Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
S

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jul 6, 2020 4:41 PM

AT&T Now in two locations

Interested in this service but I want it to work at home and at my vacation home. The details say you can only access this service from your “home wifi network” unless on a mobile device and that you are only allowed to change that 4 times a year. So it sounds like if I go back and forth multiple times a year between the two houses I would not be able to use this service on TVs in both homes? It would lock me out or something after connecting via a different wifi network after 4 changes?

Responses

lydian

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

a month ago

I've never heard of that. I used it simultaneously in two locations for 3 years solid.

Can you post a link to these "details"?

• 

2 Messages

"When you set up your AT&T TV device at home, that location becomes the residential, non-mobile internet network associated with your device. This is called your home Wi-Fi network. Accessing the AT&T TV app on this smart TV will also be limited to your home Wi-Fi network. You can change your home Wi-Fi network up to 4 times within a 12-month period by relocating your AT&T TV device." link

So it's not for the AT&T Now account, its for the device itself. Like if I move the TV and hook it to a different WiFi it would count as one of the 4 changes for that device. I read that darn paragraph multiple times before posting and didn't understand that very important detail *facepalm*

Thanks!

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.3K Messages

Yeah - I'm not sure.  There is similar phrasing for the other device types also, though I'm not sure of its enforceability.   There's this phrasing:

Good to know: Watch at home, or stream anywhere in the U.S. on a smartphone, tablet, or computer (excludes Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Keep in mind, streaming on certain third-party devices may be limited to your home Wi-Fi network. You can change your home Wi-Fi network 4 times within a 12-month period.

which doesn't really make sense to me if it applies on a device by device basis rather than to the account (but uses the weasel word may).

Also, the AT&T TV Terms and Conditions and the AT&T TV Now Terms and Conditions don't contain any such constraints on movement.  The AT&T streaming device Terms and Conditions (which - aside from the beta devices and devices bought from third parties - wouldn't apply to AT&T TV Now subscribers, since they can't get that device anyway) do, sort of - they say (Your Device meaning your AT&T streamer):

When You set Your Device as part of registration for and access to AT&T TV, the location at which You do so will be designated as the residential, non-mobile internet network with which Your Device is associated (“Home Network”). We may implement measures that restrict Your ability to access the AT&T TV app through certain devices other than those devices that are associated with Your Home Network.

It seems that can't apply if you don't have an AT&T streamer, and again is rather vague about other devices and uses the may.  And in any case, this would all depend on their ability to locate where your devices are, which they have traditionally had significant problems with.   So in practice, I have doubts it would matter.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.3K Messages

@lydian  - (since they still haven't gotten DMs working again, using this as a method to communicate)   Unrelated to this topic, but something I saw looking at the device Terms of Use (here) - it says in §3:

Use of Device. Your access to and use of the Device requires You maintaining an active AT&T TV (AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW experience) account. You may access the Device by entering the user ID and password associated with your AT&T TV Service. If you cancel your subscription to the AT&T TV Service, you may continue accessing the Device without an active AT&T TV account using the same or other valid AT&T TV user ID and password.

The last sentence implies that rather than becoming a brick if you stop your subscription, you'd continue to be able to use it (I guess for other Android TV apps?) by continuing to use your old credentials.  I have doubts, but I have no way to test.  Do you still have any Ospreys?  If so, can you try this with your (dead) AT&T TV credentials?  I can't because I don't have any inactive credentials.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lydian

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

@Jrandomuser, Interesting find. I don't have any more Ospreys to test. I had always assumed an inactive account login would fail. But what you found says it won't. I can tell you that if I log in to the NOW site in a browser, I get stuck in a loop to pick a package. If I open the iPhone app, I can't get past the login screen when I use my old credentials. I just get prompted to re-activate my service.

I think user bcb... could test it out since he cancelled his own service but continues to use another family member's login.

Get started...

Ask a new question