The Samsung Galaxy S24
ATTJulieCS's profile

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thursday, July 9th, 2015 2:09 PM

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active OS Update 5.0.2!

How do I get the update?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Effective today, July 9th, 5.0.2 is available for the GS6 Active!

Device Update Enhancements:

• Find My Mobile with Reactivation Mode

User Initiated Software Update

1. From the home screen, pull down notification shade and select “Settings“
  2. Under “System“ category select “About device“ icon
  3. Select Software update
  4. Select Check for updates
  • Software update process will not delete any personal data on your phone. Check the AT&T server for new software update?
  1. Tap OK
  • Status Message: Checking for update; Processing…The download for the software update will begin in a moment. The software download may take several minutes
  • Status Message: Downloading…
  • Software Update– A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network? For a list of free Wi-Fi networks click here AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots.
  1. Select Continue or remind me later
  • A new software update from AT&T is available for our device. This download will occur over Wi-Fi. Please make sure that you stay within the Wi-Fi coverage area while the download takes place. This could take several minutes.
  1. Tap Continue
  • Status Message: Downloading software update, Please do not leave Wi-Fi coverage area
  • A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All service (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install
  • The device will automatically restart once the new software has successfully installed
  • Status Message: Update Complete. The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use
  1. Tap “Done”

If you received a notification of the update, you will have the option to postpone 1, 4, or 8 hours - up to 3 times. 

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

How can I disable these updates from being forced on to my phone? The reason I ask is because since I paid for this device, I would like to root it as soon as it becomes available if I want to. I may pay it off early, carrier unlock it, and switch over to another carrier. This should ultimately be my choice, not AT&T's. I don't want to have to worry about some auto update feature restricting the ability of a phone that I paid for and own.

I know a few others in person that are livid about this as well. We all feel this is almost worthy of returning the device all together.

Not to forget, ATT is also using the data that THE CUSTOMERS pay for to force this update. Not everyone is downloading these 143MB+ updates at their local Starbucks Cafe. I think this in itself can lead to some pretty angry customers looking for mass reimbursements.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

have a read of this and this is why you own the device but not the software on the phone.

The software, interfaces, documentation, data, and content provided for your Equipment as may be updated, downloaded, or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates, system restore software or data generated or provided subsequently by AT&T (hereinafter “Software”) is licensed, not sold, to you by AT&Tand/or its licensors/suppliers for use only on your Equipment. Your use of the Software shall comply with its intended purposes as determined by us, all applicable laws, and AT&T’s Acceptable Use Policy atatt.com/AcceptableUsePolicy.

You are not permitted to use the Software in any manner not authorized by this License. You may not (and you agree not to enable others to) copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, reproduce, attempt to derive the source code of, decrypt, modify, defeat protective mechanisms, combine with other software, or create derivative works of the Software or any portion thereof. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute, transfer or sublicense the Software or any portion thereof. You agree the Software contains proprietary content and information owned by AT&T and/or its licensors/suppliers.

AT&T and its licensors/suppliers reserve the right to change, suspend, terminate, remove, impose limits on the use or access to, or disable access to, the Software at any time without notice and will have no liability for doing so. You acknowledge AT&T’s Software licensors/suppliers are intended third party beneficiaries of this license, including the indemnification, limitation of liability, disclaimer of warranty provisions found in this Agreement.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Does this explain why you can force the customers to use their own data to accept an update that is forced upon us by AT&T? I didn't see that anywhere in your post.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

IF you dont want the updates forced to you never use wifi again.  This is why I use carrier unlocked devices.  

Att warns you it will auto update after the 3rd time.  

IF a 143mb is going to put you over your data cap on your internet provider you need a new one.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

So you are saying that as long as I do not use wifi, then it will not autoupdate?

Also, I will not say if it will or will not put me over my limit. I can say that I am speaking for others that CANNOT AFFORD more data. Not everyone has a grandfathered unlimited plan or 10GB+ shared family data plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

from the OPs post

• Software Update– A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network? For a list of free Wi-Fi networks click here AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots.

If your never on wifi it should not auto update.  But this patch has the reactivation lock in it so it may install over cellular since its required.  All carriers are pushing the reactivation lock stuff right now.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/california-passes-new-smartphone-anti-theft-law-iphone-appears-to-already-comply/

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@DroidIT wrote:

So you are saying that as long as I do not use wifi, then it will not autoupdate?

Also, I will not say if it will or will not put me over my limit. I can say that I am speaking for others that CANNOT AFFORD more data. Not everyone has a grandfathered unlimited plan or 10GB+ shared family data plan.

you do realize ATT does not push updates over cellular right?  IF they were to do that they would not count it in the data cap.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Yes we own the device and we have the right to accept or refuse software updates. This is how most modern update processes work. If AT&T is changing this practice then we need to be informed before we purchase the device.

I was forced to update my device even though I purposely refused the update. The phone proceeded to reboot and install automatically without warning while I was using the device. I have never owned a device that I could not stop updates.

Even though updates are pushed via WiFi that doesn't mean I want to waste my data downloading an update that I don't want. I have satellite internet and it is very expensive for me to waste data in this manner. If AT&T is forcing updates then they are liable if my device installs the update at an innapropriate time or if my life is in danger and I can't dial 911.

Even the AT&T twitter rep replied to me saying "Sorry to hear that.  There should be an option to turn off automatic updates ^DanH"

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Considering how shady carriers attempt to be these days, I wouldn't put it past them. This is the first phone I have ever owned or have seen that doesn't allow you to check a simple box to disable these updates. Even Apple doesn't allow these kinds of limitations on your device. 

I should've assumed that getting a phone exclusive to AT&T would be a nightmare. Coupled with their steadily declining service availability and functionality, it may be worth returning this and switching to another carrier all together.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.