Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Mentor

• 

10 Messages

Thu, Nov 7, 2019 9:50 PM

Choppy video since last night on Apple TV 4k... what to do?

Since last night, I'm having horrendous quality from ATTNow (directvnow) on my apple tv.  The video is horrible!! choppy, and laggy!

I've tried rebooting the apple TV, rebooted the router (att), and nothing works.  Other apps on apple tv work perfectly fine (netflix, prime, hulu etc).

here are the symptoms:

• When i change channels, the feed is fine for 10-15 secs and then starts to chop.   When I pause it for 2 secs, and play, it repeats.... fine for 10-15sec, then it goes choppy and laggy.
  • This behavior is the same on live or recorded content.
  • Watching the feed on my laptop, works fine.

I've had this service, with same router and same apple tv, for almost 18 months without issues, and since last night I cannot get anything to work to fix it.  I called ATT service and they couldn't help.

anyone has any ideas? if this keeps up, I will be forced to cancel service and go with youtubeTV or an alternative.

Responses

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Change your Apple TV video settings to 1080p HDR.  See if that helps.  ATT says they're working on a fix. Hope that helps.

Mentor

• 

10 Messages

4 months ago

thank you... you said "ATT is working on a fix".... so does that mean this is a known issue recently with ATT?  i sure hope I'm not the only one.  Frustrated that I have to switch from 1080p to 4k, and viceversa, whenever I want to watch netflix or youtube or something else, vs watching ATTnow.  

I'm really getting frustrated with increasing costs, and continuous deterioration of quality and features!  

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 months ago

Mine is doing the same thing!!! 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 months ago

I’m hoping this gets fixed soon, this is incredibly annoying. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 months ago

Mine has been doing this for 2 weeks now.  I've seen multiple people on here and Twitter with the same issue. I keep reading the issue is with the most recent update.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Same problem! Just started two days ago! I have the Apple TV 4K as well and I do not have any issues with any other streaming services. I don’t know why all the sudden my channels are unwatchable. I’m in NJ so not sure it this is a local issue with signal. Any info would be great!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 months ago

It's their app from what I've read. Got to wait and see if an updates fixes it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

I am having the SAME issues. Super choppy, completely out of sync after about 15-30 seconds. Only AT&T TV Now, all other apps are fine. Beyond annoyed. Spent over an hour in a chat with an AT&T rep the other night who did nothing for me except say she was opening a case. I’ve heard nothing since. All my other devices are fine. It’s just the Apple TV 4K (even my previous model Apple TV seems to be fine with it). 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 months ago

I’m having the same exact issue with my Apple TV 4K.  It’s been going on for the past week. If I use Netflix or Hulu I have no issues. Same symptoms though. 1st 10-15 seconds it works fine then the video starts to lag like it’s half the frames per second and then the audio and video are totally out of sync. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

We're experiencing the same issue with choppy video, and recently received an email from AT&T that our monthly fee is going up yet again. Why would I pay more for worse service? Highly frustrating.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

4 months ago

Same issue here with my Apple TV 4K and AT&T TV App. I chatted with support last week who said he “was making adjustments to the video quality” on his end. After uninstalling and logging in several times, but to no avail, he then had a supervisor call me. The supervisor gave me a $5 discount (didn’t ask for it) and got me off the phone as soon as he could. The app is still broken. Streaming quality is still choppy after a few seconds. The app is unusable unless I change my settings to 1080p. So I started a 2 week trial of YouTube TV. AT&T has until my trial ends (11/20) to fix it or I’m out. 

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

4 months ago

$5.00 ???  They gave me $10.00 off of my next bill. It was too late. Between this issue and the price going up to $65 a month starting In November, I jumped ship to Youtube TV. You will find much better service, cost and channel lineup.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

AT&T, Same issues with me on three Apple TV 4K devices. Can you please respond in this forum and indicate you are working on this issue? This app of yours has not properly worked since day one. Everyday there is an issue of some kind. Audio sync issues, choppy video, channels going out for hours at a time, just to name a few. 

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

4 months ago

This is only a community forum on subscribers. They do not respond to these forums. That is why they have the chat for support. Use it and voice your issues to a support rep.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

4 months ago

This has been going on for more than two weeks for me. I live in Northern CA and it started during all the wildfires and power shutoffs so of course I thought that they were having power issues related to that. But this past week, there have been no power shutoffs and the fires are all contained, so it had nothing to do with all of that and I'm really mad because my monthly cost just went UP and I'm getting almost NO TV at ALL!

This is not what it used to be.  "Working on the issue" means they know about it but don't really care. They can't raise our subscription prices and then let something like this go on indefinitely. I'm going to call AT&T to demand a refund for the last two weeks, and I'm also looking into other options for TV. I encourage everyone here to do the same.