AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
M
Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Wed, Feb 12, 2020 10:21 PM

Update on Fix for Note 10+ 5G GPS issue?

I'd like to know if there is any progress on a fix for the Samsung Note 10+ 5g GPS issue. The issue that has a workaround on TMobile but does not have the same workaround for AT&T. On their software, you can turn off 5G service so that the GPS functions again, but on AT&T, I must go without navigation on a thousand dollar phone, and it's unacceptable.

​ PS -- the tags need to be updated. No GPS tag? No 5G tag? Seriously?

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

9 months ago

Hello,

Appears to be a resolution here’s until software solution is figured out for permannent resolution: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Note10/Fix-for-bad-gps-on-Note-10-5g/td-p/1020390

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Modwild

• 

19 Messages

9 months ago

Unfortunately, this fix only works on tmobile because at&t has disabled the functionality in their software. No number of phone calls to foreign nationals at at&t customer service is making them understand the severity of the issue. They keep saying to call samsung. I didn't buy my phone from samsung, and since I could use the workaround on tmobile, I know it's more than a phone issue. It's a service issue. It's infuriating that nobody is listening. Thank you for the comment. I wish it worked.

(edited)

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@Modwild

It really does not matter who you bought the phone from its still a problem Samsung knows about and still has not fixed. Get it warranty replaced and they may change their tune. And yes a android phones settings very by carrier because of the CSC file on the phone.

This is the price of buying a gen 1 5G device there is always going to be some kind of stupid bug.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Modwild

• 

19 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 Yes, it does matter. I'm not a Samsung customer. I'm a customer of AT&T who purchased a Samsung device from them bearing their own CSC. I am in retail, and it's my job to ensure that our customers are happy with the products we sell. We do not tell them to go directly to the manufacturer with complaints. That would be even more ludicrious to do if we put our own spin on every product. But AT&T knows of the issue, and they have the relationship with Samsung. They can contact Samsung and instigate a fix. I cannot.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@Modwild Your still missing my point.. Your warranty is with Samsung Apple or who ever makes the device. Since its happening on the same model phone on Tmobile it tells you its a Samsung problem. You pay for cell service the GPS is part of that and not part of that. ATT makes bad choices with android and apple. I have to turn LTE off to get calls to go thru in a area I travel. That is a pain now even on a iPhone because of changes ATT made for it to be hard. I get your point I do but ATT is not going to do a thing till Samsung does a patch they actually can't they are stuck waiting on the patch just like you are.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Modwild

• 

19 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 No, it's you who doesn't understand how warranties work. It even lays out the terms on AT&T's website. I go through them for a warranty issue. When was the last time you drove your car to Detroit or Japan to have repair work done on it? Sheesh. I'm not here to argue the point of a warranty. I was hoping someone would have an in with the actual company that I'm doing business with. AT&T. So they could help move this process along. I appreciate your desire to help, but you're wrong on this one.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@Modwild LOL no you should read the warranty terms on the Samsung.com warranty site. I have used Samsung for warranty repairs because of the JUNK REFURBS ATT sends as warranty replacements. It was easier to take it to a ubreakifix location and have them do the repair or replacement. A car warranty is a ton different than a phone or any electronics. Its not like Best Buy is going to replace a tv after the 15 day exchange policy is up. ATT doing warranty exchanges is a perk they really do not have to do it.

Samsung will warranty the charger in the box for 1 year ATT will not.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/warranty/

ATT says this and the underlined part is the problem for most folks.

Make a warranty device exchange

Contact us to do a warranty device exchange. Be sure to call us from a device that isn’t the one you’re having problems with.

When you call us, we’ll:

Make the warranty device exchange on behalf of the device manufacturer. Check your device manual or contact the manufacturer for warranty info.

