Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Tue, Sep 13, 2016 5:52 PM

Having Trouble with your AT&T TV NOW Stream?

Streaming Device.jpg

A few things can impact your streaming experience and you have the power to fix many of them. Learn what affects your stream and things you can do about it

The speed you need

Heads Up: We recommend testing with one device using a wired connection. This will give you a better idea of your actual speeds. Your speed test should match up with your internet plan.

• Wireless weakens over distance. If your bars are low on your device, improve your Wi-Fi.
  • Not all devices work the same. Test each device one at a time to see if one of them is using more speed that it should. 

Improve the Stream

If connecting wireless, there are several things that can be done to improve the signal, such as:

• Changing the Wireless Channel: If you have AT&T Internet, check out how to change your Wireless Channel for NVG/Motorola and 2Wire/Pace)
  • Removing Environmental Interference: Speakers and other electronics can impact speeds. Take a look at this graphic for more information.
  • Reducing the number of devices: The more devices connected, the slower speeds can be.
  • Updating your plan: Have extra bandwidth to compensate for X-factors (additional devices, streams requiring more bandwidth). If you have AT&T service, log into your account at att.com to see what upgrades are available!

Tips to Speed up your Equipment

• Scan for viruses.
  • Close all programs you are not using.
  • Clear your browser’s cache/cookies.
  • Make sure the Network Adapter is functioning properly (updated drivers).
  • Disable hardware acceleration for older computers/internet devices.
  • Reduce internet device's memory usage to have memory available for streaming.
  • Disable firewalls.

Happy Streaming!!

-ATTCustomerCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

1 Attachment

Responses

demhinds

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

3 years ago

No kidding, Josie. It's TV. It should be the easiest thing in the world, even when using new technology. Other companies are not having these problems. I should absolutely NOT have to uninstall and reinstall the app every other day (no exaggeration) or watch programming through a separate network app. It is absolute nonsense.

It's a shame, I like the interface -- someone there really thought out the layout, features and the functionality quite well, but then it's like they quit there. Just release it! Who cares if it is garbage? We'll get nearly a million suckers to pay for this for a year while we figure out how to do what Sling has been doing for years!

Ugh. It is safe to say I also wanted this to work and am equal parts upset at how bad the service is as I am as how little the company cares. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Guys, think about it, a powerful pc and buffering issues, an android phone (Galaxy 7) and no issues.... I reduced the video resolution on my pc from HD quality to pc quality, 1400 x 600? (anything is fine as long as it isnt HD) and no issues at all... tried a bunch of other fixes... the DNS settings for Chrome did help as well but not this good. You can google that tutorial but the DNS settings are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Chrome specifically.

Reply for clarity, sorry Im not a tech support guy, just an average computer user.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have Google Fiber and consistently get 800Mb+ up and down and I have buffering issues... Its your service, not your customers... I would stick with your service over all the other options out there right now if it were not for the buffering issues... Very disappointing... 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have 60 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up, tested. I have no problems streaming Amazon Prime or Netflix, but Directv Now consistently stops and starts, and the resolution goes in and out. All the hints above do not apply. This is particularly frustrating when watching sports on ESPN. I understand growing pains, but PLEASE get it together! Your subscribers deserve a smooth, consistent, high resolution feed. Please provide it.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

the streaming services stink. Stay away. Thank goodness for free trials. DO NOT use this service if you want to play on a pc!

demhinds

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

3 years ago

Folks, it will never get better because the company legitimately doesn't care. Cancel!! I did and its seriously one of the best decisions I've ever made. Cancel and avoid streaming services. They all have issues, though none nearly as bad as DirecTV Now. It. Will. Not. Get. Better. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I use both Sling & DIrectvNow and noticed that the buffering issue happens only on DirectvNow.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

