Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Fri, Nov 4, 2016 5:29 PM

Does Your Wi-Fi, Fly? Improve Your Streaming Experience

Having trouble with your AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW stream? Are you experiencing pixelation and buffering? Has your WI-Fi or internet been going in and out? Are you losing service? We have some helpful tips that should improve your streaming and internet experience. Click here for PC/ Browser Troubleshooting.

Bad Modem Environment Can Cause:

• Streaming pixelation and buffering
  • Slow wired and wireless speeds
  • Loss of service
  • Modem Resets

SlowPic4.png

Electronics, speakers, surge protectors, and location of the modem can impact speeds and in turn affect your streaming experience. Speakers are a major source of interference because of the magnet inside. If your environment resembles the image to the left, there is a good chance your services are being effected. Surge protectors can also cause resets. Plugging the modem into a wall outlet can resolve this.

FastPic4.png

Proper Modem Environment Can:

• Improve your streaming experience
  • Improve Wireless Speeds
  • Improve Wi-Fi signal distance
  • Prevent drops of service (TV & Internet)

We recommend:

• Keeping the modem free and clear of electronics
  • Moving the modem off the floor and placing it on a hard surface
  • Plugging U-verse equipment into a wall outlet
  • Having the modem out in the open for proper air circulation
  • Update your Wi-Fi settings and test different channels
  • Make sure the device that is away from electronics. If you are using a Fire Stick or Apple TV, what affect the modem will affect those devices.

Did you know your internet plan and # of devices can affect your stream? Check out our help article here to learn more. Still having streaming issues? Check out this article for more troubleshooting information.

-ATTCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

2 Attachments

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The only channel in my lineup that is streaming successfully is the FOX News channel. ALL of the rest take you to an image of the show that should be streaming. The only selectable option on that screen is for "extra" content. Why are these shows not streaming? My expectation was that all of these channels would be 100% streaming.

Also, the chat function on the Directv NOW page is not working, it keeps asking me to login when I am already logged in.

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

New customer here, I have 60mbs Internet. While your live TV seems to stream just fine, anything I try to watch "on demand" is way to choppy to watch. It will play for like10-15 seconds, then freeze for 15-45 seconds. This happens on multiple channels and different times of day and night. I have also tried streaming on my laptop, which is a newer HP, and casting from my Galaxy S6 to my chromecast. I think I will like your service if I could actually use it. Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The picture and sound are out of synch and the picture sometimes skips a few frames at a time and then it is ok for a while.  How can I fix this?

gottahavit

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

4 years ago

So, 

I Sign up for for the free trial when it comes out.  Because of that DTVN now has my email address.  Due to too many issues to mention here, I cancel my trial 6 days later.

Two days ago I get an email from DTVN to the email address they wouldn't have if I hadn't signed up.  "By special invitation only: 1-month free trial".  So why not I go log in and try to re-activate my sub with the promo code.  Go Figure it gives me a cryptic "Something went wrong, please try later email".

So I jump on the ever helpful chat and ask for help.  "Sorry sir that's only available to new customers. You can try rgistering with a new e-mail and see if it works."

So they have a mailing list with existing customers that they send invitation only promo codes to, of those people none of them are actually elligible for the promo.  BTW there is nothing in the email saying that it's only valid for new subscribers,  nothing saying you need to register a new email, not even a little disclaimerin fine print saying "we're lying to you again".

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same problem here, Live channels are all pretty seamless with only occasional skips or lag but pre-rec media is horribly unwatchable as they want to buffer about every few minutes for a couple of minutes (3-2 almost), and picture quality is hit or miss.  This is happening on two PCs at the moment, as well as an iPhone 5s, 5.x Android, and two laptops ( 1 is admittedly old).  Both PCs are running Win10, Chrome 55.x and have 0 problems streaming from other services/web.  The phones are both also stellar for other media outlets, as well as the laptops.  Internet speeds are not an issue on our end, nor is comms with the router.  Will we, as customers, get an answer when the problem is at least identified so that a fix can be implemented?

gottahavit

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

4 years ago

So on the off chance they ever turn things around with this service.  I just signed up with the DIRECTVNOWHOLIDAY promo they sent me for a free month.  If you use this promo be careful, they remove it anytime you update or change payment info at checkout.

