Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Dec 8, 2018 9:22 PM

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new Directv Now streaming box?  I’ve had Directv for over 20 years and have both Directv and Directv Now, but I never get the opportunity to try out the new products.

Responses

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

a year ago

Report your results to the BETA forum. They would appreciate your remarks to file with the testing.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Still waiting on my box to come in. Got an email on the 3rd saying one was coming. Waiting, waiting, waiting . . . . . 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

Did you check the tracking?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Wasn't given one, just an email saying a device is coming. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

a year ago

Many have reported receiving the email and nothing more. No confirmation of shipments like in the past.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

Same, got the email stating its on its way and then just a few days later there it was.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

Do you like it ? I love it

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

That stinksT

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

Yes I think it is a major improvement. Controls are lighter and easier to use. Position and style of controls such as the volume switch allow “blind” usage in the dark easier
bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

a year ago

The major issue with the box is its proprietary to AT&T. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

a year ago

so far box has been in and family is using it just fine. apple 4k will come out tomorrow as were not using it anymore...

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

a year ago

How is the new box for speed? That's why I use an ATV4K most of the time, 2 or 3 second channel changes as opposed to 15 seconds or more. How long to first video when you start the app?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

I use an Apple TV as well in my house. I find that both devices respond very similarly to channels changes. Though I haven’t officially timed them, I go by the response of the load/staus bar. Both load to the next channel within one cycle
lydian

Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

a year ago

@beww357  Regarding startup, there is no delay. If the box is powered on, the app is always running, and there is no way to turn it off besides powering off the box. But the stream does stop if you run another app. But when you exit any other app, you’re dumped back into DTVN whether you like it or not. When powered off, the box is just in standby. Power on is instantaneous. I haven’t timed a cold start from a total power loss. 

Realize that channel changes work differently than on ATV and are near instantaneous. On the box, you can go directly to any channel by entering the number or by voice. The Prev channel button on the remote also toggles between the last two channels, just like a traditional tuner. 

bno25ab

Guru

• 

453 Messages

a year ago

I've read some people stating that most likely the streaming box will be only for DirecTV (satellite) which will be switching over to a streaming service.

This box will not be for DirecTVNOW as stated.

I've compared the packages on both the DirecTV (DTV) and DirecTVNOW (DTVN) websites and noticed that the higher priced DTVN packages are named exactly the same as the DTV packages and also priced the same (after a 12 or 24 month agreement on DTV). Only difference is the number of channels which is a bit higher on DTV.

So my conclusion is that DTV and DTVN wil most likely become one service in the future. Hence the BETA testing of this box also for DTVN customers.

Would be a good step, since there's much confusion with the different AT&T services and naming. Hope it won't influence prices greatly.

Get started...

Ask a new question