Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
R

• 

1 Message

Wed, Aug 5, 2020 1:39 AM

ATT TV Now on Roku and Apple TV won't rewind

So thought I had an issue with a Roku, but the other I have won't allow nor will my Apple TV. I receive channels fine but no rewind. Is this my issue or as I have seen an unsupported function? If it is unsupported, that's a deal breaker!

Responses

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

This is a design flaw in the AT&T TV app (as I understand it, the app for AT&T TV Now and for AT&T TV are the same).  

I have figured out a way around it, however.

If you're watching a program which you want to be able to rewind, then start recording the program, and stop watching the (Edited per community guidelines).  Instead, switch over to the DVR recording, which is available immediately for playback, meaning you don't have to wait until the program is over to load it up and play it.  If you want to start watching from the beginning and skip all the commercials up until the "live" point, you're all set.  Or, if you want to start watching at the "live" point of the recording being made, you can do that too.

Those of you of a certain age may remember three-head reel-to-reel audio recorders.  They had three heads so one might listen to a recording while recording it (the second head would do the recording while the third head would do the playback).  Well, in a way, this brings back that same capability!

(edited)

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.6K Messages

2 months ago

Most DVRs will allow you to "watch while recording".  The basic problem with this approach is that it requires you be there for the start of the program and remember to start the recording, or to schedule the program to be recorded in advance - either way, not too convenient.  

Many on-premise DVRs automatically record in a pass-through way the current stream for some period (U-Verse, for example, will record up to an hour of the currently playing stream, dumping that and starting anew if you change channels).  Unfortunately, that is harder to do efficiently in a cloud DVR.   Some of the streaming providers (who all use cloud DVRs) provide some level of in-stream controls (usually starting recording if/when the user hits "pause", so you can't rewind to earlier than that) - I'm not aware of any that provide the level of support the on-premise DVRs offer.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

And, of course, some streaming providers, like YouTube TV, automatically record the (Edited per community guidelines) a person is watching until one switches off that channel.  That way, if you were watching a program from the beginning but didn't bother to officially "record" it, you're still protected as long as you don't switch to a different channel (e.g. you get a phone call and forget to put the stream into pause; after the phone call you can rewind back to whatever point you want).  Unfortunately AT&T doesn't offer this capability.

(edited)

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

Why are the words 

l i v e 

s t r e a m 

considered a violation of community guidelines and are always censored?  I don't see anything offensive in them.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

2 months ago

I see both "live" (l i v e) and "stream" (s t r e a m) in this thread, i.e. uncensored.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.6K Messages

2 months ago

The automated word filter is idiosyncratic - and has been a topic of discussion in the ACE forum (with feedback from the admins).  It is part of the base forum software system they got, and they seemingly don't completely understand its rules.  They've apparently been tweaking it to try to make it less overzealous, but odd cases still occur.  Did you have this as 2 words ((Edited per community guidelines)) or run together (livestream)?

(edited)

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.6K Messages

2 months ago

Apparently as 2 words😃

chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

EXACTLY!  Really weird.  It's probably got something to do with the word stream being associated with bodily functions.

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.5K Messages

2 months ago

Hi everyone,

Looks like it was added to the manual keyword scrub list by mistake. It should be fixed now.

Sorry for the confusion,

Dmitriy

(edited)

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
chriggsiii

• 

143 Messages

2 months ago

Great!  Thanks, Dmitriy.

Get started...

Ask a new question