Gift your grad endless possibilities. Celebrate right now and connect them to their brightest future.
The Samsung Galaxy S23
I

• 

5 Messages

Friday, September 25th, 2020 12:19 PM

UNLOCKING MY S9 ON MY CLOSED AT&T ACCOUNT

So basically I had a few accounts or phones on my account, only one was retained due to the fact my son was still attending college in Chicago.  The phone is from Hawaii and bought from AT&T.   

So I did the unlock request, and got a response stating we had a "Balance on the Device"!  Yet that can't be and I had confirmed with AT&T Accounting/Billing that there isn't any balance and they don't know why it's stating that, sounding like I should know!   The account has been closed and I provide all my info to confirm as well the IMEI of the device we need unlocked.  I keep calling you 800 number and I keep getting transferred to your "OUTSOUCED CALL CENTER" in the Philippines and it never fails, they can't access this because it's closed and they can't so anything for me.  So I call back and same thing......over 6 times and I actually waited on the phone for at lease 1 hour to not lose my opportunity to get some service and actual help to finally UNLOCK this device.   So I pray you or anyone here can assist me, because it's getting rather frustrating that I have to keep staying up  between (12am - 5am) just to try and get a hold of someone in the US Mainland Office.

ACE - Sage

• 

107.2K Messages

3 years ago

The computer portal has limited responses. If the device is paid off, the reason you can't unlock it is because your final bill is not yet paid. Your final bill will be mailed to you, and once your payment is made, receive, and process, then you can unlock any devices attached to that account.

We advised the people pay off devices and unlock them before porting out or canceling lines because this is standard operating procedure

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Yah, I know what your saying because we had unlocked the other phones prior.  This account was closed long ago and paid off bills and the phone, nothing on AT&T sides shows I owe (Billing/Accounts)?  So what would I receive from them when I've already paid and relocated?

ACE - Sage

• 

107.2K Messages

3 years ago

The only thing left is to file an FCC complaint online. It's free. It would be forwarded to AT&T upper management who will contact you by phone. What does needs is somebody high enough up who can override and manually provide you an unlock code

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Hi and guess what.....?  During the Forum question typing I was on the phone with AT&T Customer Service, and it all comes down to this.  A processing bug when another account is assigned to the old phone number it's attached to it and will not clear it as "PAID OFF".   So they had to do somethings of which I'm finally glad they made the effort to figure it out and get me my UNLOCK CODE......!   This forum was good luck, Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.