Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Mar 30, 2017 8:41 PM

DirectV Now App, Use, and Roku

So I cancelled my regular Directv account because it was no longer in my budget.  I have 3 Roku devices with Amazon Prime, and Netflix, as well as an HD antenna, but still could not catch all of the channels that I had with my directv account.  DirectV now Seemed like the way to go.  I signed up and prepaid to get an Amazon fire stick even though I already had 3 Roku devices, (which I read that Directv now would be available on Roku during Q1 2017)  The Amazon stick is horribly slow compared to Roku, and my universal remote will not control the Amazon stick like it does flawlessly with my Roku Devices.  In addition, if I don't watch some of my favorite shows live (The Walking Dead for example) I have to wait a whole week to stream it and streaming is poor at best.    I thought that maybe I could stream it through AMC's site, but nope I cant log in with a DirecTV now account.   In addition to that, another favoite channel (TCM) only has a live stream.  Well I work for a living and most of the movies I used to DVR play during the day while I am at work.  So at this point I spent $50 bucks for a poor replacment  for DirecTV

So tomorrow is the last day for Q1 and I still don't see the App on Roku. Does anyone have an ETA on when this is going to happen?

so far, severely disappointing.

Responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I thought Vue didn't have CBS. I see ABC, FOX, and NBC in their Ultra package at: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

But I don't see CBS. Am I missing something?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Never mind, I see now it is area-specific and our area doesn't have it.  I have tried a large outdoor digital antenna but the signal is just not reliable in our area.  Too many trees, wind, and airplanes.  I like watching CBS live, so VUE is not an option for me. 😞

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

It still is. You can get CBS live with the cbs app for 5 bucks a month as an add on. Then vue plus that and you have all channels in home and also on mobile devices when outside of home.
lonnie698

Scholar

• 

233 Messages

3 years ago

Yes,  vue does have cbs,  but the locals available can depend on what area you live in.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Then why isn't it listed here on the version of ths web page https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/ for my zip code?  It doesn't show up under any of the packages or add-ons.  

Where do I go on their web site to see the CBS add-on?

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.9K Messages

3 years ago

It's not a PS Vue (or Sling or DTVN) add-on, it's a completely separate streaming service. CBS All Access (which is actually $6/month or $10/month mostly commercial free) is straight from CBS and runs on their own apps and web site - not integrated with any of the cable replacement streaming services. It provides much (CBS past and present) on-demand content, a couple of exclusives (including the new Star Trek series, whenever it finally comes out), and a live CBS stream in many but not all locations (I think the current list is about 150 markets out of the 210 or so that exist in the US). 

It it strikes me as too expensive for the rather restricted content that it carries - I wouldn't get it - but YMMV. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

If you only want home use then you can get CBS included with Vue (but you give up many commons channels with Vue, like A&E, Comedy Central, MTV, and many others). If, like me, you watch outside the home and you like CBS shows and sports, then the CBS app is how you solve (I use directtvnow and the CBS app and am all set for a grand total of 41 dollars a month - I have a 35 dollar a month plan with directtvnow for everything because I signed up when it first started); I get all live stations at home and on road.) Btw, both apps work seamlessly. If you don't like CBS shows and sports then don't get that app as an add on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Just use an Antenna, for all local channels including CBS.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Antenna doesn't work if you watch by mobile while moving around outside the home. That's what the CBS app is for.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.9K Messages

3 years ago

PS Vue does have a network-level agreement with CBS - but like the other streaming services, it (mostly?) offers the live stream only in markets where there is an O&O station, which is a limited number of markets. Also, it appears that in markets where they have no local coverage (and possibly markets where they just have no live CBS) they may not even provide CBS on on demand. Unfortunately, availability of the broadcast networks (even just on demand) is limited and not straightforward on any of the cable replacement streaming services (it's simplest on YouTube TV - they don't bother to offer any service except in the 5 markets where all 4 major broadcast nets are represented by O&O stations...)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

(1) As far as I can tell Vue does not have a CBS live feed in our area.  If anyone out there doesn't believe that is true, then go the web site https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/ and change the location setting to Raleigh NC, then tell me where you see CBS anywhere, either as an add-on or whatever.

(2) I tried the CBS All Access app but was disappointed with the paltry offerings.  Only around seven episodes of The Big Bang Theory.  Some classic TV shows I was interested in had only one paltry season.  No thanks!

(3) As I said in an earlier post, I purchased a large outdoor digital antenna.  Because of the large number of trees and hills in our area, and the fact that we are in an airport flight path, the signal cuts out a lot.  I like an uninterrupted signal.  I don't like missing words at critical points of dialogue, which often seems to happen with the local antenna.  Other people in the neighborhood have had similar problems with local antennas--even the large ones.  

PS Vue is not for me.  I'll stay with traditional DirecTV (satellite), which provides reliable signal here even with trees and planes, while the large digital local antenna does not.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same problem. I bought it thinking it would be good. It can't run through 20 minutes without failing to load. I have tried 3 browsers on 2 laptops, plus my NEW apple tv the gave me. I want it to be on my Samsung tv or Roku. This is a joke. I don't have this problem with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. I may have to cancel soon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Steaming services like Netflix and HULU are certainly not a new thing to the market but live TV streaming is. I cancelled my DirecTv service about a year ago and started with SlingTV. Coupled with a small local antenna I was very happy with the service and the money I was saving. Not long after signing up with Sling PlayStation Vue came out and I signed up. Not much more money but a huge increase in channels and some limited DVR functions . Again, I was very happy but it didn't take long before they removed some channels that I really liked. Turned off by the changing channel lineup I read about the upcoming DirecTv service. I was intrigued. When it came out I jumped on it. In my case my monthly bill dropped as I signed up early and got the 100 channels for $35 a month. I'll admit the service has had its issues but overall I prefer DirecTv Now over the others. They are improving the service and I am now seeing some limited DVR functions. Though Limited I am hopeful that they will continue to grow. I think we have cut the cable to save money, stop paying for channels we don't watch and perhaps start enjoying TV again. All of the services have something to offer and with a little research you may find that one of them is right for you. I'm not an expert in any of this and I only took the time to write this in hopes that it might help others make an informed decision.     

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Sounds like you took the same route we did except that we cut the cord in
2008 and have been using Netflix, Amazon Prime and an outside antenna. We
also tried Sling, Vue and then Directtv Now and got the deal for $35/mth
plus an apple tv. I still prefer streaming Netflix with my Roku for the
fast forward and rewind .Can't do that with Apple Tv. We are keeping
Directtv Now, at least for now because they have live channels we like and
used to watch.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Actually, the 1Q ended 30 days ago. 4 x 3 = 12, right?