Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

Fri, Nov 4, 2016 5:29 PM

Does Your Wi-Fi, Fly? Improve Your Streaming Experience

Having trouble with your AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW stream? Are you experiencing pixelation and buffering? Has your WI-Fi or internet been going in and out? Are you losing service? We have some helpful tips that should improve your streaming and internet experience. Click here for PC/ Browser Troubleshooting.

Bad Modem Environment Can Cause:

• Streaming pixelation and buffering
  • Slow wired and wireless speeds
  • Loss of service
  • Modem Resets

SlowPic4.png

Electronics, speakers, surge protectors, and location of the modem can impact speeds and in turn affect your streaming experience. Speakers are a major source of interference because of the magnet inside. If your environment resembles the image to the left, there is a good chance your services are being effected. Surge protectors can also cause resets. Plugging the modem into a wall outlet can resolve this.

FastPic4.png

Proper Modem Environment Can:

• Improve your streaming experience
  • Improve Wireless Speeds
  • Improve Wi-Fi signal distance
  • Prevent drops of service (TV & Internet)

We recommend:

• Keeping the modem free and clear of electronics
  • Moving the modem off the floor and placing it on a hard surface
  • Plugging U-verse equipment into a wall outlet
  • Having the modem out in the open for proper air circulation
  • Update your Wi-Fi settings and test different channels
  • Make sure the device that is away from electronics. If you are using a Fire Stick or Apple TV, what affect the modem will affect those devices.

Did you know your internet plan and # of devices can affect your stream? Check out our help article here to learn more. Still having streaming issues? Check out this article for more troubleshooting information.

-ATTCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

2 Attachments

Responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

same issue...  working fine on iphone, ipad, firetv, but NOT CHROME.  I've tried multiple machine, upgraded to 55.x today, tried incognito, uninstalled adblock, etc... what gives?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

If I update my source network address (use a proxy/vpn), I am able to get live streams to work (but not local channels).  So I'm assuming there is some issue with this source IP/network checking. 

I'm a uverse internet subscriber, anyone else having this issue get Internet from uverse?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The Apple TV app for direct tv on my iPhone doesn't work over my internet wifi however it works with data. I am currently able to run apps like HBO now and slingTv with download and upload speeds over 50 Mbps but error 30 shows up or an unavailable message shows up on my iPhone and Apple TV app when on wifi
jeepdude1

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

THIS IS  A JOKE,     Now I can't watch TV with out the "HAD SOME TROUBLE LOADING"  issue.

I guess After 3 months DIRECTVNOW will be history.   I don't think anybody will renew this troublesome Streaming.

Its not your connection, Its not your equipment not in the right position to stream.   ITS DIRECTVNOW issue.  

I think the CEO should step down!    Taking people's hard earn money!   

As Trump would say   WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I paid my money on Nov 30th and have not yet been able to watch a single program on my tv.  I have very poor video quality as everything looks like stop motion film.  The chat button is useless as there are ony people available to respond to you if you have not paid for the service yet and they cant help you if you have paid to join the service.  I have attempted to use the chat system no less that a dozen times since Nov 30 and have searched every trouble shooting article I can find all with no improvement.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Two out of four computers in my house would not live stream directv now, getting the hmm this is taking... message. The only way I found to fix it was doing a fresh install of windows 10 and now they work fine. No amount of updating helped.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

So glad I found I'm not alone.  I've changed routers from Adtran 3448 to Cisco, disabled antivirus, cleared cache, updated Silverlight, changed to IE11 from Chrome.  I have gone through  access lists on my router, drove to the office for a test AP and changed WiFi access point.  I always get "Hmm... this video is taking a bit longer than usual to load.  Thanks for your patience!".  I can watch shows and other movies on Chrome 55, I just can't watch LIVE TV from Chrome.  It works on my Android phone great and I can cast up to the Chromecast and all on the mobile.  It's just Chrome on Windows 10 won't work.  IE11 crashes.  I've disabled the Windows 10 firewall service and rebooted.  Help!

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

It is PR speak for our network cannot handle the night traffic.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

Why torture users by having them jump through all these troubleshooting hoops when the problem is at ATTs end?   This is the same garbage Sling TV has their customers do.   Why is it that when the stream fails and I get Error 40, I can run a speed test that tells me I am getting 50Mbs download and upoad.    This is not my network issue, it's YOURS!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The first day I signed up the quality was beautiful better than sling but now it has been freezing alot the picture looks just like sling or worse and it is unstable Smiley Sad guess I will have to go back to sling or vue 

P.s my internet speed is 175mbps so it is not my internet 

Scholar

• 

71 Messages

4 years ago

I am currently using Amazon Fire TV hooked up via eithernet. My Interent provider service speed is 20 Mps +-50 percent depending on the time of day.  I am having some issues with streaming and buffering. I have also use Playstation Vue and Sling TV  and they both worked without this buffering problem.

ATTTVNOWHelp

Community Support

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @mytinyduckpond,

We apologize about the issues, but we will be glad to help. If you have any background apps running on your FireTV, disable them. We have seen issues where people have Plex running and it causes issues. Also, try changing the video stream settings on your FireTV to a lower resolution to see if that helps just to see if it is a bandwidth issue.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same here, never had an issue with PS VUE,  constant buffering at night (peak hours I guess).  I have no issues with any otehr streaming service like Netflix or PS VUE.  I don't need to watch TV during the day, I need it at night and it does not work.

My internet speed is 75 mbps

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I own a few Roku 4k devices.  When can I expect to get the app for roku?

Is there a Beta app I can get?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Here DirecTV Now on AppleTV works fine with 3Mbps internet from TWC/Charter Cable.  Looks to be 720p or better. 

Is there a troubleshooting screen that shows the screen resolution ?

Get started...

Ask a new question