Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Dec 8, 2018 9:22 PM

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new Directv Now streaming box?  I’ve had Directv for over 20 years and have both Directv and Directv Now, but I never get the opportunity to try out the new products.

Responses

bcbsncjlj

• 

19.7K Messages

a year ago

I agree and that's been the whole purpose of the BETA testing. DTVN will essentially go away or be rebranded.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

I also agree, DTVN might have been better named "DirecTV for Now".

I'd guess DTVN will morph into the "new" DTV, and what's left of DTVN will be Watch TV.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Interested on how service changes will play out for those of us getting discounts by having an AT&T cellular plan.

Oh, and still no beta box so that I am half on topic.

lydian

Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

a year ago

The app (apk) name on the beta box is "AT&T TV".

bcbsncjlj

• 

19.7K Messages

a year ago

No new remote yet either. Others have received it but not here.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I have installed the Box...and so far, it is fantastic.  I wish I could bounce directly to NETFLIX etc., but otherwise it is great.  THERE IS A GRINDING grunting sound that comes from the box for some reason.... is there a hard drive in that thing?  Going well so far.

bcbsncjlj

• 

19.7K Messages

a year ago

Post all your comments and concerns to the BETA forum not here.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

@CompuPreach Did you get it recently?

Couple of us got emails going on four weeks ago saying we were getting devices to test and nothing yet.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

When I got notified I was getting the box I got it like 5 days later
bno25ab

• 

501 Messages

a year ago

I got my hands a one of these boxes through a friend. She didn't want it, so very happy.

Had some problems with the initial setup since it would hang on downloading updates. Seemed I had set a wrong setting in the QoS setting on my router.

Very happy so far. Pretty fast startup, channel changes. Comparable and a tiny bit faster then my Apple TV and Fire Stick.

Love the channel numbers, even though I have to get used to them again. Haven't used them in over 2 years. 

Local channels are coming through nicely. Only ones so far did the streaming restart when I switched to ABC. Haven't noticed any buffering so keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Note: I didn't have any buffering issues on my other devices either, except for the occasional hiccup. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

you will love the box I've had no issues, no buffering and have been streaming for a couple years too. In the beginning I had a lot of buffering but as time went on it got better and then none so I'm happy. you can download Pluto TV its awesome and so many channels and movies you should check it out

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Does your unit make a grinding Lise? Is there a hard drive in the unit? I cannot figure out what it is doing?

John Daniel

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Seems like its a reasonable device, for those who got one. Big question is, how much? Expect a monthly charge, but does it really offer anymore then using a Roku or FTV? The whole immediately playing content thing is a negative for me, though if its actually for the DTV user, then I understand. Probably my biggest complaint with the DTVNow app on my FTVs.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

Mine does not make any noise if you get in touch with them they will send another one
bno25ab

• 

501 Messages

a year ago

Mine also doesn't make a sound. Checked the housing and didn't see any openings that might suggest there's a cooling fan inside that might have a bad bearing.

So there could be a loose internal connection sparking. I'd be careful with that. As suggested, contact DTVN through chat and maybe you can get a new one from them.

As to the box itself, I finally found a very bad bug. Every so often the sound goes off. Both in Stereo and Surround settings. Right now the box is connected to the HDMI input of my Vizio TV and getting sound through my SONY Audio Receiver through ARC. All my other equipment is connected directly to my Audio Receiver without this sound-bug, so I will be testing if connecting the HDMI cable directly to my audio receiver will help. Could be an ARC problem. If not, I guess this is a bug with the box (either hardware and/or software). I did read about this in at least one post with the same bug.

As to the comment about needing the box. I guess it's a matter of preference. I only have DTVN and OTA, so pressing the ON button and kind of immediately having live TV is very nice to me. Others who have a mix of streaming subscriptions on their streaming devices might not like this and rather at start up have a choice which app to start.

Get started...

Ask a new question