Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Tue, Sep 13, 2016 5:52 PM

Having Trouble with your AT&T TV NOW Stream?

Streaming Device.jpg

A few things can impact your streaming experience and you have the power to fix many of them. Learn what affects your stream and things you can do about it

The speed you need

Heads Up: We recommend testing with one device using a wired connection. This will give you a better idea of your actual speeds. Your speed test should match up with your internet plan.

• Wireless weakens over distance. If your bars are low on your device, improve your Wi-Fi.
  • Not all devices work the same. Test each device one at a time to see if one of them is using more speed that it should. 

Improve the Stream

If connecting wireless, there are several things that can be done to improve the signal, such as:

• Changing the Wireless Channel: If you have AT&T Internet, check out how to change your Wireless Channel for NVG/Motorola and 2Wire/Pace)
  • Removing Environmental Interference: Speakers and other electronics can impact speeds. Take a look at this graphic for more information.
  • Reducing the number of devices: The more devices connected, the slower speeds can be.
  • Updating your plan: Have extra bandwidth to compensate for X-factors (additional devices, streams requiring more bandwidth). If you have AT&T service, log into your account at att.com to see what upgrades are available!

Tips to Speed up your Equipment

• Scan for viruses.
  • Close all programs you are not using.
  • Clear your browser’s cache/cookies.
  • Make sure the Network Adapter is functioning properly (updated drivers).
  • Disable hardware acceleration for older computers/internet devices.
  • Reduce internet device's memory usage to have memory available for streaming.
  • Disable firewalls.

Happy Streaming!!

-ATTCustomerCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I've had DIRECTV now for 4 days and 3 of those I have been unable to watch. Its ridiculous that there is no app for my Surface 4, I downloaded Chrome & Silverlight, yet still having to go thru Directvnow.com to 'try' and watch has been a horrible experience so far. I love the amount of channels u have, I love all the On Demand material and the fact that even though my city doesn't have NBC, ABC & Fox I can still watch some of my favorite shows from those channels On Demand. HOWEVER...none of that is worth anything if I can't get it to work. Day 2 I received error 40 message ALL day on my surface (even though my iPhone 7 app was working) I must be able to watch on my surface or I will have to cancel my subscription. Good thing I haven't cancelled my Sling sub. because I had to use it! Day 3 the website worked again in the morning, but as I was trying to watch history channel it kept freezing on a commercial msg & I had to arrow back and restart. Then when trying to watch On Demand old episodes of American Pickers it kept freezing up every 30 seconds or so, on all episodes, and was unwatchable. Back to Sling!
When are these issues going to be resolved? And even though I own Apple products and they are great, not everyone owns everything Apple and I'd like to have an app for my Surface and to stop having to put up with all these extra problems that I'm having on my Surface.
?????????
DTVNever

Mentor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and say that I haven't been able to use DTVNow in several days due to Error 40. I have a roku and could screen mirror over to it no problem if I didn't get an Error 40. I'm currently subscribed to a service that is 100% down and has been for days with no formal update from AT&T that I'm aware of.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Worst customer service from any tv provider  Using amazon firestick have to reboot firestick now every 2 hrs att your days with me are numbered 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Directv Now completely sucks!!! I have Sling TV as backup but I prefer Directv now - but at this point I'm thinking of getting rid of it, doesnt make any sense that Directv now would bring this on board and at least not work out some of the kinks, I understand with anything new there will be hiccups, but this is just crazy and unfair to those of us who is putting money into your product. WE DESERVE BETTER!! GET IT FIXED NOW!!!

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Dropped NFL game starts three times, twice requiring logging in again (FireTV stick). That is extremely annoying. The problem is NOT on this end. I'm on 1 gig Fibre. Have 65 years electronics experience. You need to fix your end!
kulflyer

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

4 years ago

Login loop galore! Whee!!!

