Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!
C

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jan 20, 2020 10:58 PM

Frustration with signing up for military discount

1/17/2020

In late November my husband got a new iPhone. The salesman suggested we apply for the Military discount since my husband is a veteran…25%, that is a lot. The salesman added his veteran’s ID info to his cell phone account. On 1/15/2020 we called to start the process to get the discount. One of the AT&T representatives we spoke with told us she did see he had been validated as a veteran. We were then transferred to another department.

We were informed in order to get the discount my husband has to be primary responsible for billing requiring a credit check and a new account. Also included selecting a more expensive plan. Thank you for waiving the $18 fee.

Information was sent to us detailing how to prove he was a veteran (this has already been done once we purchased the phone.) This information was now invalid since we had to have a new account. (REALLY?)

As AT&T customers we have all of our services bundled (Internet, DirectTV, home phone, and cell). How does this continue? Required yet another phone call. It is now 1/16/2020.

After speaking with 3 different very pleasant AT&T representatives I think the primary on all the services have been changed to my husband. (Hopefully the military discount, discount for paperless billing, and auto pay will all apply.) The payment information did not change, the paperless billing e-mail did not change however, I am uncertain as to whether or not either will work for the new billing cycle. Proof that he is a veteran has been successfully uploaded. Once this is verified the discount will be applied in two to three billing cycles. (We already received a bill in less than a week?) Don’t forget, the information was available on the initial account with me as primary.

This process has taken hours (phone calls, online work and one trip to AT&T to whine) and I’m really not sure everything is in place. Our account on which I was primary worked wonderfully. The e-bill arrived and was automatically paid. All that had to be done was switch his name to primary. Nothing else changed.

Seems to be an excessive amount of work to us.

Frustrated Long time AT&T customers

Robert and Cheri Broeker

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

6 months ago

Hello,

A visit to the local corporate store and resolve this much easier and quicker than repeated online and phone communication. They simply have to transfer the account form one name to another, and then apply the military discount. It’s listed as a discount of 15% for non-unlimited plans or 25% for current unlimited plans. This is ongoing, so once use be a breeze. The other bundled tv and home services can delay this process by a bill cycle in some rare cases.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

Hind site is 20/20. Thanks!

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

Good morning fellow Veteran and I thank you for your service. The problem you're having is very similar to mine when I signed up for a military discount. You just have to stay persistent with them. When you get the discount it won't say military discount. It will say something else but it is the discount. It was very frustrating but eventually it came thru.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

39.2K Messages

When you get the discount it won't say military discount.

@frenchie903 Not sure why it doesn’t on your bill. Here is how it lists on my bill:

Discount for Military Appreciation

-$16.25

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question