Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

Sun, Dec 18, 2016 3:41 PM

Apple TV

I subscribed to DTVNow and received the Apple TV. My plan was to mirror my IPhone and play DTVNow on my TV. I was told by the ATT rep that this was possible. Otherwise why was the Apple TV offered? I would not have subscribed otherwise.

If I turn off WiFi on my phone DTVNow plays fairly  normally.

It also plays if WIFI is on and logged onto the NET. In this case how do I know if I am using ATT data or my internet service?

I can mirror my iPhone and see DTVNow on my TV. Although with problems such as commercials repeating continuously.

If I unplug the Internet and log onto my WiFi with Apple TV DTVNow will not play. 

 

So DTVNow seems to work with WiFi switched off.

it also works with WiFi on and logged onto Internet. I can mirror the phone and see DTVNow on my TV.

If the WiFi is turned on ,on the phone and logged into my intranet (no internet service) I can mirror the phone on Apple TV but DTVNow will not play.

 

 

Responses

Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

I subscribed to DTVNow and received the Apple TV. My plan was to mirror my IPhone and play DTVNow on my TV. I was told by the ATT rep that this was possible. Otherwise why was the Apple TV offered? I would not have subscribed otherwise.

The AppleTV has a DTVNow app. That would be why.

 

I'm not sure why you would mirror to the AppleTV if you can have the ATV do it on it's own. I'm not why you wouldn't subscribe because you can't do it the hard way.

 

If I turn off WiFi on my phone DTVNow plays fairly  normally.

It also plays if WIFI is on and logged onto the NET. In this case how do I know if I am using ATT data or my internet service?

When you say "onto the NET" do you mean your internet service?

 

On your phone, if you see the WiFi symbol it should be using WiFi through your home internet (if you see a LTE/3g symbol it would be using cellular data).

 

If I unplug the Internet and log onto my WiFi with Apple TV DTVNow will not play. 

You turned the internet off, iisn't that why?

 

So DTVNow seems to work with WiFi switched off.

it also works with WiFi on and logged onto Internet. I can mirror the phone and see DTVNow on my TV.

If the WiFi is turned on ,on the phone and logged into my intranet (no internet service) I can mirror the phone on Apple TV but DTVNow will not play.

Wait! Maybe now I get it, are you trying to connect the AppleTV to the iPhone and use the iPhone's cellular data to watch the DirectTV Now? You don't actually say that, but maybe that's what you are trying.  If that's not what you are doing then ignore the indented part:

 

To use the cellular, I think you'd need to...  Hmm... I'm not sure that would work.  Hang on a minute...

 

I'm back.

 

Okay, I can't make that work. I unplug my internet and via WiFi mirror the iPhone to the my AppleTV but once my phone connects to the WiFi it doesn't want to use the cellular to get the DTVNow shows, it wants to use the wifi. I thought that maybe it would use WiFi Assist to get the data (since the WiFi isn't working for internet) but I couldn't get it do that either (I let it sit for   a few minutes).

 

I literally just pulled the Ethernet cord out of the cable modem (so everything was talking via my WiFi router), perhaps rebooting the router and everything would have flushed the DNS/gateway/otherstuff and it might have helped. 

 

I'm trying to remember out how it works when I connect my iPhone to my action cam (GoPro generic) when I'm outside (no other WiFi networks) I choose the action camera's WiFi network and when I run the app I can see the camera and control it, but I don't know if my phone still accesses the internet, I can't recall if I still get iMessages etc, I don't leave the app since that would mess up the recording... Sorry, I don't know, I can't remember...

 

That said, I'm pretty impressed at how good it looks mirroring the iPhone to the AppleTV (over WiFi), I just got sucked into watching more than a few minutes of Star Wars: A New Hope.

 

 

Give some more info and maybe we can help. Please be very clear when you're mentioning the app which app on the ATV or the iPhone and when you say WiFi, which device you mean...

 

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I could use the DTVNow app on the Atv but would have to use WiFi. I do not want to use WIfi. I want to use cellular data.

