AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
oldcharley's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Jun 10, 2015 3:55 PM

TRASH EMAIL

I have a Samsung-SM-G900A.  I can send and receive emails, however when it comes to deleting the emails when I look at the "Show all folders", I am showing over 200 email somewhere that I can't find.  When I tap the trash folder, I show nothing in there.  Where can I delete the trash.  I've gone to my email account through my provider, nothing there either.  Is AT&T hanging on to my emails for some unknown reason?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

7 years ago

.....built in email.... The email app included with all smart phones.

It answers my question to a couple things. Yes, you are using the built in email app. And it probably doesn't have the right settings.

Your settings may be set to limit sync to 30 days of email, going back only 2 weeks, etc.
You may have mail in drafts, sent, outbox, trash, junk (I know redundant), probably don't have spam.

As I wrote, I dislike the included mail app that is built into cell phones and use gmail. I don't get spam and it works well. Since you have a google account for the phone anyway, I recommend downloading the gmail app and forwarding private mail to it instead.

Easiest way to clear your phone of any cluttered email mess is to remove the email account in settings first. Add gmail app, sign up for gmail account, sign in to gmail account in gmail app, and private email to gmail.

I swear it's easier than it sounds, especially when you don't have these headaches anymore.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

7 years ago

Are you using the built in email app? I will assume so. I found it lacking on the GS3 and Note 3, so I don't use it. It doesn't allow you to mark spam, among other faults.

If improvements have been made, the settings on both your provider end and the phone have to match up in order for mail to be treated correctly.

I forward my mail to gmail and have the gmail app on the phone. It works. I have it set to forward then delete from my provider. If it isn't deleted it will continue to sync back onto the phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I don't believe I am using a built email app, as I don't know what that is.  I am using my regular email and not gmail.

Thank you for your reply.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

7 years ago

Let me know if you have more questions.... Happy to help.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

My "Inbox, Drafts, Outbox, and Sent" all show no emails.  Only my Trash which is showing over 200 email except for when I open it and it shows no emails.  I guess my only option is to delete that account, which really saddens me for I don't like having to have two email accounts.

Thank you for your information you provided.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

7 years ago

I understand
Your email is set to show a certain time period on the phone. Emails in trash outside that time period are counted, but not shown.

If you really want to stick with only the private email, try tweeking settings on both ends to show all emails. Or on your provider side, to delete emails quicker from the server.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.