Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Peji0212's profile

1 Message

Wednesday, December 13th, 2023 5:23 AM

Sim not activating due to incompatibility with Imei

I am a tourist here, and I bought a SIM so that I can contact family here in case of emergencies and easy communication, how do I go about activating the SIM that I bought?

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 months ago

You can't.   You're being told the phone won't work on AT&T. There's no point in activating the Sim and paying for service if the phone won't work.

You can try the IMEI check on T-Mobile.  T-Mobile is not a USA company and sometimes they'll allow a phone that AT&T and Verizon can't.   

All service providers have an IMEI check so that you can determine whether your phone will function on their network. Don't waste $ purchasing service until you've done that.   

If T-Mobile says no, you're going to have to buy a cheap phone, or pay your home providers roaming services.  

If you do decide to buy a cheap phone in the United States, Don't buy a carrier phone unless you are prepared to throw it away at the end of your trip or hand it off to another US traveler. Service providers cell phones locked to their service for up to 12 months.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.