Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sun, Jul 15, 2018 7:17 PM

Is there a way in the Guide to jump directly to a channel?

When I pull up the guide, it list all the channels in order, but I don't see a way to jump directly to a channel. For instance, if I am at the top and the guide is showing ABC and I want to see what is on NBC, it seems I have to keep paging down until I get to the N's in the guide. I have tried the search feature for a channel, but when I select a channel and "on now" nothing happens, just a blank screen.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

bcbsncjlj

• 

19.7K Messages

2 years ago

You are correct. Scrolling is the only option.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

You can use the various filters to limit the number of channels you have to scroll through, but you will still have to scroll.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you. Hopefully they come up with a better way in guide to jump to a channel.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you.

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I don’t like having to scroll through the guide.  This is seriously annoying me enough that I wouldn’t mind canceling. I was used to just entering the channel and start to view it. How could they miss this?!

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

One thing I've done which is saving me a lot of time is make a list of favorite channels.  I've got about a dozen.  Then I switch my guide view from All to Favorites.  At least this way, all of my regular channels are in walking distance of each other, which is a significant time-saver.

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

2 months ago

@myanes, If you have some ideas about how AT&T could accomplish this on a remote with no numbers or letters, I'm all ears. Have you considered getting an AT&T TV Osprey box which comes with a remote with numbers that CAN go directly to any channel? They already solved the problem. You just have the wrong box.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

@lydian, not everyone has that type of remote. They need to accommodate all of their users, not a selection of users. I just recently signed up and likely received the most recent box. A new user won't know to request a specific box. Many new users won't have previous experience with streaming sticks. A person schooled in writing code should be able to figure this out, perhaps showing numbers next to the channel, and allowing numbers to be typed in when a remote has the capacity for this.

(edited)

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

a month ago

They already figured it out. A few years ago, the Fire TV version of the app had the option to display numbers which worked with remotes so equipped. Then they took it away within a couple of weeks. Now the option is only available on the Android TV version. 

Back to my question of how to do it without using numbers or letters at all. 

Jrandomuser

• 

8.6K Messages

a month ago

@nics - They designed the apps for commodity streaming devices to work with the remotes that come with those devices - none of which have numeric keypads.  The percentage of customers that get and use third-party remotes with these devices is tiny.  AT&T's original streaming service (DirecTV Now, now called AT&T TV Now)  worked on those devices, and was targeted at cable-cutters and others who were expected to be at least somewhat tech savvy and have some familiarity with streaming devices.  

As you note in your comment "A new user won't know to request a specific box. Many new users won't have previous experience with streaming sticks." there are some users they'd like to sell to who don't fit that profile (mostly users coming from cable or satellite).  AT&T is targeting those users with the AT&T TV service and the Osprey streaming device, which @lydian mentioned above.  The version of the app on this device displays channel numbers in the guide, and it comes with a relatively cable-like remote that allows going directly to channels by number, same as cable. 

The Osprey device is currently offered only to AT&T TV (contract) subscribers, not AT&T TV Now subscribers, but if an AT&T TV Now subscriber really wants one, they can generally be found on eBay.  (They aren't cheap.)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question