The Samsung Galaxy S24
archer1128's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, December 10th, 2014 4:24 PM

Trouble device unlocking Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I finished my 2 year contract and submitted a request to unlock my Note 2 so it accepts SIM card from other carriers, espcially when I travel. Apparently, AT&T approved the request and sent me the unlock instruction with unlock code. I followed the instruction and entered the unlock code but the phone returned me a message saying the unlock was UNSUCCESSFUL. I contacted tech support and they escalate the case for me and I got the same instruction from the unlock team again and telling me the issue was solved and I can now unlock my phone. I tried again and got into the same error/issue again, unlock was unsuccessful. I have attempted to unlock the phone 4 times and don't want to try the 5th time as my device will be permenantly locked. I attached the email I received from AT&T below and can anyone please help! Thank you!

To unlock your device, simply:

1. Turn on phone with non accepted SIM card.
  2. Phone will prompt you for unlock code.
  3. Enter unlock code we have provided you.
  4. Phone will accept unlock code and now your At&t Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317 is unlocked.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I finally found a solution, if you have upgrade firmware to android 4.4.2 and had the same issue, follow these steps and it should solve the problem for you. At least it worked on my phone. Good luck!

Android 4.4.2 KitKat with the unlock code provided
However an error message was displayed upon entering the unlock code in the appearing prompt when a foreign SIM Card is inserted.

In order to successfully unlock the phone, this had to be done firstly:
1. Make sure that wifi and flight mode is turned off
2. Go to the Dial pad and dial *#197328640#
3. Click on number [1] UMTS > [1] Debug screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] NETWORK LOCK
4. You will see 3 options
5. Please click on number [1] Perso Sha256 INFO, the screen will change slightly
6. Please hit the MENU button then when the menu pops up please carefully hit BACK to return to the previous screen
7. Please click on number [2] Perso Sha256 ON, the screen will change again to a one line message
8. Restart the phone on the screen by holding the power button and click RESTART
9. Reattempt to enter the code
10. Now the phone is supposed to accept the unlock code.

These instructions have been published on the ebay by the member jmsobrino.

The above solution was copied from a post by markleys on http://forums.androidcentral.com

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Comfirmed. the steps above work.

I was also given a code that would not work. and was on the 4th attempt of 5.

By following the steps above my phone  (Note 2 4.4.2) is now unlocked.

I hope this helps for others wanting to unlock a SGH-I317 on 4.4.2 Note 2 locked to ATT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Confirmed!

This step works like a charm!

This saved my device!

Thank you so much!

I guess this was due to a stupid bug in the firmware by a stupid ATT engineer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hi,

Does this solution require a non ATT sim card? Or it will work just with the phone itself? Please advise. thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This works like a charm. Thank you very much for this awesome instruction especially after 4 days of calling ATT and Samsung 8 times. ATT couldn't do anything but to give me a run around. I finally able to unlock my device using this method!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

AT&T claims they no longer have the unlock code for the Note 2.  I've paid off my contract and want to use this phone for overseas travel.  Do I need an unlock code to use the instructions that were posted?  Are the codes different for every phone?  

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

8 years ago

You need an unlock code to use the instruction that was post.

unlock code is different for every phones.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Att doesn't develop the firmware for phones, the manufacturer does the firmware updates, sooooo, that would be a stupid Samsung engineer....

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Crazy - after more than a year holding onto the Unlock code AT&T provided, I was at thr 4th attempt and AT&T tech support was useless.  I decided to let my fingers do some walking and searched the knowledge database and found this page.

I followed these steps and was finally able to receive a successful response "Phone has successfully been unlocked".

Thank you so very much!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I see 4 option s instead 3
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.