Spoiler
The whole point of getting the DTVNow was to use cellular data.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

I could use the DTVNow app on the Atv but would have to use WiFi. I do not want to use WIfi. I want to use cellular data.

The whole point of getting the DTVNow was to use cellular data.

I hear what you want it to do, but I'm not sure you can actually beam it to the AppleTV while using cellular data.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

3 years ago

My reason for purchasing DTVNow and the Apple TV was to be able to use cellular data and watch DTVNow on my TV. I travel a lot and do not have Internet access.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

My reason for purchasing DTVNow and the Apple TV was to be able to use cellular data and watch DTVNow on my TV. I travel a lot and do not have Internet access.


I hear what you want it to do, but I'm not sure you can actually beam it to the AppleTV while using cellular data.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Ddubya This gets you an HDMI out port on your iPhone, that might be what you need for your purpose!

 

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/md826am/a/lightning-digital-av-adapter

 

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

3 years ago

As long as the WiFi is turned on, on the phone you are using your internet provider providing you are in range.

Only if WiFi is turned off on the phone will DTVNow switch to cellular data. 

This is not how this was presented to me when I purchased it. Why would I want an Apple TV with DTVNow? The whole sales pitch is to use cellular data to watch TV programs.

Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

3 years ago

With reference to your recommendation to purchase the Apple lighting HDMI adapter; 

purchasing the AppleTV from DTVNow when I subscribed makes no sense.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

The whole sales pitch is to use cellular data to watch TV programs.

The whole sales pitch is not just the free data, that's only for AT&T customers.

 

The sales pitch is 100 channels for $35. The bonus for AT&T customers is the free data from their mobile devices...

 

 


@Ddubya wrote:

As long as the WiFi is turned on, on the phone you are using your internet provider providing you are in range.

Only if WiFi is turned off on the phone will DTVNow switch to cellular data. 

That's how I understand it (I agree).

 

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

With reference to your recommendation to purchase the Apple lighting HDMI adapter; 

purchasing the AppleTV from DTVNow when I subscribed makes no sense.


I'm not saying that it makes no sense...  (Should I agree with you on this point?).

 

You did not "purchase" an AppleTV, you got one for free for prepaying for 3 months.

You don't have to use it. You could sell it to pay for the HDMI connector.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I purchased a service so that I could watch TV via AT&T cellular data on my TV by using the AppleTV that was part of the package. I understand that this is a promotion but someone at AT&T needs to be aware that this will not work. I would never have sighed on for this service had I been told of the limitations up front.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

I purchased a service so that I could watch TV via AT&T cellular data on my TV by using the AppleTV that was part of the package. I understand that this is a promotion but someone at AT&T needs to be aware that this will not work. I would never have sighed on for this service had I been told of the limitations up front.


You've said that many times now. You've also said it doesn't work. I didn't think it would work, (but I gave it a try for you).


Please provide the ad or the web page that says what you are trying to do should work and I'll gladly submit it. 

 

 

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Ddubya

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

3 years ago

It is not what was in an Ad or Web page it is what is implied.

I thank you for confirming what I had suspected.

i have been very happy with AT&T cellular service for many years and have always felt that the service and support have been good.

I cannot say the same about DirectTVNow. There seems to be a concerted effort on their part to be vague and misleading. 

RightNow

Scholar

 • 

74 Messages

3 years ago

I'm sorry that was never implied at all. You can use your phone AND stream it to the Apple TV using airplay, making use of ONLY your AT&T data over cell. But that's just using the Apple TV as a "mirror" of sorts. You wouldn't be using the ATV's remote or anythign like that, you'd just be using it as a display for the phone via airplay.  The guide, and everything else would be handled via the phone.


Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago


@Ddubya wrote:

It is not what was in an Ad or Web page it is what is implied.

I'm not sure if that was meant to be misleading, I haven't seen anything to make me think that, but obviously I haven't read or seen everything what you've read/seen. 

 

Sorry, just because it works on AppleTV and your computer and the FireStick and the iPhone and has free data (if you have AT&T) doesn't mean that they'll all talk to one another. Although now I'm wondering if a firestick and android app might interact differently and have some other options that work the way you'd like it to...

 

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…