Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

548 Messages

Wed, Jul 31, 2019 4:05 PM

New York/Boston/Philly - America’s Best Sports Rivalries

Giants vs. Eagles. Bill Russell vs. Wilt Chamberlain. The little regional derby known as Yankees vs. Red Sox. There may be no more rancorous rivalry, nor a more storied sports history of highlights and heartbreak, than the ones shared between Boston, New York and Philadelphia’s sports teams. And the best part is, the rivalry along the Eastern seaboard only seems to be getting more intense.

This weekend, the Red Sox and Yankees will face off once again after taking their historic rivalry across the pond to London, where the Yankees took both games, but both teams showed off a ton of power. The hosting Red Sox desperately need a good series to stay serious in the playoff race. But that’s just a little bit of seasoning on already rich shared history that's helped this three-way rivalry seep into the blood of Bostonians, New Yorkers, and Philadelphians.

Let’s revisit some of the moments of malice, the historic hatred that brings this rivalry to life.

Responses

Scholar

• 

84 Messages

7 months ago

So, three things ...

1. I get that this is focusing on Eastern rivalries but i dont think you can have a conversation about rivalries without mentioning the Celtics and my LA Lakers. Together, they account for nearly half of all the NBA Championships and often went through each other to win them.

2. Is there a Western rivalry? I'm not that familiar with bball or football but, in basketball, I could only think of maybe the Spurs and Lakers? The Clippers and Lakers may be a great rivalry for the next few years ...

3. It turns out that, in addition to the Lakers, I'm an accidental 76er fan. I was wearing a Philly Mutombo jersey, a year ago, and someone asked if I was a Philly fan.

I was about to say I was a Laker guy when I stopped and realized that I had that Mutombo jersey, an Iverson jersey, a Dr. J jersey, an Embiid jersey and a Simmons jersey - so I said, "Yeah .... I guess I am a Philly fan." Smiley LOL