The Samsung Galaxy S24
DreamTFK's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, April 25th, 2019 1:29 PM

Unlocked S9 Using HSDPA For Calls

Purchased an unlocked S9. Data works fine on ATT and my phone has successfully downloaded all updates. As soon as I place a call the LTE logo disappears and it is replaced with an 'H' or 'H+'. When I hold the phone to my ear I can barely hear the person on the other end but they can hear me fine. Oddly enough, if I pair up my Bluetooth headset, a Bluetooth speaker or even use the speaker phone I can hear the call just fine. I am told that my voice sounds really bad on speakerphone though.

I am having a hard time determining whether this is an issue with the device and I need to initiate a return or if it is something ATT needs to fix. I spoke with ATT tech support and they told my a ticket needed to be opened to allow my phone to use VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) and that would definitely resolve the issue but it did not. I have called ATT three times now about this and asked them to open another ticket. I was also told I would receive calls back and did not as well as a text message when the ticket was complete but did not.... very frustrating.

Does anyone have any insight or advice on how to resolve this? I use this phone for work and this is becoming a REAL problem for me.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

If its a U1 model which is the unlocked version it won't get VoLTE since its not whitelisted and customer service can not just put in a ticket for that.  It also needs a new CSC file on the phone to work.  You would have to turn the U1 into a U series and download all the ATT bloatware.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the response. So it sounds as if I was sold a phone that won't actually fully work on ATT then. Yes, it is a U1 model.

In your opinion would I be better off just returning the phone or trying to convert and adding a new CSC file as you suggested? I am not sure what any of this even means honestly. Is there a link you can provide with the steps to perform what you suggested?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Based on your description, it has a mic problem.  It’s defective and should return.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

No one I have spoken to says they have an issue hearing me so I am not sure how this is a mic problem?

The issue I have not being able to hear others. This also does not explain why my phone does not use LTE.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@DreamTFK wrote:

No one I have spoken to says they have an issue hearing me so I am not sure how this is a mic problem?

You wrote “When I hold the phone to my ear I can barely hear the person on the other end but they can hear me fine. Oddly enough, if I pair up my Bluetooth headset, a Bluetooth speaker or even use the speaker phone I can hear the call just fine. I am told that my voice sounds really bad on speakerphone though.”.  So you have a problem that indicates a defect.  

The issue I have not being able to hear others. This also does not explain why my phone does not use LTE.

Your phone doesn’t use VoLTE because it’s not an AT&T branded or whitelisted android.  The list of non At&t android phones that do get VoLTE is short.  Pixel 3, oneplus 6t, honor 8.   

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

The ATT rep I spoke with told me the problem I am having hearing others is indicative of stepping down to HSDPA instead of VoLTE.

The rep told me once it uses VoLTE it would sound fine so that doesn't seem to indicate a defect. The ticket she opened internally was so that my phone would be added and then it would be able to use VoLTE.

Who handles the whitelisting if it is not the provider?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@DreamTFK wrote:

The ATT rep I spoke with told me the problem I am having hearing others is indicative of stepping down to HSDPA instead of VoLTE.

The rep told me once it uses VoLTE it would sound fine so that doesn't seem to indicate a defect. The ticket she opened internally was so that my phone would be added and then it would be able to use VoLTE.

Who handles the whitelisting if it is not the provider?

@DreamTFK 

Look that rep was a moron...  Stepping down to 3g does not change the voice.  I use it EVERYDAY.  My phones are set to not use VoLTE because of I live in a area where I get fringe coverage and calls will drop if VoLTE is on.  My calls work just fine.  I would say you have a phone speaker problem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

Ok well that does make sense. At least you have the option to use it. I can't even use VoLTE if I would like to and the auction did not include any exceptions for this phone or caveats. I would still like to know, who handles the whitelisting if it is not the provider? The support ticket they opened was for white listing from what they told me.

No offense but it seems unlikely that I have both a whitelisting issue AND a speaker problem. This phone was supposedly extensively tested so I very much doubt the speaker went bad during shipping. I will call them back and provide this info I guess.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@DreamTFK wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 

Ok well that does make sense. At least you have the option to use it. I can't even use VoLTE if I would like to and the auction did not include any exceptions for this phone or caveats. I would still like to know, who handles the whitelisting if it is not the provider? The support ticket they opened was for white listing from what they told me.

No offense but it seems unlikely that I have both a whitelisting issue AND a speaker problem. This phone was supposedly extensively tested so I very much doubt the speaker went bad during shipping. I will call them back and provide this info I guess.

If that phone is a U1 which you can see in about phone its never going to get VoLTE.  There is nothing to whitelist and ATT does not even allow it trust me I have tried and tried.  Even if they do you do not have the right programming on the phone for it to work.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

So when you place a call do you also get the 'H' symbol instead of LTE? It is kind of hard to explain why it works fine on speakerphone or Bluetooth. Perhaps the VoLTE and speaker issue are completely separate and I am just conflating the two.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.