Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Sun, Dec 18, 2016 3:41 PM

Apple TV

I subscribed to DTVNow and received the Apple TV. My plan was to mirror my IPhone and play DTVNow on my TV. I was told by the ATT rep that this was possible. Otherwise why was the Apple TV offered? I would not have subscribed otherwise.

If I turn off WiFi on my phone DTVNow plays fairly  normally.

It also plays if WIFI is on and logged onto the NET. In this case how do I know if I am using ATT data or my internet service?

I can mirror my iPhone and see DTVNow on my TV. Although with problems such as commercials repeating continuously.

If I unplug the Internet and log onto my WiFi with Apple TV DTVNow will not play. 

So DTVNow seems to work with WiFi switched off.

it also works with WiFi on and logged onto Internet. I can mirror the phone and see DTVNow on my TV.

If the WiFi is turned on ,on the phone and logged into my intranet (no internet service) I can mirror the phone on Apple TV but DTVNow will not play.

Responses

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@RightNow wrote:

You can use your phone AND stream it to the Apple TV using airplay, making use of ONLY your AT&T data over cell. But that's just using the Apple TV as a "mirror" of sorts. You wouldn't be using the ATV's remote or anythign like that, you'd just be using it as a display for the phone via airplay.  The guide, and everything else would be handled via the phone.

This is exactly what we're trying to do in this thread. Have you actually done it? @Ddubya can't do it and I did some prelimiary tests that didn't work. 

When we connect to the WiFi of the TV via Airplay it seems to want to stop using the cellular network for data.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

What you just said is all I want to do.

You said: You can use your phone and stream it to the AppleTV using AirPlay, making use of ONLYAT&T data over cell.

If this is true then explain how this can be done using only AT&T data.

RightNow

Scholar

• 

74 Messages

4 years ago

My apologies, I overread and missed. You can do this with static setups. Try this, it's abit outdated but hopefully will get you started.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5770041?tstart=0

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@RightNow wrote:

My apologies, I overread and missed. You can do this with static setups. Try this, it's abit outdated but hopefully will get you started.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5770041?tstart=0

That's WAY okay, it looks like you might have found the solution! (as you said it's a little dated)

What do you think @Ddubya??

I thought it might work some other way since I thought it did a more peer-to-peer solution these days (so if you wanted to use one for a presentation but didn't have access to the network it was on), but I've found these things easier to test when you aren't in a building with internet connected networks that your device wants to keeps jumping back onto.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I tried this fix and it does force the phone to use cellular data. However when I try to play something and mirror it on the ATV I get the message 

trouble loading. Please try again later(QP1502)

i can turn mirroring off and DTVDirect plays on the phone without changing IP settings

Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

It appears as though DTVNow wants to log onto an Internet connection as long as the phone has WiFi turned on. Turn off WiFi and DTVNow will revert to cellular and play OK.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

garylapointe wrote: 

I thought it might work some other way since I thought it did a more peer-to-peer solution these days (so if you wanted to use one for a presentation but didn't have access to the network it was on), but I've found these things easier to test when you aren't in a building with internet connected networks that your device wants to keeps jumping back onto.

@Ddubya This kind of describes what I was thinking about, seems like the phone needs to be really close to the AppleTV http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/apple-tv-4-peer-peer-airplay-without-wifi/

Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I have looked into a Bluetooth solution but it is not workable and from what I have read the Apple lighting get to HDMI is not that good as well.

Hopefully there will be a firmware solution to allow mirroring while using cellular data. Otherwise the AppleTV / DirectTVNow is useless to someone like me that does not have high speed internet and would like to see the video on a larger display.

kevkrom

Guru

• 

348 Messages

4 years ago

If you *really* want to do this, you would use your phone to make a hotspot for the Apple TV to connect to. This would put the Apple TV on the same wireless network as your phone, which would then use the phone's cellular connection for access to the outside internet.

Problem is, this would mean that *all* Apple TV internet traffic would be routed through your phone, which is probably not what you want.

Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I will try that but would  I not be charged more by AT&T for data used on the hot spot?

Ddubya

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

OK folks here is how to watch directTV Now on your television using Apple Airport and mirroring your IPhone 

you must have a network for the Airport to link up to.

This network can hooked up to the Internet 

look up this network on your iPhone and "forget it"

turn on "WiFi assist" on iPhone

launch the DirectTv Now app and play a video or program

swipe up and log onto AirPlay Mirroring and your AppleTV 

Enjoy

thanks to garylapointe and RightNow for your efforts in trying to solve this issue

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@Ddubya wrote:

thanks to garylapointe and RightNow for your efforts in trying to solve this issue

Awesome! I knew there was something out there that they added in the last few years.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

4) If you have established a Wi-Fi network on your mobile device go to your settings and forget the Wi-Fi network.
5) Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on both your mobile device and your Apple TV.
6) Go to the Control Center Menu to access AirPlay by swiping up on the bottom of your device.
7) Push the AirPlay button. AppleTV should show up. If it does not, restart your mobile device and Apple TV and try again.
😎 Turn “Mirror” on.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

4) If you have established a Wi-Fi network on your mobile device go to your settings and forget the Wi-Fi network.
5) Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on both your mobile device and your Apple TV.
6) Go to the Control Center Menu to access AirPlay by swiping up on the bottom of your device.
7) Push the AirPlay button. AppleTV should show up. If it does not, restart your mobile device and Apple TV and try again.
😎 Turn “Mirror” on.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@Ddubya wrote:

I subscribed to DTVNow and received the Apple TV. My plan was to mirror my IPhone and play DTVNow on my TV. I was told by the ATT rep that this was possible.

I did get this working. I had never connected to the WiFi network at a friend's house and was able to get it to work see https://forums.att.com/t5/Streaming-Troubleshooting/Att-celluar-data-usage/m-p/5029648#M4293

Get started...

Ask a new question