Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Tue, Sep 13, 2016 5:52 PM

Having Trouble with your AT&T TV NOW Stream?

Streaming Device.jpg

A few things can impact your streaming experience and you have the power to fix many of them. Learn what affects your stream and things you can do about it

The speed you need

Heads Up: We recommend testing with one device using a wired connection. This will give you a better idea of your actual speeds. Your speed test should match up with your internet plan.

• Wireless weakens over distance. If your bars are low on your device, improve your Wi-Fi.
  • Not all devices work the same. Test each device one at a time to see if one of them is using more speed that it should. 

Improve the Stream

If connecting wireless, there are several things that can be done to improve the signal, such as:

• Changing the Wireless Channel: If you have AT&T Internet, check out how to change your Wireless Channel for NVG/Motorola and 2Wire/Pace)
  • Removing Environmental Interference: Speakers and other electronics can impact speeds. Take a look at this graphic for more information.
  • Reducing the number of devices: The more devices connected, the slower speeds can be.
  • Updating your plan: Have extra bandwidth to compensate for X-factors (additional devices, streams requiring more bandwidth). If you have AT&T service, log into your account at att.com to see what upgrades are available!

Tips to Speed up your Equipment

• Scan for viruses.
  • Close all programs you are not using.
  • Clear your browser’s cache/cookies.
  • Make sure the Network Adapter is functioning properly (updated drivers).
  • Disable hardware acceleration for older computers/internet devices.
  • Reduce internet device's memory usage to have memory available for streaming.
  • Disable firewalls.

Happy Streaming!!

-ATTCustomerCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Fire tv stick 2. Prime and Hulu stream fine. DirecTV now displays the blue buffering widget every 20 sec or the image just freezes with the sound continuing. App also crashes sometimes when the screen freezes.

tbird635

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

The buffering (blue box ) / dropped connection issue.....Marked as "solved"? I don't think so.

TI went through ALL the DirecTV troubleshooting steps listed above, to eliminate any possible issues on my end.  I went through every possible solution posted, from static Google dns / static IP, to  reinstalling the app, to resetting the Fire TV Stick to defaults, to setting it's resolution to 720p, to even testing it with wifi security disabled completely .

Some things made a small difference, but nothing eliminated it completely. It just plain is losing it's received packet data.

More server bandwidth appears to be the best solution to this issue. The problem is far worse after 6 pm EST, when DTV Now subscribers are home from work.

I think, as a temporary fix,  a bigger buffer on the device may help considerably, but take up additional space. I'd take that as an acceptable interim solution. It should also lighten the load on the servers/connections.

Fewer requests mean less traffic.

Are they lsitening?

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

He!! no they are not listening. They will tell you to unplug your toaster and reboot the garage door opener. Jump up and down three times then walk to the nearest bar to watch the game.

The streaming is PATHETIC. MUCH worse than PS Vue was. I have gone cold turkey with football- without wanting to. It is a sportsfan's nightmare DIRECTV NOW. That godd@mned blue horizontal line then just buffering. I was even BLOCKED out of the Fox PREGAME show Sunday. Not that it mattered as I was unable to watch either of the two Fox games anyway as it just buffered all day.

This service truly sux and they couldn't care less. Try getting support. Good luck. VERY disappointed. I had such high hopes. All gone now.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

That is not a problem. That IS DirecTV Now's BUFFERING FEATURE. It is an extra bonuse feature to keep you from watching too much tv. If your fave shows weren't buffering they would probably black you out (for no good reason) anyway. DirecTV Now= carbuncle oozing pus.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

You have solved NOTHING. ZIPPO! I was blacked out of NFL Fox PREGAME SHOW!!!! For WHAT REASON!!!!! Then the buffering started with the early game into the late game. I guess it is a violent sport and you don't want me to see it? Let me know when you get a clue. YOU HAVE SOLVED NOTHING!!!!

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

Yes their support is unique and.........'special'. Just like what I clean up from under my dogs twice a day.  The blue horizontal line that leads to..........buffering. And more buffering. And then more. Buffering and then some. Then once more. Then I turn it off and go back to Amazon Prime. This is a waste of time and cash. A carbuncle oozing pus. Those old rich white guys that held the press conference should be jailed. No wonder Taylor didn't even show up. G A R B A G E

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

There is nothing to "fix". This IS DirecTV Now. The buffering is part of the package. Very small print with white text. Who needs this aggravation?

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

This is really not an error. This IS DirecTV Now. The buffering feces is part of the package. Ask them if they care. If you can.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

These are corporate thieves with no sense of pride in their product. They refuse to offer service support of any kind. There should be a senate investigation. The good news is that IF they truly invested any money in this boondoggle they will lose it all. Who will keep paying for such a wastebag of bad technology?  I shall make it my mission with my Twitter community to share the message of constant buffering and lack of support.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

Actually this is NOT a problem. The buffering feature is built-in to the package price. The buffering gives you time to read and get housework done. BUT do NOT give up on internet TV. Someone will come along and perfect this and SUPPORT it as well. These corporate thieves took the money and ran on this failed feces fallout of bad technology and absent support.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

So how many devices can I buffer on at once? Typically I only buffer on one at a time and was unaware that I could miss out on football games on TWO devices buffering at the same time. What a wonderful feces-filled product you have created. Are you proud of yourselves? You will all be out of jobs soon and that will be delightful.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

Understand that these folks are mongrels and cretins. They couldn't care less that you are paying for a product that does not work. I buffer after work and on weekends. If I was home during the day I would buffer then as well. These thieves actually think this is funny. A pox on all their houses. Jobs will be lost there soon and that is a blessing.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

They know what a disaster it is. They just don't care. They are having an online forum during a workday. There will be feces flying left and right with the word "reboot" used more than the word "solution". These folks are on the lower end of the morality food chain. They knew well that this product would just be a buffering disaster and didn't care. They cashed the checks. Luckily they will all soon be unemployed and hopefully the elites that built this boondoggle will be jailed. I wish they would have added a holiday soundtrack to the constant buffering so you can hear some music while watching nothing. I was going to watch the Yule Log but realized it would only buffer the whole time and extinguish the fire. We sure got taken for a ride.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

4 years ago

Happy BUFFERING, you mean. It buffers in the morning, it buffers in the night. It buffers when the moon is full or if it's out of sight. A good name for this feces-focused service would have been "BUFFY".

- Buffering in Eagan, MN

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Same here   ...... after 6 it is just terrible. i have apple tv and it freezes.  i have a rock solid 150 mbps download andf 12 mbps upload. Hulu, netflix ...any other app works flawlessly.......not this load of crap though. i guess we are beta testers and we pay for it

Get started...

Ask a new question