Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Jun 6, 2019 8:26 PM

How to extend recording

How do I extend recording shows by 10 or 20 minutes 

Responses

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

2 years ago

No way that I know of to specifically extend a recording, but by also setting up a recording for the show that follows the one you want, you can ensure that you have basically extended the recording that you want ... exception is that if it's a repeat of the exact same show, the DVR will place both of them in a folder that can't be opened (I use my PC and Chrome browser, but perhaps other devices work properly), until shortly after you click the Garbage Can icon to try to delete them (but luckily only one gets deleted, unless you are unlucky) and then change the page from My Library to Discover or Guide, and then back again to My Library, to see if the folder is gone, and then only one of the duplicate episodes will be displayed and then that can be played back for viewing.

That's a long-winded way of saying that the BETA DVR is a very basic tool that is filled with weaknesses and bugs that need to be exterminated. 

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

2 years ago

By the way, if the following show that you are recording (to protect yourself from losing the ending of the previous show) is a very long one, and you can see that the next program is now airing Live, that you don't need (but are still recording), you can sometimes simply go into the Guide, then select that channel to watch Live, and then you should see the red REC icon, which can then be clicked to lead to the option of cancelling the recording. This will then usually end up giving you a partial recording soon appearing on the My Library page (which may need to be refreshed a few times until the option to FF the recording is shown and then be allowed during playback), but not always!

Quite often in fact, depending on the show, you will not get anything from the show you stopped recording before it finished recording naturally on its own. Thus, all that was recorded from that following show (used as extended protection by you) will be gone.

So, it's often a risk to stop a recording before it finishes recording on its own. It works more often than it fails, but there's no way to know when the failures will occur (unless it's a specific show on a channel that you've tested before that always fails to make a partial recording). However, if you know that you don't have enough room left on your DVR (only holds up to 20 hours, before it starts to delete previous recordings), you may want to risk it anyway, and try to stop that show from continuing the recording by manually stopping it. Again, depending on the show, it may or may not give you a partial recording that will soon appear on the My Library page (just go back and forth from any other section, back to the My Library page until you see it appear). If it doesn't, the partial recording was unfortunately deleted by the system (thus, if it had part of the ending of the previous show/sporting event that you wanted, you just lost it).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for your response but if I am recording a series such as NBA, there is no way for me to schedule next show recordings because the games come on different channels and at different times
piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

2 years ago

I'm not sure I understand you. If you are recording the NBA game on ABC, just also setup a recording for whatever airs after it (via the Guide, etc.), like the local news, etc. That way, if the game runs over the scheduled time, as it often does, you will have the run-over as part of the next show you recorded. If you also want to protect against missing out on any overtime, you could also record the next show following the previous one. That takes up a lot of space, so if you only have a few hours of your 20 hours left, you might have to be willing to tune in live to see if you can cancel some of it before it starts deleting some of your oldest recordings.

piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

2 years ago

I assume you may be confused because you are setting your NBA recordings from the VOD or Search results page. That's why you probably don't realize you can also setup recordings from the Guide. You can even click the channel logo for ABC (from the Guide), and it will bring up a schedule menu that you can scroll through and set a recording for any show that you click. It's simple and convenient, just not as convenient as being able to extend an individual show instantly (like a regular DVR, or an online cloud one like the other online services have). 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, I understand your point but it’s such an hassle, PlayStation vie, sling and, I believe, Hulu all have the option to extend any recording by 15 or 30 minutes

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

But what if I don’t know what channel is the next game going to air on. It will be too tedious to find all games and record next shows following the games
piglet12

Guru

• 

720 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, I've heard how much easier it is to set sports recordings with other services, but since I have DTVNOW, I just use nba.com and nhl.com to easily keep up. 

It's also possible to just use a quick search on DTVNOW to see the various channels and rebroadcast times on other channels like ESPN (but since schedules are done in advance, Guide errors can occur, even on game day, so upcoming DVR recordings often need to be adjusted):

https://www.directvnow.com/search?keyword=nba

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

So was there ever  an acceptable solution to this issue? I too want to record a sporting event series like pga golf or NASCAR and I want to extend the recording time by 1-2 hours for each event in case of rain delays or overtime. It’s been easy to do on all platforms in the past.  AT&T TV is the first service I’ve seen where this capability either doesn’t exist or it’s not intuitively obvious.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

5 months ago

They still haven't added a way to manually extend a recording.  However, they have added the feature that a recording will automatically extend to cover a sporting event if it is on an RSN.  (I know this has been working for baseball - I assume it works for other things.)  Unfortunately, it currently only works on RSNs because it depends on a signal in the program stream that is apparently not present on the other networks.  They have indicated, though, that they are trying to find a way to expand this to cover other networks.  Unknown why they haven't also added the manual schedule feature that has been requested since the start.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

5 months ago

I was dealing with this just the other day with the two presidential nominating conventions.  The only solution I was able to come up with was to program a recording for the show programmed to air right after the convention.  A bit klugy, but it worked.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Come on ATT.  This is a basic function that your competition has and even your older service offerings have.  Love the service but I cant recommend to anyone until this minor flaw is fixed.  This problem is a BIG DEAL to anyone who watches sports using your service. 

Get started...

Ask a new question