Send you an AT&T Certified Restored device as a warranty device replacement. It can take up to 6 business days to arrive, but you can get faster delivery with priority shipping (1 to 2 business days) for an extra cost.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

What's your guess? If I take it into a UBreakIfixIt place, they will, what? Forward the issue to Samsung? At this point, I'm ready to trade it in for a regular Samsung Note 10+. I don't care enough about 5G to bother.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

Actually... the ball is in AT&T's court right now. Samsung has made available a fix for the issue that has very recently been sent out to TMobile branded Note10+5G's bearing a baseband ending in ATA5. (The current AT&T firmware ends with ATA2.)

I'm quite certain that the same fix has been made available to AT&T, but AT&T is responsible for pushing firmware updates to customers. It's not possible for any Note 10+ 5G with an AT&T SIM to get any firmware not explicitly approved and pushed by AT&T without (voiding the warranty.)

(edited)

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

THANK YOU for not making me feel like a fool. Lol

I know its related to ATT and not as simple as going to the manufacturer and I greatly appreciate your comment. I'm sharing it with everybody who has already claimed they can do nothing. I'm going to get to the bottom of this.
garyd9

• 

17 Messages

Here's the info from the T-Mobile firmware for the same phone (that is supposed to have the GPS fix.)

Baseband N976USQU1ATA5

Kernal 4.14.117-17392761 #1 Wed Jan 22 16:56:34 KST 2020

Build QP1A.190711.020.N976USQU1ATA5

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

You're a rockstar.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9 You can flash firmware without voiding the warranty. I have been doing it for years and Samsung has never ever not warrantied a device. And you are right the ball is in ATT's court now a fix has been released.

Now the problem I have is I can't find ATA5 on the ATT download server which I can find the next update for the s10 series.

The problem is ATT pushed the update for ATA2 on the 4th of this month. @Modwild what are you on ATA2 or ASL7

This is the first time I have seen the build numbers not match both carriers. Tmobile released ATA1 then ATT released ATA2 which is a newer build that maybe Samsung tried a fix.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/samsung-galaxy-note10-plus-5g/software-updates-samsung-galaxy-note10-plus-5g

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1374206?make=Samsung&model=SamsungSMN976U

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

Just to add to this: I contacted Samsung about the issue and spoke with someone via their online chat. After waiting a while for the rep to talk to other people, I was told that Samsung has sent firmware to AT&T that contains a GPS fix, but AT&T hasn't released it to the phones yet.

I also asked if it was possible to bypass AT&T and get the firmware, and was told that it wasn't possible - it must be approved by and pushed from AT&T.

So, in response to the so-called "expert" posting in this thread: Samsung has already fixed the issue, but AT&T is knowingly not releasing the fix. That makes this AT&T's problem.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76

What I said: It's not possible for any Note 10+ 5G with an AT&T SIM to get any firmware not explicitly approved and pushed by AT&T without (voiding the warranty.)

What you said: You can flash firmware without voiding the warranty. I have been doing it for years and Samsung has never ever not warrantied a device.

Those two sentences aren't the same thing. Just because they didn't enforce the voiding of the warranty doesn't mean it wasn't voided the moment you flashed any non-approved firmware.

However, if you want to continue this line of conversation, please create a new thread. I'd hate to derail the topic at hand: AT&T neglecting to push a firmware update that fixes the GPS issue.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Where do I find the firmware number? I don't see it under about phone or in the software download section. I know something updated either earlier this week or end of last and when the gps wasn't fixed, that's why I got back in the seek and find an answer game
garyd9

• 

17 Messages

settings -> about phone -> software information -> Baseband version

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9 No its the Same exact thing. If you read the letter of the law they can't void the warranty for flashing software that is for the device. That would be like telling you that you can't reinstall windows or dell will void the warranty.

In this case with the note 10 5g and it being such a Niche device right now I would agree there is no software to flash.

Also before you bash what I said I was going off what I knew at the time to be true that Samsung had not released a patch to T or ATT. I did not know they released it to T. The threads on Samsungs forums were not updated to state they had released a patch.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

Okay, @GLIMMERMAN76. Then please provide complete directions here in this thread for a supported method for flashing tmobile's ATA5 firmware on the AT&T SIM locked device and still have a functional device with an intact warranty.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Yep. I'm on ATA2. I was so excited to see the update only to get disappointed again. 🤬
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9 Reread the middle of my last post please. And I could not post that here even if I wanted to as its against the forum rules.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@Modwild

Let me do some digging around the update server later tonight as I do not have my laptop with me now. ATT could be using ATA6 for all we know. I know I could not get ATA5 to come up.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76

" And I could not post that here even if I wanted to as its against the forum rules."