AppleTV - Login, select a channel, Login, error saying stream can't be played, go back to main screen, select channel again, Login, rinse and repeat. ESPN, Bravo, TNT. Gave up after the 4th login request. 

Moved the PS4 from the other room over and voila! Back in business.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

It's not just you.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Where are these helpful hints?

UncleNine

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

The key troubleshooting mechanism for DirecTV Now on Roku is to compare EVERY OTHER streaming service on exactly the same HW.  MLB.tv, Netflix, HBO Go, Vudu, Sling TV--and more--work very well on ALL of my Roku 3's, located all around the house.  No, all the above "challenges" are just nonsense.  Something is terribly wrong with DirecTV Now on (at least) Roku 3.

AT&T streaming resources, or the AT&T Roku software, are just plain inadequate.  Performance STINKS on my Roku 3's.  And in fact, the SW interface stinks too.  I am convinced that high-school kids are running this operation.  SHAME !

When does it leave "Beta" or "Preview" status and GET FIXED ?????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Very disappointed with direct now. Live tv usually looks to be in 480, "On demand" is completely unwatchable due to buffering, and live tv buffers to much. I was on vue but left due to the price increase (35 To 55) but that extra 20 is looking to be well worth the cost give way superior product vue is. Given that I've seen similar comments for the past yr I'm not hopeful AT&T will make this a viable product. They are 10 yrs behind everyone else (Netflix, vie, Hulu, sling, free air tv, etc.....
bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

3 years ago

What device are you using?

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

The AppleTV app responsiveness is getting worse and worse by the day. We have several and have even completed restored and re downloaded the app. The initial boot up of the app prior to seeing live TV has become slow. And changing stations, whether swiping, or attempting to go through the guide have become painstakingly sluggish. You click to select another live station. And it just pauses for 10-15 seconds before finally changing. Once would hope to have some resemblance of being able to channel surf. But it’s surfing in Quicksand. I often think that perhaps it didn’t recognize a channel selection click. But then you’re finding yourself clicking several times waiting for the staton to finally change.

It’s becoming very tough to justify this cost. Only the free HBO is keeping me, as AT&T offered that free for a year due to the rocky launch. Sling is offering a decent package for only $25. It’s responsive but just has a clunky guide interface. More of a view of genres and types of channels, rather than a listed guide.

AT&T please help and resolve this.
UncleNine

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

Interesting how threads are marked "Solved" when there is no solution whatsoever.  DTVN is a failure.  Performance is a failure.  Interface is a failure.  In fact, it is so bad, that AT&T should be investigated for fraud.  I question whether they ever intended to produce a viable product. 

UncleNine

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

3 years ago

It doesn't matter -what- "device you are using."  DTVN is a failure on all devices I have used:  Roku 3 & 4, Apple TV 4, Android, and Windows 7.  All of them exhibit high levels of buffering, failure to launch, guide failure, very poor UI and more, on ALL devices.  Each time I read the "tips" from so-called 'employees' I get heartburn.  None of the other streaming services that I use require any of these 'tips' to work just fine:  Netflix, Sling, Vudu, MLB.tv--NONE of them require anything but load an go.  DTVN just doesn't work.  AT&T provided too little bandwidth to meet -any- kind of reasonable demand.  In fact, I feel AT&T should be investigated for fraud.  IMHO, they never intended to provide a viable product.  Total false advertising.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9.3K Messages

3 years ago

I think it varies a lot (by customer, location, something).  I personally have none of the problems you list (except perhaps very occasionally and briefly - on par with what I had on cable) on iOS, ATV, Win10/Chrome, or Roku.  To me, it is a completely viable product (albeit, with a number of additional needed features).  Why  some customers have fine experiences while others have significant problems is a question that they should have been able to answer by now, but it is pretty clear that the percentage of the customers that are still having major and persistent problems with basic streaming must be relatively small - it is no longer a major topic in industry stories, and their customer base is growing.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question