assured that my issue will be resolved by the internal team". I just finished my 5th session. I have a call back scheduled with a supervisor for tomorrow morning but I will believe that when the phone rings. I have employee ID numbers for agents that have helped me and reference numbers. I even switched over to a business class internet service through my ISP and am paying extra each month for a static IP so that it does not change. I understand my geolocation is not always accurate using 3rd party services as I have verified this myself. My ISP cannot update my geolication as they have no control over that. However, DTVN should be able to associate my static IP with my account and know that I am in fact at my house trying to receive channels that I am paying for. 

If it is not resolved in the next 24/48 hours I will be requesting a refund and cancelling my service.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

please let me know if you actually receive a call back from them, i have been promised calls but have yet to receive them

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I actually received a call this afternoon but my issue still exists. I was simply told "they are working on resolving the issue with no timeline available to fix the issue. The agent told me she would credit my account $10 to which my reply was it is not about the money it's about me not receiving channels I should be receiving. I would rather they fix the issue than credit my account. Her response was that they will credit me $20. I finally just said okay that's fine thanks but if the issue is not resolved before my next billing cycle I will be cancelling my service.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.6K Messages

3 years ago

DTVN can't "associate my static IP with my account and know that I am in fact at my house" - they have no way of knowing whether a particular IP address is static or dynamic.  Even if they did, there is nothing that associates a static IP address with a physical location any more than it associates a dynamic IP address with a location.  All static means is that you have a particular (known and unchanging) IP address that you leased from your ISP.  That address doesn't look any different from a dynamic IP address from the same ISP and could still be attached to any device - including one that is mobile/portable - at any location.  Basically, DTVN would still be limited to just believing you when you said the device was at the billing address, and they can't do that.  The supposed "advantage" of a static IP address in this case is that once the geolocation firms get the location correct for you, it should never "go bad" due to your ISP swapping you to a different address.  But if the geolocation firms never get the location right in the first place, it still doesn't help.  Unfortunately, this is still a problem without a good solution.

The OP seems to have a different problem (beyond just geolocation), since s/he reported it as a problem also with mobile devices, even with the WiFi turned off (which should have forced a mobile device to at least try to use GPS and/or cell ID).

Although - @durka46 - assuming you still have this problem - did you try a mobile device while the WiFi access point (router) was turned off, or at least made sure the WiFi on the phone was completely off?  On some phones and using some controls, turning off WiFi doesn't really turn off WiFi, at least for location services.  In particular, I know that turning off WiFi from the Control Center - rather than settings - on an iPhone running iOS 11 works this way - it disables connections, but the phone can still use WiFi for location info.  I don't know about Android.  (If the WiFi radio is on, even if there is no connection, mobile devices - both Apple and at least some Android - can try to use WiFi access point lookup for location, and restarting the access point won't affect the vendor's location database.)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

@Jrandomuser thank you for the response. Yes I have tried it with my router completely off. 

I am pretty sure the problem I not related to my IP or anything on my end as I have always had my local sports channels available to me.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.6K Messages

3 years ago

And the address showing up in the payment method page of the user account data is unchanged and matches your actual location?  And that location shows up with locals in the lookup tool?  Those facts really makes it hard to understand why at least a mobile device with location services and GPS enabled and WiFi disabled doesn't work.  If you are still getting failures on a PC, how close to your actual location do the IP query sites indicate the geolocation firms are reporting?  The fact that you are getting the correct RSNs is additionally strange - that implies they are getting some location info for you that is in the correct general area, just not specifically correct enough.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

When I signed up for trails months ago it showed local channels available then chatted with support and they confirmed are not available in my area but working hard to get those channels available.  Either way not renewing services because I'm positive it will be 6 months later...

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Yup same issues here!  Been on so many chat sessions I'm ready to just cancel.  I'm not stupid either and have checked and rechecked all my settings.  Reset router, reset modem, uninstalled and reinstalled apps and I have locals only on roku that is plugged into the same tv as the firestick.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Hello, I have the $35 per month package, which is supposed to include NBC. I don't have NBC, so how do I get it? Thanks in advance.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for your reply. According to the local channel look up tool, NBC isn't available. I don't seem to have access to NBC from my mobiles or my Apple TV. Only from the website. I guess I don't get NBC. That stinks, as I always watch Jeopardy! Is there any way to ask DirectTV Now if they plan to get NBC in the near future?

rkrichter

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

3 years ago

there is only chat support here , but they won't be able to answer for you. no one can really answer that. you will just be told "we are working to get more networks available for more places as soon as possible" or something along those lines. it has to do with your local broadcaster (think who does your local news). directv now has to negotiate with all local broadcasters and work out terms in oder to be able to give a certain city those stations (cbs, abc, fox, nbc, etc).

Get started...

Ask a new question