Cyber Week Deals: Get $800 off the Google Pixel 6 Pro with FREE Google Pixel A Series White Earbuds!
What is happening with 3G?
DeereJohn's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Mon, May 9, 2016 6:47 PM

Will AT&T Release Android 6 for S6 Edge phones?

Based on other answers that have been given by AT&T in this forum, I know AT&T can't give any exact dates as to when the Android Marshmallow update will be released, my question now is: Will AT&T release Android Marshmallow for the Galaxy S6 Edge at all?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

6 y ago

@DeereJohn wrote:

Based on other answers that have been given by AT&T in this forum, I know AT&T can't give any exact dates as to when the Android Marshmallow update will be released, my question now is: Will AT&T release Android Marshmallow for the Galaxy S6 Edge at all?

I have MM on my a928 edge+...  ATT just needs to flip the OTA on for the s6 series and for some reason they have not.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

I know Marshmallow exists for the S6 Edge (and other Galaxy phones)--and that all it takes is for AT&T to flip that switch. I'm wondering that since they're so far behind the competition do they even care about the competition? Meaning, do they even plan on releasing it? I'd like to know from AT&T if us even hoping to upgrade to Marshmallow is an exercise in futility at this point.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

6 y ago

@DeereJohn

they will release since samsung posted it to there change logs on the samsung.com

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

Yes, I've read that Samsung has updated their site to mention the regular S6 on AT&T. Has anyone been able to download and install it?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

Look back at the history folks.  Maybe some of you are new to Android or AT&T in general.  But AT&T is the absolute WORST at releasing software updates in a timely manner, they're always the very last carrier to release any updates, but especially major OS updates.  Answer, it will come when it comes.  If Samsung has an update for a device, eventually AT&T will release.  However it takes them a long time to load all of their bloatware and junk most people don't want or use into the new OS.

If you want the latest updates, don't buy your device from AT&T.  Payment or discount plans, while convenient, put you at AT&T's discretion and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.  If you buy the international unbranded version of the phone, yes you have to pay $$$ up front for the device, but you'll be among the first to receive the new updates.  Plus the devices usually run quite a bit faster because they don't include all the extra bloatware you can't delete without rooting the phone and voiding your warranty.  Exceptionally slow updates are part of the price you pay for the convenience of a payment plan or contracted discount phone purchase.

mopinla

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 y ago

This is absolutely true. AT&T does not care about its customers. I have resigned myself to this fact. They were the same holding back on critical Windows Phone updates, back when I had one of those (Lumia 920 - best phone I've ever had!), and now I see it is exactly the same with Android updates.

The company line is, "You'll get it when we say you get it." If I had the time and/or money, I would play around more with getting the cutting edge. But we've signed onto AT&T, and they just. don't. care.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

My question still stands: Will AT&T allow Marshmallow to be installed on any Samsung device older than the S7?

So far it's looking like no:

1. It's been available since February.

2. AT&T is so far the only carrier in the world that hasn't rolled it out.

3. Samsung's site says should be on AT&T phones (or at least a select few), but it doesn't seem like AT&T is letting that happen.

So, pardon my pessimism, but I would like someone from AT&T to please confirm whether we can even expect to have Marshmallow on older Samsung devices.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

6 y ago

@DeereJohn

No one from ATT is going to say anything other than the canned info they have been giving.

Is it coming sure but only the people in the back office know when.  And they are not in a front facing customer department.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

Rolled out today!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

how come i went to go check my system and check for updates it says up to date im still on 5.1.1 Smiley Sad what do i do?

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

it did the same to me. just type in keypad *#8736364#    at top of page that pops up hit check for updates it will download mm and do the rest.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.4K Messages

6 y ago

It took 2 hours, over 1 hour 45 minutes to download and less than 10 to install.  

So far, nothing special.  But at least it installed okay.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

i did it and nothing seemed to work only told me connecting to dm server and nothing ever happend?

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

make sure your on wifi , it may take 2 hours to download,but it keeps running in background. then after it downloads only takes 10 min to install

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

yes i am connected to wifi and nothing happens just says connecting to dm
server and shows the arrows then goes away and nothing happens
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.