It's against the forum rules to post a how-to on performing a supported procedure?

Actually, I was trying to find the "forum rules" before replying, but I can't seem to locate them. I'm sure some rules exist...

Anyway - Please take it from me that flashing the TMO baseband on a phone that's locked to an AT&T SIM would result in a phone with no LTE or 5G connectivity. The baseband includes the modem firmware, which would restrict the phone from using AT&T's bands and would go nuts with it being sim-locked to AT&T.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Sounds good!!
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9

No you can flash the update JUST NOT THE CSC file or modem file... The problem is finding the odin update package to do it since as I said its a niche device at this point. The other problem is what was causing the GPS issue software or firmware...

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@Modwild The next time you encounter the issue, try to turn the phone 180 degrees. For example, in my car, my phone is usually in a car mount that holds the phone in landscape orientation with the power/volume buttons facing down -- so I'd rotate the phone in the mount so that the buttons are facing up instead.

I'm starting to think that something with the 5G antenna(s) and/or the X55 modem chip is interfering with the GPS antenna(s.) If that's a good guess, then rotating the phone so the antennas are in a different orientation to the sky should help.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9

Are you trying to say it's a your holding it wrong issue? Apple already tried that.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 Well.. yes and no. Here's what happened to me that led to that post:

Above, I described how I mount my phone in my car above. While driving home tonight from work, the GPS was horrible. It would drop out for several minutes, come back for a minute or two, then drop out again. If you have a 5G note, you know what I mean.

Then, for no particular reason, I rotated the phone in it's mount 180 degrees as I described. From that point forward, the GPS seemed to work fine.

HOWEVER, it's not a valid test because the first half of my drive is much more likely to encounter a 5G signal than the second half of my drive. So, that may be the real reason that the GPS started working. Afterall, many TMO customers resolved their GPS issues by turning off the 5G radio.

Tomorrow, if I remember, I'll drive into work with my phone rotated the entire trip and see what happens.

Anyway, that's what led me to suggest that someone else also try with the phone rotated.

BTW, the "your holding it wrong" thing with Apple, I believe, was related to a person's skin making contact with two parts of the frame that were supposed to be electrically isolated. So, this really isn't related. If my WAG is correct, this would be a case of the X55 modem interfering with the GPS antenna/signal.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

My phone loses signal any old place regardless of where I am, so who knows? Stranger things than merely turning a phone around have helped issues.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.6K Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 is correct. Your warranty is with Samsung. AT&T has permission to do warranty exchanges on their behalf. However, you get whatever crap refurbished same model phone that AT&T has on hand. We have been regulars on the forum for several years, we have seen many complaints about the garbage refurbs from AT&T. Considering how much you have spent on the phone You're taking your chances.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

After testing this morning, rotating or changing the position of the phone does NOT work.

However, the experiment did confirm useful information: the issue only occurs in the presence of a 5G signal. (The phone doesn't have to be actually using that signal, but if the phone can "see" the 5G tower, the GPS goes nuts.)

For the next trial, I'm going to try and re-create a "bug" that was on my AT&T account a couple days ago: They didn't have my phone set up in their system correctly, so the old "nxtgenphone" APN was being pushed to the phone instead of a new "enhancedphone" APN. That resulted in the phone not seeing any 5G signals. If I can re-create that manually, it may work around the issue.

If that doesn't work, I'm just going to bring the phone back and exchange it for something else. I need the GPS more than I need/want 5G (and I'm within my 14 days.)

