Cyber Monday Deals: Get the Samsung Galaxy S21 FREE with no trade-in required!
The best prices for our Military families
M

• 

7 Messages

Wed, Jan 20, 2021 4:31 PM

Getting the Military Discount

My son is active military.  He was home @ Christmas.  We went to ATT to get discount w military ID & pay stub in hand.  They said have to do online.  He is now back on base w no access to his phone.  I have tried for 2 days with long holds and passed over to “DirectTV” with no results.  I now have scanned cc’s of both of the above.  ATT has been awful .  I’m very frustrated and am seriously considering changing his account to another carrier.  Help please!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.3K Messages

10 m ago

he must take his paperwork into a corporate owned store, sounds like he saw an authorized retailer who dont have the ability to apply that discount. theres a DD form he needs to take in

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.2K Messages

10 m ago

They said have to do online.

That was false. He can sign up online but it’s not required. For active duty to sign up online, they need a .mil email address. Otherwise as noted above, documentation needs to be presented at an ATT corporate store. Hopefully he has his own account. If he is on your account, no discount. The account owner must be eligible for the discount.

• 

7 Messages

10 m ago

Thank you both for your help.  How might I find a corporate AT&T store in Denver?  What is a DD form?

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.3K Messages

10 m ago

Your son will know what form it is. 

• 

7 Messages

10 m ago

Thank you! And how might I find a corporate store?

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.3K Messages

10 m ago

google or yelp at&t corporate store

• 

7 Messages

10 m ago

Thanks so much!

• 

1 Message

4 m ago

Please go to att.com/militarysavings

• 

2 Messages

3 m ago

To clarify the required forms usually necessary for discounts pertaining to military service, an active duty member will not have access to a DD Form 214. A DD 214 is a form that one receives upon seperation from service which reflects the time of service, awards associated to service and deployments, pay grade, deployments and duty stations and is formally known as Department of Defense Form 214. This is the standard form for Veterans to receive discounts and is virtually the universal requirement for Veterans discounts. 

Active duty members generally are asked to provide a copy of their current orders which reflects where thwy are serving and to which company they are assigned. For example, it would state a members date to repprt to a duty station, the base name and location, which company they are assigned: Report date: 01JAN2022 Station of Duty: Langley AFB, VA   Company: 1 FW 1MG 1DS (1st fighter wing, 1st med group, 1st dental squadron). This is sometimes accompanied by a LES (Leave and Earnings Statement) which is basically a paystub and says how much vacation time has accrued. Many many many businesses though will accept either a valid CaC (Common Access Card) or military ID, or a state issued Veterans ID card to receive the discount. I often get asked how family members or dependents can access a DD 214 for active servicemembers and upon explaining the differences and told they were informed by a business that it is needed but generally receive contact later thanking me for providing them with the correct information on which forms to gather. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.2K Messages

2 m ago

@FlyAFguy85 For the ATT military discount, active duty only need present their ID card. I’m not even sure if ATT would accept orders or an LES.

• 

7 Messages

2 m ago

Thank you for your info.  On a different day, I walked in explained to the manager my son wasn’t w me, etc.  He said “show me a pic/evidence of military”.  I had all the info handy.  He over-road info on the computer and now we get the 25% discount.  I was jumping through hoops for awhile.  Thank you!!!

• 

7 Messages

2 m ago

I finally spoke w a different manager (different day).  He asked for evidence my son is in the military.  I provided it.  He instantly over-road on the computer and done deal!!!  Thank you all for your help.

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.3K Messages

2 m ago

Yay!!! Glad it worked out 

• 

2 Messages

2 m ago

@sandblaster 

I was providing information in general and not specific to AT&T. It is more so on the DD Form 214. The original questioner asked on obtaining the correct and necessary information to obtain the discount and stated she was told something pertaining to a DD form. I wanted to clarify what said form is and how to obtain it. I was providing information in general for obtaining military and veteran discounts as some businesses requirements vary from one another. Working with recently seperated service members, family of active duty, and even retired service members, I find that the jargon used in the military currently vastly differs from what was used decades ago or is difficult for non-military family members of those who are on active duty. Luckily through a collective effort enough information was provided and through consistent effort to reach someone with higher tier management authority, the discount has been added to the account. 

It is my experience with AT&T that it sometimes takes 2-3 billing cycles to actually see the discount on your statement. When I submitted my Veterans ID card for my account, I received an email it was accepted and would be applied to the account. About 20 minutes later I received another email that said I had submitted something that is restricted by federal and/or state law and the submitted document would be perged from AT&T systems. I was very confused and concerned about this and was informed through contacting AT&T call center that it is normal and the way AT&T deletes the photos submitted as to keep personal identifers such as a photocopy of an ID out of their system in case it becomes compromised. More of a protecting our butts and yours at the same time type of thing. After receiving bills a few times and not seeing the discount I wondered if it was still on the account, it did show up on the statement just takes a few months. It seems to be the normal process for AT&T to take 2-3 cycles after submitting verification so don't be alarmed if you do not see the discount right away. (Again more general and not directed to anyone specifically).

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

1 m ago

I was advised today that AT&T is no longer offering a military discount on Internet services or DirecTV. Can anyone clarify that?

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.