3 years ago

I've been complaining about the DTVN stream since day 1.  The engineers at AT&T just don't seem to care about the stream or its resolution.  It's pretty obvious that since the buffering and blanking and resolution gets worse at night when people come home from work, that they know their servers are inadequate for the job but they don't care.   To prove to yourself that is a DTVN bandwidth issue, add the HBO GO app to your smartTV or Roku.  Activate it properly with your DTVN credentials.  Then watch a movie directly from HBO GO.  No buffering or blanking will occur.  Then go back to DTVN and watch any channel...the buffering and blanking are back.  This is NOT an equipment related issue.  This is a measure of the horrible robustness of the DTVN system.  You can also go direct to the AMC app, watch it live...no blanking/buffering.  The watch via DTVN....terrible intermittent black screens and rotating blue rectangles.  When will this get fixed? Never.

demhinds

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

3 years ago

They are crooks, plain and simple. I've never been so happy to cancel a service and given my money to another company. A company that obviously gives a hoot and listens to their customers. It. Is. So. Refreshing. I was once you and I didn't even realize how stressed DTVN was making me until I didn't have to deal with it anymore. And I agree, they KNOW it doesn't work and they dont care. They are selling a product that they know doesn't work while advertising features for it that they know don't work. It's fraud. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I agree with everything already stated. There's something wrong on their end. It's not on the users side, and to suggest that it is, is just wrong. 

I have AT&T Fiber and have been using Playstation Vue for a year and a half with no issues. Sometimes up to 4 people streaming at 1 time. No issues. 

Signed up for DirecTV Now trial and didn't make it past the 2nd day. Constant buffering and pausing of live streams and VOD. All on devices that ran fine on PSVue.

I'm trying to get away from Vue because it's getting up there in price. Signed up for SlingTV trial and all the same channels I was watching on DirecTV now that were constantly buffering worked flawlessly on SlingTV. Didn't stop one time to buffer.

DirecTV Now needs to come up with a device that they will support the App on, because it's obvious that even though they have apps on several devices, it actually only works flawlessly on very few. I can watch DirecTV Now all day long on my iphone 8plus with no buffering issues at all, but I want to watch it on my tv. Fix it and I might try it out again.

demhinds

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

3 years ago

Yeah, of all of the streaming services I've tried, Sling is the best. They have some issues as well, but nothing like dtvn. I was about to switch to Vue but went ahead and checked out their customer forum and it seems like a lot of people are also experiencing issues with buffering and whatnot, so I decided not to chance it and gave Dish Net a call. Glad I did. I'm very happy now. If you do stick with streaming, I'd definitely recommend Sling for channel selection and no real buffering issues (I had hiccups every now and then but, again, nothing like with dtvn)

I maintain that this is nothing more than a cash grab by AT&T. They will sell DTV after they've completely destroyed what was once a really great company. 

howie14

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

I'm on my second day of a seven day trail with Sling and have had two errors, both because the system got confused because I was channel surfing too quickly.

Not one buffer problem yet on either Fire Stick or Chrome.  Haven't watched the Roku much, but the short amount I did was fine.

Meanwhile, buffer, black screen, and fade out of resolution continues on the DTVN platform...I will miss the 72 hour rewind channels on DTVN as Sling doesn't have the same ones. However, that had stopped working right lately as well.

demhinds

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

3 years ago

True, but at least Sling has DVR and their Pause/FF/RW actually works! So, hopefully that will make up for it for you. I just really want everyone to cancel this awful service. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

Well it seams they are doing a good job on the new beta. I'm testing it now
on my Fire TV and I must say it works pretty well, just a few issues here
and there but over all a huge improvement from the original app. Sling TV
does work flawlessly and in most cases will be fine for most people. They
just don't have the channel offerings of Directv Now that I have grown to
like. I can't say much but the new app from Directv Now has a really cool
interface that will blow your mind and it a lot better than Sling in my
opinion. I assume AT&T is not going to put much effort in improving or
fixing the active app because of their plans to move all subscribers to the
new app which should be made available to the public in the next month or
two. It will be worth the wait. I do hope they prepare for how many more
subscribers will be connecting to the app servers. Right now it streams
beautifully, but there is a very limited number of people connected so the
demand for video streams are low. I believe a lot of their current issues
are from the high demand for content and not enough resources to deliver
that content all at once.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

It was frustrating to watch the NFL divisional championships last night because of your buffering issue. When will you fix this recurring issue? You’re turning off subscribers!

Get started...

Ask a new question