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

mmWave tech should not interfere with the GPS signal but then again this is only the 2nd 5g phone ever on ATT and the 1st for the consumer. I have no true 5g signal around here and I could not even test if I wanted to.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9

Changing the APN should actually work if you can get the phone to quit seeing the true 5g network.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 "mmWave tech should not interfere with the GPS signal but then again"

It's not mmWave on the Note10+5G. It's 850Mhz lowband 5G. (At the moment, only the S10+5G can do mmWave, and only the Note10+5G can do lowband 5G.)

I don't think it's the 5G signal itself that's messing with GPS. I think it's an issue with the X55 radio. As I'm sure you know, the phone will "talk" to any eligible cell it sees (even if it's not actually using the cell.) If I can persuade the phone to consider the 5G cells to not be eligible, it might work around the issue.

(I use the term "cell" here, which isn't quite accurate. However, I'm not sure what the proper modern term is.)

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9

according to the tech specs on Samsung.com that phone has mmWave radios if ATT is not using them thats another thing but if they are active is another story also att could have killed them with software blocks. This 5g rollout is a mess. I know the s20 series has both radios except for the regular s20 which has only low band and that is why verizon is not selling it at launch.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

Just tried a quick drive with the APN changed. It seems that the problem is somewhat better, but still not quite right. Instead of google maps popping into "searching for GPS" for 5-10 minutes at a time, it just seemed like the GPS would lag 10-20 seconds at a time.

At this point, I'm thinking that I might bring the phone back to the store. To me, the GPS is a big part of the device. I'd probably be okay with forcing the phone to 4G if I was assured of a fix for the problem soon, AND if the GPS worked properly when forced to 4G.

However, in this case, until/unless AT&T sends out a fix for the problem, I'll have GPS issues to some degree no matter what I do. (The increased battery drain and cost of the 5G phone really doesn't even play into my thinking here.)

I guess I'm also going to have to call AT&T's loyalty department. Part of getting the 5G phone _required_ that I drop my grandfathered "unlimited premier and more" plan for a plan that supports 5G (elite.) I'm going to need to talk to someone to try and get that older plan back on my account.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

@garyd9 The elite plan is cheaper if you have a FAN discount right now. you get it for the price of next one down.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 ... I'm on a military veteran discount, so the unlimited+more premium is/was $8 cheaper for my 3 lines.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Unless I'm missing something, there IS a fix, right? If so, then it's just a point of making it uncomfortable to sell anymore of these devices until they apply it with pressure across all fronts. They need to make us a priority and stop pretending that we don't exist.

I'm surprised to hear you have battery drain. My 10+ has excellent battery life. Of course, I updated from a Note 8, so I skipped a generation.

I love everything about this phone except the gps issue. If there is a fix, they need to roll it out. It's past time.
garyd9

• 

17 Messages

@Modwild Oh, I also love the phone... but here's my choice:

Note 10+ -- no 5G.

Note 10+ 5G -- has 5G, but no GPS and costs more.

Deciding between AT&T's current low band 5G and having a functional GPS is an extremely easy decision for me. I need the GPS. The low band 5G, in it's current state, doesn't really matter. The only reason I'd stick with the 5G phone is that it gets better 4G reception than the non-5G phone... but again, no reliable GPS makes the phone useless to me.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

OMG. I already switched my plan back to a non-5G plan, was about to get in my car to go return the phone (and go back to a non-5G phone) ...and now I'm getting a 200MB firmware update on the 5G phone.

I'll be really annoyed (with myself) if this is the GPS fix.

Firmware version info:

baseband is N976USQS1ATA4

kernel version is a build done on Jan 20th

..and it contains the February android security patches.

I'll go give it a drive and see how the GPS does...

(edited)

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

I don't have a software update. Right now, I use all of my data with my Note 8 on GPS. I'll sue 'em rather than pay for any overages because of using it on my "unlimited" plan when the only reason I really use data is in the car. That's been my fix. When I need GPS, I link my Note. Pretty sad and pathetic they don't have real customer service available to deal with these situations. AKA representatives that can do anything. I'll just keep up my social media assault. At least it makes me feel better.

(edited)

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

Very quick update: The ATA4 firmware does not seem to correct the GPS issue.

