Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Jul 6, 2018 11:59 AM

Fox news channel not working

I pay for a service, included in that service is Fox news channel, one of the only reasons for me to have Direct TV Now through AT&T. Since I have been paying for the service I noticed that Fox News will not play on most occasions, while any other channel will stream with no issue. This is unacceptable, I spend money with your organization for a product that I am not receiving.  Just canceling my service is not enough satisfaction for me.  As a Consumer of your product, I want an answer as to why this is consistently a problem. This has happend across multiple mobile devices with all personal devices checked for functionality with no resolution to the primary issue.

you are limiting my ability to access the service that I pay for, either for financial and/or political reasons, this cannot be allowed to continue with no change and I will be doing everything within my legal ability's to correct this issue. After viewing others on this same platform complain about the same issue I can only conclude that not only are you not going to correct this "technical issue" but you are essentially denying a portion of paid services to your customers.  At your earliest convenience please correct the issue so that I may take advantage of the services to which I pay or a copy of this post and a detailed record of "technical issues" related to Fox News and your company will be sent to every news organization that I can, along with legal representation will understand the neglect that you are showing your customers in denial of this service. 

this does not just pertain to my account as previously mentioned, however, I will provide any necessary personal information which is required for you to complete the previously mentioned functions.

Responses

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

"...you are limiting my ability to access the service that I pay for, either for financial and/or political reasons"

It's almost certainly technical reasons, not politics or economics. We have had many folks complain here about MSNBC and make the same claim of political motivation, with no more evidence than you have for a political motivation to mess with Fox.

Both Fox and MSNBC are heavily watched, especially in Prime time, and the problems are almost certainly related to heavy demand. The fact that you only see problems with Fox says more about your viewing habits than anything else. The other channels have their fair share of problems, I can assure you.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

and one follow up question. 

How is it @beww357 that you can "assure" me of anything at all? do you work for Direct TV? 

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

Nope, don't work for anyone. Retired.

It's easy to "assure" you the other channels have problems, just read the posts here.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
RAIST5150

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

Would be nice if they could get more content providers on board with letting us authenticate to their stand-alone apps.  That way we would only be hitting ATT servers to renew the certificates periodically, and be running the streams directly from the respective content providers servers.  Used to do this with PS Vue and sometimes actually got better quality streams then when running through the PS Vue app...

With respect to FNC, just look at the list... ATT's U-Verse and DIRECTV Satellite affiliated properties can do it but not DTVN.  And guess who else is on there already?:

FuboTV

Hulu Live

Playstation Vue

You Tube TV

Seriously... freaking SONY PS VUE was able to work out a deal with some of these channels for heavens sake.  If they could negotiate a deal with the likes of FNC as well as nearly everyone else in their most BASIC lineup back when it was only $30 a month, you would THINK someone like AT&T would have the clout to pull it off as well.  DTVN is like the ONLY major player in the streaming market that DOESN'T allow authenticating to some of these apps. The only reason one of these alternatives hasn't get our business (yet) is because they lack one particular channel.

Pricewise, we would basically be at the same price point in the end... but they don't carry one channel that is important to me and me alone (I pay for it all, so I get final say).  Honestly, I may wind up testing that alternative eventually, depending on how things shake out after DTVN goes through their price increase.

When multiple options are close in cost and there are only small discrepancies in the content (some of which can be accessed elsewhere by the likes of a Hulu/Netflix/Prime Account that you are going to keep regardless)---it can quickly boil down to things like functionality, ease of use, and reliability.  Start falling too short in those categories under such stiff competition and you may loose customers.

Scholar

• 

85 Messages

2 years ago

Use this link temporarily until DTVN straightens it all out. https://vaughnlive.tv/newzviewz

RAIST5150

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

meh... newsviews really only works through a set-top box if you have a media server that can capture it, or other means to sling it to the TV.  Used it before through Play-On back before things got hosed up with the Windows 10 environment.

Probly less hassle finding it through something like the pluto tv or youtube apps.

Either way, it is ignoring the point that we want to get the better quality streams through each network's stand-alone apps.... and not necessarily just for FNC.

Not exactly good for people to recommend we resort to using something that is freely available in place of a paid service.  I mean.... seriously think about that.  People may opt to save money by switching to another service that doesn't carry the channels if they are resorting to viewing them via a free method outside of DTVN.

... oops... may have opened a Pandora's box.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue, Only with FoxNews.

Buffering, "appears to be something wrong with your connection", etc.

I agree, it appears to be political sabotage.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

PS,

ie: "Professor".

Bandwidth at prime time?

Nice try, Sounds good. But Bull!

EVERY TIME it freezes, or says I have a network issue,

All I have to do is go up a channel, and then back down,

AND IT IS THERE INSTANTLY EVERY TIME.