10 minutes into trying to watch NBA TV video keeps degrading down to sub 480p and has bufferred twice already.  Before DirecTNowCares asks, I just installed the app from scratch and I'm running on 200mb internet that tests out at 150+ immediately after app downgrades quality.  If I restart the stream it starts in ~HD then slowly degrades.  Whenever the game has more static content the quality improves indicating the dynamic bitrate is extremely low.

gottahavit

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

4 years ago

@ATTTVNOWHelp

So now you're blaming your poor service on people's internet.  In case you didn't read(We all know you didn't), I have 150+mb internet over a wired connection.  If your app is written so badly that that's not enough for it to work smoothly, then you should really advertise that it only works on gigabit+ networks where your DTVN device is the only device on the network.  Otherwise stop pretending you don't know your service is BROKEN.  All your doing is angering people more.  Admit you have issue, give some realistic idea of when they will be resolved and people will understand.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Most streaming applications allow you to choose video quality so the user can select a lower resolution video that would be more stable on slower connections/devices.  The Mobile version of the app has an option, but the FIRETV app has no such options.  Why?  Netflix, Sling and PLex do a good job of automatically selecting the best resolution of the available bandwidth.  Other at least give you the option to select a low quality stream.  That would help a lot of people with buffering issues.

LuckyLarry

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

So Last night I see avatar is on fx channel.....cool.    All is well for a half hour is so.....evening is approaching and my luck will likely run out.....prime time is ramping up and we all know what that means.......buffer city. 

Im nearing the last half hour of the movie then like a smack to the face......it freezes.  Then buffers, then freezes, then buffers then freezes then no sound!!!!!    In a desperate attempt to finish the movie, I restart the app, go to guide to reload channel....nothing works.   😞

note to direct to now......please do something to end the suffering or give me my money back.

#rippedoff #screwdirectvnow #krapservice

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @LuckyLarry,

Oh no!  We understand and apologize about your trouble. We are working to resolve issues as they arise. What type of streaming device are you using? You can check out this article for some streaming tips.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Interesting. ... Could you please explain a raining for the following speed issue:

DTV Now cuts in and out at a steady rate while using no other connections. This being done through both the fire sick/smart TV combo and mobile app on both 5 and 2.4 bands. 

YouTube, DisneyNow, Etc all being put through the same test run seamlessly start to finish. I've even added 4k streaming on my laptop to the stack; no interruptions.

So what now? Will you finally admit DTV Now is the issue? Will you clean house and hire a new team 100% from the top-down? Something must be done. 

This feels like DTV Now is intentionally creating connection issues

I wonder what a private investigative company could find. 

LuckyLarry

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

Apple TV 4.  I still have every buffering, but not as severe.  Still a problem.

ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hi,

Here are a few things that worked from others in the past:

1.) change resolution to 720 - you can do this by holding down the menu and the volume down button until resolution screen shows up allowing for resolution to be changed

2.) relaunch app by removing direct tv now app and re-installing

3.) remove cache once you sign back in by holding menu and play/pause button until the light on the apple tv flickers/flashes

-DIRECTVNOWCare

LuckyLarry

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

I appreciate the help, but your recommendation for 720 is unbelievable.  maybe that would be acceptable 10 years ago.  Sorry.  Bad advice.

ps:  6pm Sunday here in socal.  Buffer, buffer buffer 😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

markcling

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

4 years ago

Anyone feel like they're wasting their time here? You would think that after hundreds of the same type of complaints they could at least be honest with us instead of posting the same links to same "solution" that just verifies what we already know!

Get started...

Ask a new question