I'm washing my hands of this 5G phone. I hope that Samsung/AT&T do better with their S20 launch (considering it uses the same X55 modem.)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.6K Messages

How does one have 'overages' on an unlimited plan? 🤔. Which is required for the 5G phone, so, huh?

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Mobile hotspot gobbles up a lot of data with GPS, and since I have to use mobile hotspot to use GPS, that's an issue.

30GB mobile hotspot per line

After 30GB, mobile hotspot speed slowed to a maximum of 128Kbps.

128kbs isn't going to do much for GPS.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

I hope you guys are still here. After talking with at&t and Samsung, both are still unsure of the issue. The former couldn't find how to change the network, but I managed that. What I don't know is what network other than LTE to try. Can you look at this pic and let me know what you think? It is originally on unknown...

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

you could make it drop to 3g only but that's it.

garyd9

• 

17 Messages

You _can_ make it not actually connect to a true low band 5G tower by changing your APN to the nxtgenphone APN. Google around for the full list of settings needed for it. Don't expect AT&T to be helpful. While I'm sure there are intelligent people who work for the company, I'm guessing that they aren't allowed to interact with customers.

Note that I mentioned doing this APN change on the Note10+5G earlier in the thread and while it did prevent connecting to true 5G, and it "helped" with the GPS issue, it didn't completely cure it.

I gave up and went back to the non-5G Note10+.

The really amusing part about this is that the upcoming Galaxy S20 series of phones will be using the same X55 modem. Hopefully the flaw isn't something with the modem itself, or samsung will have a very broken "flagship." (More likely, it's a hardware issue on the wiring and/or layout in the Note10+ 5G and all firmware updates can do is try to mitigate the issue.)

Very seriously, if you can still return the phone, I'd return it for a non-5G. Otherwise, I'd pursue a warranty claim until Samsung either manages to fix the issue or replaces the hardware.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

I do have a case with Samsung open now, so if it's a hardware issue, they should honor it. They said they would through the first year, so that's better than nothing. I don't know that I'm still able to return it for a new phone through AT&T, but they know I've been asking about the issue for some time, so we'll see. At least AT&T admits to the issue now, whereas at first, they tried to play it off. That's progress!

• 

2 Messages

I have the same issue as you 2 do.
I'm primarily in 4G coverage until I go to Chicago, which is nightly except Saturdays.
I have the same GPS issue even on 4G.

What I have been doing is open my Waze app, set where I'm going,
Pull the notification drop down, turn off the GPS then turn it back on. After about 10 seconds the GPS reconnects and stays connected throughout the trip.

I'm not on 5G and still have the issues with the GPS.
I'm considering pestering them to upgrade me to the S20 like I originally wanted but it hadn't rolled out yet. I upgraded from the note8 and gave that to my Step-son because his phone was crapping out.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.6K Messages

Since this is a Samsung and AT&T problem, which by the way has persisted for years on and off with random devices. I had the exact same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S3. changing devices will not necessarily resolve your problem.
Well at least not changing within Samsung brand while AT&T customer.

Modwild

• 

19 Messages

If anybody gets the latest Android rollout with all of the bells and whistles and notices a change with the dropping gps, I hope you'll drop a line here. I'm still hoping!

I'll try the Waze workaround tomorrow to see how that goes. I miss Waze. 😟

• 

2 Messages

Since the 1UI 2.1 update, I have not had any problems with the GPS.
Waze is seemlessly connecting instantly.
If you have not done any recent software updates try that.
Mine wasn't pushed. I had to manually check
Modwild

• 

19 Messages

Great! I updated at midnight, so I'm excited to try it today. Fingers crossed!
Modwild

• 

19 Messages

I was just thinking about this former issue and thought I'd post an update just for the heck of it. GPS works great know, but I no longer get any 5G service. It's a bit disappointing since I bought a 5G device, but I guess that's the price I pay for adopting a new phone too early. Anybody else have the same issue after the upgrade?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

The s20 ultra did not have this problem..  I still have yet to figure out why the note had this problem so bad.

Get started...

Ask a new question