For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
C

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, February 11th, 2020 4:18 AM

Software update

Can I do a android software update over the air, using wifi and activated AT&T prepaid sim, even tho I have no AT&T mobile service connection available?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

Do you have no service available because you are not in the United States? If so the answer is no. You have to actually be able to connect to AT&T to download their updates. All these update will continue over Wi-Fi to save on your data you still have to connect to AT&T cellular

• 

3 Messages

Yes, overseas. I bought an unlocked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8 on eBay and sent to Australia.

I have a AT&T prepaid sim and was hoping to use a VPN to get updates.

How else might I get updates?

Employee

• 

797 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Why would here be no mobile service? Like a closed account or suspended service? The update should only work via WiFi if you mean Android 10 and generally mobile service isn’t required on, but a provider sim in yes.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

AT&T Android phones do not update unless they are both in the United States and connected to AT&T for service. Updates will not occur if outside of the United States, or not using AT&T SIM card and service

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

I am overseas. I bought an unlocked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8 on eBay and sent to Australia.

I have a AT&T prepaid sim, activated it and was hoping to use a VPN to get updates.

How else might I get updates?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@mobilemax

You absolutely need att cell service to get updates. The update program checks the IMEI number to see if service is active. No service no update

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

@Coercion, there is no other way that we can discuss here.

VPNs won't do. You have to be connected to an actual AT&T tower for the device to verify with the AT&T servers. That means, actual cellular network service.

Maybe do a Google search for odin, sammobile, samfirm, and a lot of research on how to flash your own device.

- Joel
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.