Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
T

• 

1 Message

Tue, Aug 4, 2020 4:41 PM

How to avoid streaming limit?

I have AT&T Now, which I access though my Roku. Ever couple of weeks or so I'll get an error saying I've reached my streaming limit, which is odd because no one else is watching it. Chat support has walked me through process which takes about 20 minutes or so. How should I be leaving the App to ensure its fully closed out, thus, avoiding confusing the system into thinking I've reached my streaming limit?

Responses

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

2 months ago

Back arrow until you're prompted to exit. Simply turning off your TV won't exit the app. And don't forget about other device that might be using the app, like your phone or computer.

Also consider using the individual network apps with your AT&T login. Those don't count against your streaming limit.

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

What about if I just click the Home key on my Roku remote, which is how I usually do it?  At first, I would hit the back key over and over until I finally got the prompt to exit, but I decided that took too long so I took to just hitting the home key.  Is that a mistake?

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

2 months ago

As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on that. Some apps continue to run in the background when you hit Home. You can tell because those apps start back instantly rather than boot up through the opening splash screen when you relaunch them. Not sure if AT&T TV app is like that or not. Considering how annoying it is to get support to clear your open sessions, I prefer to play it safe.

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

You got me curious, so I decided to test it.  The behavior was identical when I re-opened the app.  I got the splash screen, then an announcement of what channel was about to play (the last channel I had playing), that channel loaded up and started to play.  So it would appear that backing out with the back key or hitting Home has the same effect.

Then I tested what would happen if I just turned off the TV and then turned it back on.  Sure enough, it took me right back to the same frame of video on which I had paused before turning the TV off.

So yes, turning off TV, bad.  Hitting Roku home key, good.  That saves folks a little time, I hope.

Get started...

Ask a new question