Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

Thu, Dec 1, 2016 9:46 PM

HERES HOW TO WATCH DIRECTV NOW ON LINUX MINT/UBUNTU

if you mainly use linux (mint/ubuntu) as your main operating system, you can watch directv now on your linux pc...if you dont have the chrome browser, start firefox and go to chrome.com...download chrome....then add a new user agent of your newly installed chrome browser.  IT WORKS, because it works for me.

after downloading and installing the chrome browser on your linux pc, start chrome browser then go to the link below and install the following extension by clicking on the ADD TO CHROME: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-g/ffhkkpnppgnfaobgihpdblnhmmbodake...

once installed, click on the user agent icon located at the top right ow your browser, left click on it and then click on OPTION...then click on NEW USER AGENT...a box will pop up, add new name for your chrome browser (example:  chrome 2)...the copy and paste the user string below:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/54.0.2840.71 Safari/537.36

once created, select this newly created user string, left clicking on the user string icon located at the top right of your browser, select the user string you just created by clicking on the drop down menu and look for the name of the user string you just created...then go to directv now and log in...should work, if not, close your browser and re-open.

hope it works for you

ps, please come back and give your feedback if it works or not...

by the way, doing this in your chromebook might work too, i havent tried it yet because im at work and i dont have my chromebook with me...if you have a chromebook, please try this method and post back...thanks!!!

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @dajuice32,

We are sorry about the issues. The Chromebook browser is not a supported browser. You can try to see if you can get another browser on the Chromebook. Here is a list of supported browsers and devices.

UPDATE: So solution post above for Chromebook - Linux iterations

Let us know your success and solutions. Remember that this community is a peer to peer environment and works best when we all share knowledge. Thanks for your contribution, @razmahtaz001Smiley Happy

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I'm able to stream on a crappy old PC laptop that is barely working, but both my wife and I use Chromebooks. And it will not stream on either of them.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Any word on when it will become a supported browser?

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

DIRECTVNOWCare The Chromebook uses a version of the Chrome Browser that is supported. There is no reason this should not function as it does on a PC or Mac with the Chrome Browser. There must be an error in the way the browser support check is being done or the user agent that is being detected. There are no other browsers that can be used on a Chromebook other than Google Chrome. The current version of Chrome running on my Chromebook is "54.0.2840.101 (64-bit)". Can we please get this issue escalated to the Development Team and get a ticket opened to track this issue and it's resolution? 

jdcarpe

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

I'm betting it won't stream on Linux, either. It has to do with DRM, and some underlying things called EME and NSS in HTML5. It's not DIRECTVNOW's fault, but Chrome OS which is the culprit.

knipster

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Got it to work on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 by using  a User-Agent Spoofing plug-in and sending this to directvnow.com:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/Chrome/54.0.2840.100 Safari/537.36"

Not sure if this will work with chrome book.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Doesn't work on my chromebook either....

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much!  I can confirm that this works on an Acer c720 Chromebook.  I used a chrome extention called "User-Agent Switcher for Google Chrome", added the user agent info that knipster provided and was able to start watching.  I also dual boot Linux on my Chromebook but wasn't able to get any of the streams working in Linux.  Oh well, I'm happy with at least one working.  Now they just need to start working on a decent Android TV app...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Can you say more about what you did? I have the extension but I don't understand how to enter the user agent info.  I get a drop down menu with choices of browsers, and I'm not sure what to enter when I go into options/settings. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I was able to get both my Ubuntu laptop and chromebook (Asus C300) to work, and cast to my Chromecast.

I used the Chrome develper tools console and 'Network Conditions' tab to set choose a different user agent. I chose 'Chrome 52 - Windows' from the dropdown list.

Search for 'linux' or 'no linux support' (something to that effect) in the forums for my detailed instructions on how to use the Chrome developer tools.

The same thread has reports of the above mentioned extension working for Linux. 

Although I have not tried it yet, you might try using the developer tools to emulate a supported device, check the list of supported devices. The developer tools can emulate most popular ones, to include iphones, ipads, samsung devices and other Android phones and tablets.

Good luck, let's hope we get some native support for our favorite OS's soon.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Tried the Chrome developer tools device emulator. While it works, it works too good. DirecTV Now detects that it is a mobile device and takes you, in my case, to the Play Store to install the app.

If you are lucky enough to own one of the Chromebooks that can run Android apps, then perhaps this might work, or maybe just installing the app directly, without the emulation.

I'm on the ChromeOS dev channel, and while it has been reported that my C300 is supported for Android apps, I'm not seeing it yet.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Your answer is of no help at all.  You should know and understand your platform and the basic user devices.  Chromebook has become a major player in laptops.  Several of us at my home only use Chromebook .. unless we have to use Windows for something that requires IE (like some government sites).  AT&T should be better than that.  I am surprised that it does not work day 1.  Same for Firestick audio delay of over 1 second. And, after reading that Apple TV works, I have an older AppleTV box, and there is no app for it.  It does work (quite well) on Android smartphones - so that is a good thing, but out of 4 devices (firestick, Android phone, AppleTV, Chromebook), so far, DirecTV Now gets a score of 1 out of 4. That is a failing grade.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

@jdcarpe Given that it is a simple user agent string that is all that needs to be changed to get DirecTV Now to work on both Linux and ChromeOS, it doesn't look like it is some other underlying DRM or other things you mentioned.

This one appears to be on AT&T and DirecTV, not Google/ChromeOS.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Can you please explain the steps you took @toyap84? I added the extension but I'm lost after that

nomascable

Scholar

• 

119 Messages

4 years ago

it only works on these formats. fire tv, pc,  apple.

all others will have to wait like roku. welcome to the digital age.