Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!
ATTJulieCS

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thu, Jul 9, 2015 2:09 PM

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active OS Update 5.0.2!

How do I get the update?

Responses

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

The Pong root exploit does not work due to the kernel being updated back in May. Anyone who buys their phone with NEXT can get their phone carrier unlocked once the device is paid off. Even if you purchased this device "carrier unlocked" you would have this same problem.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

@DroidIT wrote:

I was referring to your post or even an excerpt from an AT&T manual showing the policy. I didn't really think that JulieCS from the 6th floor QA/FAQ department was the one delivering the gavel for all AT&T matters and relations.

Also, to your claim that the iPhone works differently. You couldn't be any further from the truth. They do not in any form forcefully install updates on your phone, ever. I have had many iPhones, including the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB that I traded in for this Samsung S6 Active(apparent mistake). Apple will inform you of the update, but they do not invasively install the update like a corporate Windows policy inforced update.

My claim was its in the manual not that ATT forces updates on iPones reread what I posted.  I hate to say this I am just a customer like you.  I just happen to like ATT service there phones not so much.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

@SpiderFudge wrote:

The Pong root exploit does not work due to the kernel being updated back in May. Anyone who buys their phone with NEXT can get their phone carrier unlocked once the device is paid off. Even if you purchased this device "carrier unlocked" you would have this same problem.

@SpiderFudge

Then there is the fact if they unlock it and take it to another carrier the phone will never get updated unless an ATT sim card is inserted with an active account attached to it.  And the hotspot feature would be useless also.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

So my point still stands and I am sure others can echo this....AT&T should not be allowed to forcefully and invasively install updates on my device when they see fit. They may own the software, but they render my hardware temporarily unusable and they use my wifi to carry out their mandated update. As Spider pointed out, this could be potentially serious in the event I need to call 911. Also, I have a capped Wifi limit as well that they do not pay for. I am sure this has to be illegal in some fashion.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

as you are aware they probobly have there backsides covered as most corps do these days.

@DroidIT

you can 1 star me all you want but this statement is the truth.

"Then there is the fact if they unlock it and take it to another carrier the phone will never get updated unless an ATT sim card is inserted with an active account attached to it.  And the hotspot feature would be useless also."

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

You should take note on the fact that I was 1 starred well before you, sir. Not sure who started doing it to me first, but it may shed light on why you received a one star as well. Now that we have shed enough tears about useless stars, let get back to the topic at hand.

If I go to another carrier with this phone carrier unlocked and rooted, I would be a betting man to say that I will be using a hotspot. I will also be willing to bet that I will never have to deal with the frustrations of a carrier such as AT&T as well. Any bets?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

My bet is there will be no root for it.

The note 4 still has no root. It also looks like they patched the hole
that ping pong root for the s6/edge.

If you get root and can remove arts hotspot lock then I would say enjoy
your hotspot

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

My bet is there will be no root for it.

The note 4 still has no root. It also looks like they patched the hole
that ping pong root for the s6/edge.

If you get root and can remove arts hotspot lock then I would say enjoy
your hotspot

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

I will just leave it as this. AT&T is trying to stop the unavoidable in unethical ways. It says a lot about what they continually try to strive for. It all started with net neutrality. Even the government is not as greedy and shady as some of the corporations are these days.

Also, head over to XDA. It is already beginning to happen and eventually will. The S6 group runs the same base code. Once they get on the same version, it's game over.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

Att and verizon

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I am a customer from China and using an unlocked S6 Active. I would like to ask why I can not receive this OTA for my S6 Active? Is it a must to use an AT&T sim card if I want to update my phone through OTA? If not how to deal with this problem?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

@DroidIT wrote:

I will just leave it as this. AT&T is trying to stop the unavoidable in unethical ways. It says a lot about what they continually try to strive for. It all started with net neutrality. Even the government is not as greedy and shady as some of the corporations are these days.

Also, head over to XDA. It is already beginning to happen and eventually will. The S6 group runs the same base code. Once they get on the same version, it's game over.

Somewhat the same since there is added code for the active button on the phone.

I just read the s6 active forum and dont see anything that looks good yet.  There really has not been that much movement since ping pong in the ATT s6 forums on XDA.  I have a 920i that im using.  The kid got my ATT s6.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

5 years ago

@Tyrael2003 wrote:

I am a customer from China and using an unlocked S6 Active. I would like to ask why I can not receive this OTA for my S6 Active? Is it a must to use an AT&T sim card if I want to update my phone through OTA? If not how to deal with this problem?

ATT is using a check system to do OTA updates the update system checks the imei to make sure its an ATT imei then tells the phone to download the update over wifi.  And you must be connected to the ATT network in the USA.

Get started...

Ask a new question