Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
E

• 

2 Messages

Thu, May 28, 2020 5:26 AM

Unknowingly locking an unlocked phone

I am a TracFone rep that works inside Walmart alongside some OSL people. One of the OSL people had an AT&T customer who came in to put a new phone on his plan because he broke his current phone. He couldn't remember his account PIN, so he chose the option to have a one-time passcode texted to his phone. Me being the helpful person I am, volunteered to let the AT&T customer put his SIM card into my unlocked phone so he could receive that one-time passcode. As soon as I put his SIM into my phone, it immediately reprogrammed my phone, started downloading a bunch of AT&T apps and now refuses to accept my APN settings or connect to my own personal carrier. Also, the phone now says AT&T when I turn it on and it used to say Sprint because that's who I purchased the device through. I think my phone is now locked to the AT&T network, and factory reset did nothing. Please help me undo what I've done! 😞

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

a month ago

Not possible - unlocked phones cannot be locked to another carrier.
While your phone has successfully converted to AT&T, it should also convert back when you install your Sprint SIM card. Did you do that?

My unlocked AT&T S8 converted to T-Mobile, then verizon. Unlocked S9 converted to Verizon.
Samsung has the software for all four Networks on their phones. Once they update to the next OS, that software is available for use.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

OK, yeah, after getting my Total Wireless service reactivated, the phone still says AT&T when I turn it on, and still contains all the bloatware related to that but now that I know its not actually locked to AT&T, I can deal with it. I've never had this phone convert to any other carrier's specs before because I originally had Sprint until just recently. But thanks for the info. At least now, I know what to expect should I go swapping SIMS around in the future.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

Yeah, but it still should convert back to sprint software, with a sprint sim installed.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

38 Messages

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078492/

Samsung calls it the Bring Your Own Device Experience. If you click the arrow next to Carrier Preloaded App List you can get an idea of which carriers it will convert to when their SIM is installed. Total Wireless isn't listed. If you want it to go back to the way it was, you'll need to install a Sprint SIM. Since Total Wireless operates on Verizon, there might be some advantage to converting it to Verizon.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

Exactly. 👆

Get started...

Ask a new question