Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

Fri, Feb 6, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I just got off the phone with Samsung and they say it's not a known issue.  That the only fix is to factory reset and I'm not doing that.  She stated that it has not been reported that 4.4.4 update is having issues as for as WiFi connectivity is concerned.  They need to come up with a better solution than this period!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

STATUS UPDATE, All is still well:

1. Reset to Factory this morning at 9:00 ish.  Still on 4.4.2

2. Setup phone again and connected to office wireless

3. Wireless was stable and not bouncing.  Still on 4.4.2

4. Contacted AT&T via chat and asked them to push 4.4.4 to my phone.  Phone kept stating I'm on the current version.  Rep pushed 4.4.4 to my phone.

5.  I've been running for 2+ hours now on 4.4.4 with no obvious WiFi drops and only diminished 2% of battery (from 78 to 76%)

As painful as it is, I'd do the factory reset.  I realize that it BLOWS and we should NEVER have to do that, but if you want your phone to work as desired/advertised, take a little time and reset it.  You've already probably lost more time that a reset will take you.

bjpuhala

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

I too have the same issues.  I did uncheck the Smart Network Switch, and it resolved the issue for now.  This is not an acceptable fix.  I chatted with ATT a couple days ago.  The person with whom I chatted was aware of the issue, and told me ATT was working on it.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Well... something seems to have changed. As I previously posted had the issue with 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 after I loaded it yesterday. I then turned the Smart network switch off which resolved the issue to some degree as noted on this thread.

This morning I decided to turn it back on a see what happens. Much to my surprise it's working just fine. It's been on for the last 9 hrs. and I have had no problems. Battery is fine and I have not seen any network issues. Looking at my notifications I noticed that 2 Security Policy Updates were pushed up to my phone at about 6:45 West Coast time this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this?

H

Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

6 years ago

Well, having tried everything else to solve this problem, I finally resorted to a Factory Reset, and just finished restoring my apps, contacts, etc.  Alas, the Factory Reset DID NOT solve the problem.  I had to uncheck the Smart Network Switch feature once again.  Unfortunately, that doesn't stop the incessant Wi-Fi scanning, which of course drains the battery, but at least it keeps data usage from being impacted.

This is definitely an AT&T issue as none of the "fixes," including the Factory Reset, made a lick of difference.  Unchecking Smart Network Switch keeps the connection from constantly dropping, but it doesn't stop the scanning, so that's just a temporary workaround.  We really need a permanent fix for this issue.  .  

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I've been having the same problem since 4.4.4 was installed. Nothing has fixed the problem. The battery is draining twice as fast as normal.

Snakeyeskm

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

6 years ago

Also having similar problems after update to 4.4.4. Can you imagine what AT&T will do with Lollipop (when they get around to it). By the time they fill it with bloatware and put their stamp on it we will have the most buggy phones in the world. Can't wait to  switch to a different carrier.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Love the 1 star Smiley Happy   Wish it said what I did right to earn that. /snark

Anyway, update:

• Turning smart switching to off really makes no difference.  gsam showed almost no variance between modes over ~3.5 hours.
  • Using ultra-saving mode for the time being and that gives me battery life so I can make some calls during my commute.
  • Watching gsam pro, the radio activity has slowed in the last 36 hours.  The percents are a little off since using the ultrap mode though so I don't have great numbers to share.

One more time: turning of smart switch isn't, should not be, and won't be the answer. Within maybe 48 hours of actually getting the upgrade I bet phones will 'settle down' and all anyone will do is correlate that to the smart switch feature.   AT&T pushes updates and that process is what drives this issue.  Leave your smartswitching alone.  I've beta'd way too many of carrier OS updates, radio/battery activity is at it's peak during roll outs.  Ask other testers....

fishsalt

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Turning off data made no difference. This started with a forced update during the day.  I choose wait 3 different times when the choice install appeared and then it just installed by itself.

fishsalt

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I just got off the phone with att and it was a forced update that is causing this she had me turn off smart network and clear the system cache. Then power off the phone and it didn't fix anything. This is not related to the new vesion of the os but something else they forced on us.

DV8ed

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

That forced update must be why some affected are running 4.4.4 while others affected (like me) are still running 4.4.2

fishsalt

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

ATT knows it is an issue and they have no idea why. I just turned off my wireless because the constant connecting rescanning and reconnecting was causing the phone to get hot. I wonder what ATT will do if the "software issue causes a fire". The 3rd call to service " accidentaly" dropped and I didn't want to wait on hold once again so I guess I will deal with them when the  bill for the data comes. I would hate to change to verizon after being with ATT since 1989 but if they don't care then what can you do. Can anyone find out who the QA tester was for this update?

Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for the status update, Charise.  I unchecked the Smart Network Switch on February 5th.  That has been a helpful, although temporary, workaround.

Snakeyeskm

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

6 years ago

Charise, you are always very helpful and also a good soldier for AT&T. The reality is that all android updates are pushed out to the manufacturer's in relatively stable form. Then, Samsung (in our case) proceeds to put their unique stamp (touchwiz, Samsung apps and bloatware etc.) on the update. It then tests it to the best of their ability and pushes it out to the carriers. Many carriers (Sprint in the US for example) make minor changes and push it out to their customers. Other carriers like, AT&T and Verizon in particular, proceed to make additional changes, add bloatware etc. etc. These highly modified upgrades are then pushed out to their customers who in turn are forced to act as beta testers for these compounded layers of changes. I am dreading the final lollipop version that will be pushed out by AT&T.

The original 4.4.4 on other carriers have had no such problems and/or their problems have long since been resolved. AT&T's delay should have given them enough time to have avoided such problems, unless this problem was caused by AT&T modifications to 4.4.4.

Please tell me where I am wrong.

scorpdog93

Former Employee

• 

52 Messages

6 years ago

For now, the solution is to turn of Smart Network Switch - it is very buggy at the moment and Samsung is working on a fix.  Until that fix arrives, keep it off to avoid data overages and battery drain.

Get started...

Ask a new question