Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Tue, Sep 13, 2016 5:52 PM

Having Trouble with your AT&T TV NOW Stream?

Streaming Device.jpg

A few things can impact your streaming experience and you have the power to fix many of them. Learn what affects your stream and things you can do about it

The speed you need

Heads Up: We recommend testing with one device using a wired connection. This will give you a better idea of your actual speeds. Your speed test should match up with your internet plan.

• Wireless weakens over distance. If your bars are low on your device, improve your Wi-Fi.
  • Not all devices work the same. Test each device one at a time to see if one of them is using more speed that it should. 

Improve the Stream

If connecting wireless, there are several things that can be done to improve the signal, such as:

• Changing the Wireless Channel: If you have AT&T Internet, check out how to change your Wireless Channel for NVG/Motorola and 2Wire/Pace)
  • Removing Environmental Interference: Speakers and other electronics can impact speeds. Take a look at this graphic for more information.
  • Reducing the number of devices: The more devices connected, the slower speeds can be.
  • Updating your plan: Have extra bandwidth to compensate for X-factors (additional devices, streams requiring more bandwidth). If you have AT&T service, log into your account at att.com to see what upgrades are available!

Tips to Speed up your Equipment

• Scan for viruses.
  • Close all programs you are not using.
  • Clear your browser’s cache/cookies.
  • Make sure the Network Adapter is functioning properly (updated drivers).
  • Disable hardware acceleration for older computers/internet devices.
  • Reduce internet device's memory usage to have memory available for streaming.
  • Disable firewalls.

Happy Streaming!!

-ATTCustomerCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

UncleNine

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

Sorry "Professor." I think you are an apologist for AT&T. The performance of DTVN is universally sub-par. Admittedly, I only access the service from one ISP in one location, but I have consistently good results with all the other streaming services I mentioned in my OP, and consistently terrible, poor, sub-par, unacceptable results with DTVN at this location. I also subscribed to SlingTV for about a year and had good results there too. I do no believe DTVN is improving -anything- at all.

I reiterate: AT&T should be investigated for fraud. I believe they never intended to offer a viable service. I believe, long-term, they simply intended to collect some $10's of millions per month from occasional/non-critical users, after real users abandoned ship and went to a real service. Like from me, they continue to collect $30 or $40 per month from habitual land-line subscribers who -never- use their land-line. There are a lot of suckers out there. I now pay for DTVN, but click on it 4 or 5 times a month. I am close to abandoning as well.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

3 years ago

I am not an apologist - just a user that isn't having the sorts of problems you are reporting.  I did have some levels of problems early in the year, and those problems (aside from with the time-shifting features) have improved for me.  Note: I am only talking about my experience, but then you can really only talk about your experience - trying to generalize to all users from either of us isn't reasonable.  

If your experience is that bad, and you had good experiences with a different service - go to that other service.  It doesn't really make sense to pay for a service that doesn't work for you, and which you don't really use, especially if there are alternatives that do work for you.  Similarly, why would you keep (and keep paying for) a landline that you don't use?  I dropped mine a couple of years ago. (I switched the number to Google Voice, and bought a cheapy VoIP device for the home phone - so a one time $30 cost - and when that stopped working recently, I realized that almost the only calls we ever got on it were just junk calls - and almost none of those - so rather than fixing it, I just forwarded the number to my cell phone - and have gotten only 1 call from that number in the several months since I did this.)  You have to do what works (and is economic) for you.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
UncleNine

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Directv now is a total piece of crap!   Not only is the picture grainy, it is even skewed and warped due to the inferior technology being used.  I have zero problems with netflix, hulu and amazon on my roku box.   Quite a shame as ATT used to be hi- tech... now they are proving they are toilet bowl technology.

UncleNine

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

It appears that Roku's latest OS release(8.0.0) broke DTVN.  Everything else (Netflix, HBO Now, Vudu--all channels--) are fine, except, of course, DTVN. 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

I have DTVN on Amazon FireTV, Firestick, PC, Android, and Apple Ipad.  Typically see anywhere between 150mbit and 400mbit on speedtests.  

The problem devices are the Amazon products.  Saw lots of buffering and the quality constantly adjusting.  Some times adjusting the quality so bad stock tickers are hard to read because of the dithering. 

Using my router, I placed a 6mbit rate limit on the Amazon devices and the buffering/quality issues went away.    Now the picture stays on high definition and no longer buffers.

DTVN should integrate a quality setting within their product.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same issue. By no means is it my equipment. I have Amazon fire. I have a Triple channel wireless router. I have a 16X modem. I have download speeds capable of support Netflix streaming on 4 devices simultaneously. I shut everything down but the one firestick and I get buffering issues on Directv now.

It's not me.. It's you.  

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

That seems a bit harsh.  I've had it for a while now and for most of time it works well.  I recently had some problems but it's not persistent and it's not happening right now.  I have wondered if the evil empire, Spectrum, is slowing the throughput on DTN.  It's competition after all.  It's totally doable even if it's illegal until the yahoos in Washington revoke net neutrality.  But, I digress...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I got the trial on Tuesday.   Yesterday (Wednesday) my wife was trying to watch the Warriors game and the buffering issue described started.   That is very irritating, especially since I am trying to convince her to move away from cable.   This issue does not occur with any other streaming service I have tried.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

These solutions are terrible and don't work for me

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Streaming title.jpgIt's not your equipment!

It's not your "evil Cable Co."!

It's the incapable AT&T/DirectTVnow people.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have been using Directvnow for around 4 months now and have been patient but consider me a thorn in your side now.

I am on a Fiber optic connection with up to 1Gb service. Attached you will see the latest speed test. You say I need 6Mbps? How about 242Mbps? 

But YET I still am getting a lot of buffering every single time I use this service on my PC or Roku TV or Roku or BRAND NEW 4K Apple TV unit. The device makes no difference.

The connection is far above and beyond what you suggest. I also attached a speakeasy quality of service test and a Google Speed test.

I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY ISSUE.

NONE OF THEM NEED TO BUFFER MULTIPLE TIMES DURING A SHOW.

My patience is done.

I am paying for a service. You need to hold Directv's feet to the fire and get this fixed NOW. 

You have had over a year to work out the bugs. 

GET TO WORK!

googlespeedtest.JPGQualitytest.JPG

speedtest.JPG

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

3 years ago

I hope you know that you are just ranting to other users like yourself here in this user community forum - and I do not blame you. There are no support personnel located in this forum. I strongly suggest you contact support over and over again and voice your issues. Unfortunately we can not help you here. Wish we could.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

My bandwidth and connection are perfect. Literally all my other Roku apps never buffer or cut out...only DirecTv Now...funny the stream is always better on commercials. No error codes, just cutting out every five seconds or less during the same time every day and yes, Intedt bandwidth always at those times. Again no issue with my internet service provider, which, thankfully isn't ATT!

can you explain????

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

My bandwidth and connection are perfect. Literally all my other Roku apps never buffer or cut out...only DirecTv Now...funny the stream is always better on commercials. No error codes, just cutting out every five seconds or less during the same time every day and yes, Intedt bandwidth always at those times. Again no issue with my internet service provider, which, thankfully isn't ATT!

can you explain????

Get started...

Ask a new question