Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, May 1, 2019 9:05 PM

Beta testing new streaming box, can't get it to work

Hi, 

Received my new streaming box today, hooked it up, and it won't update. I can't seem to get any help with it. I get an error message saying "there's a problem with checking for updates, please try again later. for more info please visit att.com/atttvsetup). Visiting the website it sends you to gets you nothing. I went to the forum the email invite sent me to, but got nothing there either. There's no faq, troubleshooting guide, nothing I can find to help. I've tried both wifi and hardwiring it to the router. There seems to be no way to factory reset it to start over. I've tried unplugging it and the reset button on the side. What I'm guessing is an error code is in the bottom right hand corner, 80003-001. 

I realize the purpose of beta testing is to work the kinks out, but I can't even get out of the starting gate here to try it out. When you unplug or reset it, it says welcome back, and immediately tries to update for about 3 minutes, then goes goes to the screen with the error message saying it can't update. The only clickable link on this screen is Try Again, which starts the checking for updates screen, which goes back to the There's a problem screen. 

Very infuriating. 

Can anyone help with this?

Responses

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.1K Messages

a year ago

The hard reset button on the side doesn’t help?  That should be a factory reset (hold it for a few seconds).  Are you sure you have a good net connection?  If you can, try plugging it in via Ethernet. 

There is setup info and FAQs links at the top of the beta forum front page after you log in. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I have tried all of that. I guess I can try holding the reset button in for a longer amount of time and see if I can get it to factory reset instead of just turning off and back on. I have tried both wireless and hard line connection. My router works perfectly. Nothing else is having trouble connecting. In fact, when I first connected it to my wifi, it connected just fine and let me log in to my account. After that is when it tried to update, and then nothing.

When I click on the link to go to the beta forum, there are no links at the top of the page. Just a big blue bar with the ATT sphere on the left hand side. Below that on bar on the right hand side is an avatar with my username, account settings (nothing there for faqs or troubleshooting) and a login/out button. That's it. 

lydian

Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

a year ago

You need to login to the forum with your beta account which is different from your DTVN account. Create one if you haven't already.

It takes FOREVER to update, so if you ever get it to start, just be patient. Mine hung several times, requiring an off/on cycle, but eventually finished.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I understand all that. I created an account with the forum as soon as I got the email with the instructions in it, and have posted there too, several people are posting there experiencing the same thing I am, so far, no one has offered a solution. 

I understand that updates take time, however, I can't get to the part to start the updates. It never completes the checking for updates part. It starts checking for them, times out, and says there is a problem with checking for updates. There is no problem with my internet, I was able to log into my account after I entered my router info, before it started checking for updates.  I can't get it to factory reset so I can go back and start it from the beginning,or go to settings or really do anything with it at all, because it just keeps going back to the "there is a problem with the update" screen. 

lydian

Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

a year ago

Still sounds like network issue to me. Bad Ethernet cable?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I had to hold the reset button for like 30 seconds or better, you need to hold it down until if shuts off and keep holding it down until it turns back on and says it is resetting your device then let off the reset button. At least that work to get mine reset, I then re-entered my info and it all worked out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Just setting mine up today and having the same "Checking for updates" issue.  I've tried everything everyone has suggested, went through the whole set up process twice; pairing, WiFi,entering ID/password, still having the same "There's a Problem" /80003-001 error message/code.

Looks like I'll be hooking my Roku back up, at least for now!

Thanks to everyone is using the forum and offering help!

Happy Sunday to all,

Sue

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

My problem with the Beta Box is when you go to the channel it will not come on says it's taking to load to download tried it 23 days straight still wont-work wished I could help you could you help me is that what yours is doing

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

a year ago

Having no issues with the BETA box here. Performing as expected. You should be reporting your issues to the BETA forum instead of here. No follow-up from here.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
VIPER31415

Professor

• 

971 Messages

a year ago

I have no issues with mine since day one and i got it a week after i installed 1gb internet (06/07/2019). Have you tried taking it to a friends house to at least see if you can set it up there and if successful then take it home and see if you’re able to watch directv now via the beta box. 

Employee

• 

289 Messages

a year ago

I've got four of these in the office I work in and have had some trouble with two of them. Until today, one of the devices would not stream with a couple different error messages. I found that after clearing cache and data for AT&T TV in System Services I can now stream. Apps>System Services>AT&T TV

Another device will not update. The initial check after factory reset will state the device is up to date but it clearly is not. When going into settings and checking for updates it will try to download but the line never finishes. One time I was able to watch it get all the way to the end and it did finally give an error. Still have not figured out how to get passed this issue..

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Employee

• 

289 Messages

a year ago

OK. I was able to get the device to update using recovery mode. The device must be plugged into a working Ethernet port, then press the red reset button. As soon as you see the AT&T logo appear with message "Powered by androidtv", reboot the box again. Repeat the red button reboot on the AT&T logo 5 times. After 5 reboots, you will see AT&T logo appears without any message. Then a message "System Updating. This could take a few minutes" is displayed. The box should then Download and install updates. There is NO TURNING back at this point until the update has completed. Mine did successfully and the box is up and running no with no other issues.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

1 Message

Your tip actually worked. I did as you said then it started installing updates with the AT&T logo and the bar updating. Today is April 7, 2020.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Do you think that I too am stuck on an update?

The box powers up and gets past the "Powered by Android" logo on the boot-up screen. Most of the time it gets stuck at the screen with the spinning white AT&T logo with a blue background. Once in a while it will display a white partial circle on a blue background and one time it had a grey display saying something about no internet.

I've tried the reset button and unplugging the device but can never get past the issue above. Thinking about trying the reset 5 times like you did but wanted some feedback first.

Also, posted this at attfeedback.uservoice.com

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

9 months ago

Did you do a factory reset or just hit the red button? Hold the red reset button down for about 10-15 sec to get  true factory reset.

lydian

Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

9 months ago

I had to red button reset mine several times before it finally worked. It also took forever. Also use hardwired enet at least until you get it set up. Takes network issues out of the equation at least. 

Get started...

Ask a new question