Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!
Ty4444

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

Sun, Mar 11, 2018 1:51 PM

How can I watch the Zoo on Animal planet?

I didn't catch it live. Can't add it to my watch list. Can't access the Animal planet app. This is 2018, even in the 80's we had a VCR

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Ty4444

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Jrandomuser How do you know they have to pay extra for app access?  Of course the Networks want you to use the apps. They can get subscription and add revenue By the way it took me 10 minutes to Find the new episode of Wicked Tuna. On demand lists Season 4 episode 14 as new, we are up to season 7. Had to manually go to 72 hr rewind and look into each episode to see the air date. Even with that, no episode, season or original air date is listed. Service cancelled. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

2 years ago

If its not in the OnDemand section with DirecTV Now then you will need other means to get the network. As you stated, DirecTV Now does not currently support signing in to the app.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

2 years ago

Att has committed to providing DVR service for DTVN in the spring, but no pricing details. 

OTT services like this are unlikely to get app support from broadcasters based on price point. I suspect app support will be a package deal for traditional cable service. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ty4444

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

I guess you haven't researched other OTT providers which have the missing app support. Even Philo at $16 a month and PlayStation vue have it. The only other services that  carry the Discovery channels. Stop giving AT&T a pass and comparing them to cable, when there are other streaming services that are comparable.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

Yes, but Philo has a pretty restricted set of channels (no broadcast - or any of their multitude of affiliated cable nets; no Time Warner; because of those, no news or business news at all except BBC News; no sports at all; no Spanish language; no minor nets; etc.), and obviously they doesn't provide access to apps for any channels they don't carry - it's hard to call them comparable to DTVN.  If your major interest is Discovery or FoodTV or Comedy Central, then you might well be good with Philo - but it's way too limited for my needs.  PS Vue is much closer to DTVN in both cost and coverage.  It does currently have a DVR and has app login for pretty much everything they carry, but they don't carry any ViaCom or A&E nets,and even if you pay for the extra package, have limited Spanish (missing both major nets), and again, lack app access for channels they don't carry.   None of the OTT services are yet functionally or content wise equivalent to most full-fare cable or satellite services, but they cost less, and each offers a different set of features and content.  You have to pick your own tradeoffs.

Ty4444

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Jrandomuser@  So what does any of that do with Direc tv now giving you access to content unless you watch it live?

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

2 years ago

@Ty4444

No passes given. When I check apps for which companies are supported, I never see OTT choices. 

Maybe that will change, and it would be welcomed. I'd be tempted to give DTVN another spin around the block.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

What it has to do with is that all of these companies pay for content - all content - and the lower income services (specifically the streaming services) have less money available per subscriber to pay.  Let's take DTVN and PS Vue - they are comparably priced.  So let's say that for a given subscription tier, they have $30 to spend on content (after all of their infrastructure and other direct costs for providing the service and profit, etc.).  Assume that $26 of it pays for content they basically have in common.  With the remaining $4, they can choose to get Viacom networks and their apps, the A&E networks and their apps,  and the Turner networks and Discovery networks but without their apps, or they can get the Turner networks and Discovery networks with their apps, but no Viacom networks or A&E networks at all.  I'm guessing that was a choice - and DTVN went with the first, while PS Vue went with the second.  You want all of everything?  Pay more to get a solid cable or satellite package and you probably can.  But for the streaming companies to achieve that, they would need to charge more (certainly at least at their current level of negotiating power) and lower price is the bulk of their advantage now - eliminate that and there isn't much point to them.  As things stand, it's all tradeoffs.

Ty4444

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

Don't get where you think Services have to pay for App access. Networks want you to use their apps, because they get tons of add revenue. I can see Dtv now on demand not being updated, because networks want you to use their apps. No excuses for neither app access or on demand updated. 

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

Of course they have to pay - everything from a content provider costs money.  If you think the app access is free (rather than a revenue source for the content providers), then why do you think they require you to sign into the apps at all?  The content providers would obviously get even more eyeballs if they let everyone watch - but they don't, because they get significant revenue from the carriers for access to their content in various ways.  I get the feeling you don't really have a good understanding of the economics involved here...

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

2 years ago

If Amazon were to offer a Prime perk that included access to broadcaster apps, that would be a head-turner. But as things stand now, it’s up to the aggregator to make the deals. 

BTW, I have U-verse U450 for full disclosure. One of the main apps I use is BEIN Sports. Not an easy cost affordable channel package to get hold of. 

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

I would be surprised if many content providers would be interested in selling access to just their apps - my guess is that they make more off offering live streams, with app access only as an add-on.  I would think if they provided access to their apps (unbundled, for less money) they would be cannibalizing their own sales.  It is similar to the situation with people's desire for ala carte access to live channels - there isn't a lot of incentive for the content providers, so the only way they are likely to do it is to price channels (especially the popular one) high enough that there would be no particular benefit to the consumer to go ala carte.  

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

2 years ago

@Jrandomuser

I despise what CBS did but if they think that's a good business model, time will tell. In my Amazon example, a la carte is one option, but they could easily cut their own deal as Apple has been trying unsuccessfully to do on their own for a few years.  Just some random musings...  ☺

Ty4444

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

Was Watching the New Wicked Tuna Episode. Hit the home button on my Fire tv to do something. Came back to Direc tv now. Didn't save what I was watching. Had to go back to 72 hr rewind and guess which episode again and of course I have to watch from the beginning. Was any thought put into developing this service  and Don't tell me oh well it's cheaper than cable