Sincerely,

ArtJoe

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

So it's 12:30AM PST and FNC is the only channel not working for me.  CNN, MSNBC and every other channel are chugging along just fine.  What gives???

nmstough

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

2 years ago

An alternative is to go to www.foxnow.com, or else use the FoxNow apps for fire stick, android.  You have to authenticate with your DirecTV Now credentials but it seems to work well.  

RAIST5150

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

This is about the FNC streams... not FOX, FX, etc.

They don't have a deal worked out for authenticating directly with FNC and FBC.  This is a separate group within their corporation.

nmstough

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

2 years ago

I dont agree.  If I go to www.foxnow.com (not foxnews.com) I see all the Fox channels: local channel, FX, Fox News Fox Business, FS1, FS2, etc.  And after putting in my DirecTV Now credentials I can watch any of them.  

RAIST5150

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

Not me... I get a sort of magnet page.  There are links to the other channels, which then directs me to foxnews.com and such where I can TRY to get the live feeds... but can't use DTVN credentials.  It will take DTV (satellite), but not DTVN  (streaming only):

https://www.fox.com/article/598b6e18311288001fef0f04/

FoxNow is the branding and such of the app for the non FNC channels.  FNC and FBC use a separate app.

Besides, the issue at hand here is making it available within the app, not through a website.  Can't exactly use java/flash viewers on streaming boxes like a Roku.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.9K Messages

2 years ago

There are separate apps (and I assume websites) for Fox News and Fox Business, and DTVN doesn't provide authentication for those.  The on-demand content from those are not available through the Fox NOW apps or website.  However, the live streams from Fox News channel and Fox Business channet are.  If you authenticate with your DTVN credentials, you can watch those through the Fox site or app - you don't need the specialized apps.

Doing this on the web because it makes the screen caps easier for me (but it works roughly the same on the apps).

Pulling up fox.com:

fox.com capt.JPG

Selecting Live TV brings up a grid of current live Fox streams (FWIW, I was already authenticated at this point):

fox live capt.JPG

Selecting the Fox News Channel stream (I actually selected in the "Outnumbered Overtime" box):

fnc capt.JPG

This brought up the detail for that program.  Selecting Watch Live:

fnc live capt.JPG

So I can see the live streams this way (again, not the on-demand content).  At which step are you seeing problems?

As a side note: I have no idea what will happen to all this when the Disney purchase of Fox assets closes next year.  My understanding is that News Corp (or a new company owned by News Corp) will keep Fox Broadcasting, the Fox owned stations, Fox News (which includes FNC and FBN), and the national Fox Sports assets (including Fox Sports Go).  Disney gets but will need to divest effectively immediately the Fox Sports regionals.  Disney gets all the rest (20th Century Fox and all its content, all the other "cable" nets - FX, FXX, etc. - and to the extent they own it, their content, and an assortment of other things, including majority ownership in Hulu).  Obviously this will have a substantial impact on the existing (Fox related) websites and apps - unclear if it will impact DTVN directly...

RAIST5150

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

Still does not address the core issue from the OP... acess to the streams from within the app

THAT is what needs to be addressed somehow, be that DTVN or the FOX app... so it is a practical fix for set top users as well.  Pulling it up on a laptop, tablet, or phone is not a practical solution when you are wanting to view it on a device attached to the TV (or an app installed on a smart TV).

Yes, you can cast/mirror it to the TV, provided it works well on your device... if you can even get it to load on that device.  For example, finally got to Live TV on the phone... but only after switching to Desktop Mode in the browsers (would not show in mobile mode).  Hit the drop menu to select a channel, but was not getting an authentication dialogue on the phone--tried with 3 browsers (didn't bother with Edge... that is basically just a free PDF viewer on my laptop, no use for it on my phone).  If I take the link to foxnews.com though, I get the prompt for authentication... but it only offers DTV, not DTVN.  (Stupid Marshmallow build... turns smart phones  into dumb phones sometimes)

The goal should be an option more native to the same platform people are using for everything else.  There is a DTVN app, and FNC/FoxNow apps.  Should be able to depend on at least ONE of them, preferably DTVN and one of the Fox apps so the standalone app can be a backup like we do for ESPN, TBS/TNT, the FoxNow group of channels, HGTV, etc.

You shouldn't have to resort to putting something like a laptop into the mix to cast just one or two channels to the TV's. I can already do that with all our core channels for dramatically less (actually free in fact if you want to settle for low quality streams)... but there can be worse quality/stability issues with some channels going that route.

We choose to pay a "premium" for a service AND an APP on a device that is connected directly to the TV's.  This way there is no juggling devices and/or apps to move through the channels.  Load one app and watch it all.  If that has issues, we can try the standalone app for that channel on that same device--no whipping out an additional device and jumping through extra hoops.  It was bad enough when my 74yo mother wanted to watch a bluray/dvd... thank heavens for voice search being linked to Hulu and such.

The less middleware that gets involved the better.

They need to fix things for the apps on the streaming boxes.