Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Wed, Jan 4, 2017 1:54 AM

Is ANYONE having a GREAT experience with Direct TV Now?

I've been reading a TON of negative reviews.... is anyone having a 100% positive experience?

I had high hopes... great concept.  Live TV works ok once it is started.  Video on Demand or Movies has been an epic let down so far with the freezing.

Any positive reviews out there?

Responses

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I have a 3 person household.  2 Apple Tv (4th Gen - Living Room and 1 Bedroom) and 3 Apple Tv (3rd Gen - 2 Bedrooms and Office).  We stream Netflix, DirecTV Now, YouTube and play online games with zero lag and zero buffering issues.  My home internet is through AT&T as well.  It's been great so far.  I do agree that adding at least 1 more stream per account would be great, but I think Single Sign On would be more of a priority for our particular needs.  Being able to watch tv shows/on demand content through the network apps would alleviate the need for more stream allowances for many I would think.

JohnnyDoe

Guru

• 

691 Messages

4 years ago

@MichaelMoon you might be the 1st person I've heard from with Apple TV devices that isn't experiencing any buffering or major issues while watching DTV Now. What's your internet speed if you don't mind me asking?

theroys88

Guru

• 

513 Messages

4 years ago

Works fine during the day but it is the evening that the buffering issues are present.  Tonight I was able to watch streams until about 8pm. Then I had to switch back to Vue to continue to watch Edge of Tomorrow on TNT.  Continue to watch Now until the buffering begins.  Not sure about issue with the Appletv since I moved it to my son's room. He is watching Vue since he came to me and told me that he was getting error messages and couln't watch his shows.  Not cancelling Vue until this service becomes stable. Not sure why there are some who are not having buffering or freezing issues in the evenings.  My four friends who I convinced to sign up are having the same issues and be honest I am embarassed that I recommended this service. I would not cancel your current service until we have proof that they have fixed this streaming issue.  It is a gamble if you are wanting the intro price.  If the service is not stable like Vue by March I will cancel and stay with PS Vue.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

@JohnnyDoe right now with 2 Netflix streams and 1 DirecTV Now stream, I'm getting 27mbps down and 6mbps up. I'm not sure if geolocation has anything to do with the problems people are experiencing, but it's working great in Houston. I traveled to Oklahoma during the holidays and didn't have any issues via LTE service either.

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

not here. My experience is terrible. Not worth the money. I am still upset, at least I didn't lose much money, I ended up with a Apple TV. But I will cancel in march if they don't fix it.

MO_MIKE

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Overall, I would rate our experience 90% favorable (taking in to consideration that the service is less than 30 days old). We do have some buffering issues, and the app closes on its own on amazon fire at times, however, so far every new update of the fire app has been positive.

We are still keeping our DISH account for another month (since I would not sign up for two years ever again), but so far, so good....

Will be glad when ROKU and SMART TV becom directv now freindly

JohnnyDoe

Guru

• 

691 Messages

4 years ago

@MO_MIKE@timelord@MichaelMoon -- thanks for the feedback and information. We still have our regular DirecTV service that we haven't and won't cancel with the DTV Now problems are still ongoing. Our internet speeds are around 75-80 MBPS and see have buffering issues (so frustrating) that you all are experiencing as well.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Well, since I'm posting on this forum I already have an issue and am pretty much not satisfied. They need more on-demand streams to at least match what the station's own website offers as "locked" content, or at least work out those partnerships so we can login to access them. That might help with the streaming issues since DirectTVNOW apparently doesn't know how to build infrstructure to handle what they are selling as they have oversold it and under provided. It might eventually get better, but I don't see why anyone would want to be paying for this broken service. With a land line or satellite cable service you can at least negotiate that when your service is down because the provider screwed up, you get a prorated bill. How can you argue with this service? Technically we can access it, but a 30 minute show takes an hour to watch because it's just freezing and buffering. This while the speed test comes in at 100mb download and Youtube and Hulu can stream (some even HD) without issues.

You can tell DirectTV is owned by At&t. They assume dominance and don't know how or don't care to build out their infrastructure to support customers. Well, guess what, there are LOTS of competition on the Internet AND they were here before you. If DirectTVNOW wants to survive, it needs to offer better service or something niche that the competition doesn't. Right now, I don't see it and they don't seem to be moving very fast to get it done.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having enough of a good experience to continue at least till the end of the 3 months I prepaid.  Having the HBO work on HBO Go instead of the DTVN app is a big help.  And today NBCSN was streaming just fine, after days of stuttering jumping ahead in little bits.  If the last day or two is any indication things are getting a little better.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Well, DirecTV Now is barely a month old.  I did plenty of research before making the commitment to the 3 months that I did.  The competition isn't any better from what I understand.  I might have a different mindset if I was experiencing the issues that many of you are, but I'm more than happy with this choice.  Eventually, they'll be able to work out the partnerships and licensing issues for the content but like I said earlier, the single sign on/tv provider option would most likely cure a lot of content complaint issues.  

JohnnyDoe

Guru

• 

691 Messages

4 years ago

So far the live tv stream has been working better the last night or two and I started using the HBO Go app vs. the DTV Now on demand side so that's greatly helped my major concerns... will likely stick it out and see where it all goes. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

If I could go back I would not have signed up for 3 months.

Reccommendation is to NOT try free for 7 days. If you do you will never sign up in the future. Wait until these amateurs get their act together. Then it could be great. Right now it truly sucks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Nope. Sorry service. Paid for three months in advance. No refund. What a ripoff. These guys are theives. I will eat my loss never use a t and t again

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry service. These guys are theives. Paid for three months and no refund. Doesnt work. Never use them again

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

4 years ago

I think maybe demand was 2-3 times what they were expecting. A chat rep told me around Dec. 15th that they had 1/4 million people sign up in the first two weeks. No telling what it is now. Hopefully they had longer term plans for high demand and they can ramp up sooner rather than later.

Regard which device works better, we've used the Amazon FireTV Stick, Chrome browser, and briefly the Android app. I think most of the problems are server related because they all seem to work pretty good until they all start have problems at the same time.

However, the least jaring of the three is the browser stream. When a stream glitches in the browser it picks back up the quickest and smoothest. With the FireTV Stick it will sometimes unsync the audio by 2-3 seconds and will often reqire manual intervention to get things back on track. Early on we had groups of days where everything worked fine then days when there were problems and on those days everything had problems.

I'm sure they'll eventually get things worked out it just might take a few months. Netflix and Youtube have been doing this for years. DirecTV Now has been doing for what, 35 days so far?

If I had a wish list, I'm hoping theyll get this:

1. Cable login for most channel's websites/apps
  2. Reliable or complete 72 hr rewind on every channel.
  3. Roku App (and Google TV app if the Android app doesn't transfer)
  4. Chromebook compatibility.
  5. 30 day Cloud DVR included in package
  6. 100 hr DVR (permanent storage) as a paid add-on.

Get started...

Ask a new question