Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Oct 22, 2017 6:22 PM

Can AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW be used at different locations by signing in?

I own two homes. They are an hour and a half from each other. Do I need two separate accounts to have coverage in both homes. Obviously I can’t watch both at the same time. Can multiple TVs be watched at the same time in one or both locations? I have children that use my second home some. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.1K Messages

3 years ago

That is a max of 2 at the same time - you can have an unlimited number of different TVs at different locations that (at some point) make use of the service, as long as at most 2 are logged onto the service at once.  (The limit of 2 applies to any devices - mobile devices and computers also, in addition to TV devices.)  Note however that local broadcast channels are locked to your billing location, so at the other location, you will get no locals (neither the ones from your billing address nor the ones that would be local to the second location).  This may also impact the ability to get RSNs.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lydian

Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

3 years ago

Max of 2. Each can be in any location in the US. 

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

2 years ago

If you have a summer home on a mosquito-infested lake in Minnesota, and a winter place in beautiful, sunny San Diego, and you want to have access to the particular local channels in each place for 6-months each year, can you deny the DTVN app on your SmartTV  location information (or change location information) and will the app still work?  Or is giving location permissions required?  When I'm in the frozen north, I may want to check out local San Diego sports news or regular news, and vice versa.

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.1K Messages

2 years ago

Several factors there:

Most smart TVs cannot run a native DTVN app - the only ones that currently can are TVs with Roku or Fire TV built in.  All others (for example, Sony and others using Android TV, Samsung using Tizen, LG using WebOS, etc.) cannot currently run a native app and have to use an outboard device (like a Roku or Fire TV).

You must turn on Location Services on devices that actually provide such (like Apple TV, mobile devices, some computers).  Most other devices (Roku, Fire, most computers) do not provide "native" location services - for those devices, external geolocation services are used by DTVN to attempt to determine your device's location from its IP address.  There is no reliable way to defeat the built in location services or the geolocation (the latter is often wrong, but not in a way that the user can control - rather, this is because the geolocation process is pretty unreliable and it being wrong usually means that locals won't be available even when they should be).

Locals are (by intent) limited to the intersection of the account's billing address and the device's reported (by whatever mechanism that device uses) location.  That is, you can only get the locals at your billing address and if they believe your device is at that location.  The latter part of the restriction (actual device location) is due to both content license rules and FCC regulations.  The former part (billing address) is not required by the FCC - it isn't clear (meaning they haven't told us) if it is due to the particular content licenses that DTVN has with the content providers or is just something that DTVN imposes for their own reasons.

So - using DTVN, you can't get local channels at both locations, no matter where you are (and can't get them at whichever location isn't your billing location).  However, if you really split the year like that, when you move you can cancel your subscription at the current location and start one at the new location, to allow you to get the locals at the new location.  (This would probably be done most cleanly by having the different locations use different accounts - meaning attached to different email addresses.)  Since they use the billing address attached to whatever payment method you use (credit card or PayPal) to determine the account location, this would require that you have a payment method whose billing address matches the new location.  Also, since subscriptions are monthly (with no refunds) there might be some "lossage" at the end of each location's term unless those terms matched the subscription terms exactly.  This also assumes that you don't have a subscription promotion that might be lost when you cancel the subscription - aside from the "early adopter" promo (for subscribers from when they first offered the service a year and a half ago) I believe the only non-term limited promos they have are for ATT Unlimited wireless customers, and I have no idea what happens to those if you play this cancel and resubscribe game.

Unrelated to DTVN, to get local news (at least) from the other location, it is possible that you can use websites (and maybe apps) offered by the local stations in the other location.  Because of content restrictions, this (probably?) wouldn't help with actual (live) game coverage, however.

And from my experiences in the (mostly year-round) mosquito haven of South Florida, the mosquitoes that are still in the lake aren't the problematic ones...

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
gooddealz

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Simply go online to your bank change billing info use a vpn or go to new location.u may have to delete and reinstall app.once it checks again u can switch your bank info back.there's always a way.heck i can change my info for 5 mins if I want so I could use a fake addy if wanted other locals bad enough.run vpn through proxy from computer. But it might not change in till they charge card so do it on that day. Hope it makes sence.

beww357

ACE - Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

"so at the other location, you will get no locals"

You might get some locals, under the new "traveling" feature. This would require that you receive a given network's affiliate at your home location and there is also an affiliate of that network in the market you have "traveled" to that is carried by DTVN.

A lot to count on, I know, but it might work. Worst case you would have no locals at the "distant" location, as you said.

HandyBob

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

10 months ago

AT&T TV locals are locked to the BILLING address? You've got to be kidding. The billing address can be a post office box. It should be locked to the service address of the account. If they're going by the billing address, anything goes. Rent a PO box anywhere and get the locals from where the PO box is.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

10 months ago

Local channels are derived from a combination of a customer billing zip code and ip address. Essentially the ip address a customer is assigned must match their billing zip code to receive the local channels available in that area. Your ISP determines the ip address that is assigned to your location. It use to be if you receive them at home (ABC, NBC. CBS. or FOX) and traveling to a location that DTVN offer the networks that you do at home then you should be able to receive them. If not then they will not be available. But recently this seems to have changed so that you only receive your home based locals. It has been reported that a change was made because subscribers were having issues even receiving locals at all. Best just to contact support via the chat for clarity.

HandyBob

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

10 months ago

My locals have never been based on a billing address zip code. Never. It's always based on the zip code of the service address. The billing address has a totally different zip code and would be ridiculous to send locals based on the billing zip code. And they've have never been sent to the billing address zip code. Still not.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

10 months ago

Last several months it has been billing locals. I travel extensively as a retiree. I receive my billing locals everywhere I go now. East coast, west coast,  even in Hawaii 3 weeks ago. I use to get the travelling locals but no more. Currently located at the beach on east coast and receiving my billing locals on both Roku and Fire Stick. 

Get started...

Ask a new question