Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Fri, Nov 4, 2016 5:29 PM

Does Your Wi-Fi, Fly? Improve Your Streaming Experience

Having trouble with your AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW stream? Are you experiencing pixelation and buffering? Has your WI-Fi or internet been going in and out? Are you losing service? We have some helpful tips that should improve your streaming and internet experience. Click here for PC/ Browser Troubleshooting.

Bad Modem Environment Can Cause:

• Streaming pixelation and buffering
  • Slow wired and wireless speeds
  • Loss of service
  • Modem Resets

SlowPic4.png

Electronics, speakers, surge protectors, and location of the modem can impact speeds and in turn affect your streaming experience. Speakers are a major source of interference because of the magnet inside. If your environment resembles the image to the left, there is a good chance your services are being effected. Surge protectors can also cause resets. Plugging the modem into a wall outlet can resolve this.

FastPic4.png

Proper Modem Environment Can:

• Improve your streaming experience
  • Improve Wireless Speeds
  • Improve Wi-Fi signal distance
  • Prevent drops of service (TV & Internet)

We recommend:

• Keeping the modem free and clear of electronics
  • Moving the modem off the floor and placing it on a hard surface
  • Plugging U-verse equipment into a wall outlet
  • Having the modem out in the open for proper air circulation
  • Update your Wi-Fi settings and test different channels
  • Make sure the device that is away from electronics. If you are using a Fire Stick or Apple TV, what affect the modem will affect those devices.

Did you know your internet plan and # of devices can affect your stream? Check out our help article here to learn more. Still having streaming issues? Check out this article for more troubleshooting information.

-ATTCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

2 Attachments

Responses

rckmnr

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

My WiFi works perfectly on PSVue, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, Spotify, Pandora, and a dozen other channels on both my Roku (a superior platform to the Amazon Stick) and the Amazon Stick. The problem is with Directv Now

ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Check out our Supported Devices article and improvements that have been made.  Hope this helps to make your DIRECTV NOW viewing better!

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I think this has something to do with location services in windows.  I had that disabled on all machines (cause I care about my privacy, etc).  After enabling location services I am able to stream live channels.  One of my machines is having trouble still with some channels, but the other two are now working fine.  I also set a "default location" in the location services section.

I assume this might be some sort of fallback based on IP geo-location failing.  I have uverse for internet, and the geo-location of my IP is all over the place depending on which service you use.  

Hope this helps some of you at least.  Please report back if it does fix your problems.  This has been a real pain-point for me since launch, so I'm glad I have it mostly working now.

TurboPGT

Scholar

• 

44 Messages

4 years ago

Look obviously this is a standard internet troubleshooting article for a streaming service, but it is highly inappropriate at this stage, as the service itself is still marred with major streaming issues...you're gonna have the non-tech savvy people going in circles thinking their network/equipment is the problem, when as the present stage, it is not the only problem.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I got DirectTvNow 10 days ago and nothing but trouble. It quits running repeatedly. Sometimes every 5 minutes it quits with Error 40 which means ATT is having speed problems. I called ATT Uverse and they did speed test 12Mbps and said everything is OK. I have no issues with internet connection wifi or plugged in. All my other apps and websites work great. DirectTv fails on Fire TV, Android phone, Fast Windows 10 laptop and desktop, Chromecast, basically every device I own. I haven't tried Apple TV yet because the free one DirectTv was supposed to give me hasnt arrived yet in 2 weeks.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

Don't jump on their service s quick. I could have told you they were going to have problems.  When I went to their website to check it out I could not even get their demo video to play.  After that I said I am not going to sign up at this time.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

we want to know when you guys going to fix it

ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @foxjudy43,

What issues are you having? We would be glad to look into it for you.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

gerrymad

Mentor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

Just a little suggestion here. If you're going to ask somebody to fix something then you need to say what is broken. If you don't then how are the developers supposed to know what is not working for you?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

We hate the notice saying we been watching tv for 4 hours are you still there my eldery mother cant fix that
We hate that it says watching family feod or any other program is not in our plan when it is
We hate it says we are watching more than two streams when we have 0 goinhg
We hate that it when it refuse to load live tv
We hate the answers we get back from att saying it is our fault for not reading the directions
We hate casting
We hate att and directvnow and want our money back so we can go elsewear

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The App has no sound and freezes contantly.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am having condstant problems with freezing, no audio, and also with audio being out of synch. 

I am using an Amazon FireTV box, and have Google Fiber for internet.

I have tried clearing the app cache, rebooting, restarting, and nothing resolves it. 

I am only on my second day of using DirectTVNow, and am already regretting it. All I keep reading are negative reviews, and am now seeing that they are true.

gottahavit

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

4 years ago

SO.. @ATTTVNOWHelp, they answered your question and told you what they were having issues with.  You were quick to point out that they needed to provide more information, but not so quick to reply now that they provided the issues. 

Jake2914

Guru

• 

902 Messages

4 years ago

If you are having streaming issues, please don't think the problem is on your end. There is no need to spend anymore money on equipment or increasing your internet speed ( especially if you use AT&T, that's what they want). All problems are on AT&T 's end.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

OMG AT&T!!!!  STOP BLAMING US!  It's YOU!  Your service doesn't work.  I can't watch more than two minutes before it freezes and stops playing.  But, I don't have any problems at all with Netflix and Sling.  So come on - stop blaming us by suggesting our internet's too slow, or we have too many devices plugged in too close together.  COME ON!  Tell us why your service doesn't work or refund our money and stop charging until you get it working.  

Get started...

Ask a new question