Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
K

• 

7 Messages

Mon, Apr 27, 2020 11:11 PM

Samsung s20 ultra not updating

I'm on a family plan with my parents and I've been an avid Samsung user for years. I had the Samsung S9 for over 2 years and never got an update. I tried for months with Samsung and ATT and it never got resolved. I bought the phone in Feb 2018 and never had a single update.

I just recently upgraded to the S20 Ultra and I had hoped this would resolve it, but I'm about 2 updates behind and can't update. I've plugged it in on Smart Switch, I've checked for updates manually. Short of manually downloading it and (Edited per community guidelines) it or whatever you have to do (I'm ignorant of this route tbh), I cannot update my phone.

I'm frustrated and I feel like this has to be an ATT issue, there is no way I got the only 2 Samsung phones in the world that don't update. I purchased my S20 Ultra from Samsung but ATT branded.

Has anyone else had this issue?

My last security patch for my Samsung s20 is from February, to give you an idea of how far behind I am.

My father also has a Samsung phone and he has also not received any updates.

I'm truly at my wits end because I have spent hours on the phone with ATT to get this resolved.

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

2 months ago

Stick one of your parents Sims in the phone and see if it updates

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

I don't live with my parents so that isn't really something I can do right now.

My husband has a Sprint Sim card and I just shoved that in my phone and when I checked for updates, it was searching for about a minute and then let me know my software was up to date.

• 

7 Messages

Also, I received a new Sim card when I bought my S20 Ultra and that's activated through AT&T. My updates still aren't working.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

ATT : DO SOMETHING PLEASE ASAP.. YOU HAVE SO MANY CUSTOMERS NOT ABLE TO GET UPDATES FOR SUCH A LONG LONG TIME ALREADY. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

I called AT&T again yesterday, they said my IMEI wasn't right, fixed it, said they were emailing Samsung and I should get an update 2 hours from the call.

Nothing.

I checked this afternoon.

Nothing.

What a surprise.

• 

2 Messages

My wife and I are having the same problem. Her s20 and my s20 ultra have still not received any updates and I know for a fact there are. I've been round and round with tech support and still no fix! ATT fix this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 

7 Messages

I'm so frustrated, I love Samsung devices but at this point now I wish I had gotten an iPhone. My mom on the same plan has an iPhone and has received all their updates.

• 

1 Message

@KimmyP1 

They had my IMEI wrong too. My S20 Ultra is not even working right now and no one seems to be able to help! It's only 2 months old. Also, I just saw that ATT has my phone model incorrect. This is my second phone that is acting like it's hacked, so be glad your issue is only updates. Good luck I hope you get this fixed.

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

Another hour on the phone today with talking to multiple reps, transferred to Samsung twice, and at the end of it being told AT&T says my phone is up to date so there is nothing they can do and Samsung said to visit a Ubreakifix.

What I don't understand is why I have to spend more time at a completely different company fixing this problem. Why is the responsibility on me when this is OBVIOUSLY an AT&T problem, there is no way my father and I have the 3 phones in the whole Samsung universe that don't update.

I'm also beyond my return policy with Samsung so I'm going to be stuck with this phone if this doesn't work.

• 

7 Messages

a month ago

Went to ubreakifix last week and got my phone updated. This is not a long term solution. I am not taking my phone to a store once a month to receive my updates.

I have received zero help from AT&T on this. Tech support tells me their system shows the phone is up to date even though I was updates behind.

I truly feel like I've wasted money on a phone I was very excited about and I only blame AT&T for this.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Not that it will make you feel any better, but you aren't alone with this issue. I've done something similar with the last 2 phones I've purchased - Galaxy Note 8, and Galaxy S10+.

Both purchased directly from Samsung, but the ATT version. And I never received a single update from AT&T. Spent a lot of time on the phone with both AT&T and Samsung, who just do a lot of finger pointing. I'm now in a similar position to you, where I will either go with an iPhone and/or switch to TMobile.

Get started...

Ask a new question