Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

Fri, Feb 6, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Same here, had it before loading the 4.4.4 update tho. Stared a few days ago. Really running the battery down now. Couldn't even get the battery to recharge over 65%. I've turned Smart Network Switch on and off a few times, some times it holds the network for a while longer after the switch but seems to revert back after a while. Keeping it off as suggested here seems to be a work around for now. At least my battery is charging again, but slowly. Hope ATT is listening, a factory reset is not an option. Doesn't seem to work anyway from what I have read. I was hesitant switching from my IPhone 5 back in October, its taken me a while to get use to the S5 and Android. This isn't helping. Get this fixed ATT!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same thing going on here.  Continuously searching for wifi.  Everything else connects.  Does it everywhere and not just at home.  Having to charge battery in the middle of the day as battery is draining.  Thanks for sharing the temporary fix.  Hopefully they fix it soon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Like so many others, I just joined now to add another name to the list.  

I first noticed that I was having an issue with my wifi dropping on Thursday night 2/5/15.  I tried a number of things - including turning my phone off and on (ha!), checking my settings, etc.  I checked for an update and it said there was not one available.  I was frustrated and figured it was something with my wifi, but it was late so I just went to bed.  The next day, that problem continued and I noticed it was also happening on my work wifi.  Through trial and error, I also found that turning off Smart Network Switch is a temporary solution.  It is quite strange since I have literally had that turned on the entire time since I have had my phone (ie since last April).  If I hae Smart Network Switch turned on, it will connect fine to the wifi at first, but then disconnect and will give the message "Ready to connect when network quality improves."  Just as others have said, there should be no issues with my network; there are other devices that are connected just fine and I had done nothing to change settings on either my phone or on the router.

On Friday night, I checked again for updates and I had one available (4.4.4).  Even after the update I am having the same problem as before with the wifi.

In addition to the wifi problem, I am also having trouble getting notifications from my Gmail app.  Everyone once in a while one will push through, but for the most part I need to go into the app and swipe down to refresh to see any new emails.  At first, I thought this was a separate problem, but the more I have read about others' problems the more I think it is related to the way the phone is interacting with wifi. 

As much as this problem is a pain, I was strangely relieved to find this thread as I was beginning to think I was losing my mind with this problem... I am living in a world of iphones over here who are definitely NOT having this same problem right now - imagine the slack they were giving me!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same problem for me, still on 4.4.2 (and seemingly no option to update).  I'm on chat with Samsung right now but they obviously have no idea what in the world is going on.  So far the support person has warned me that I probably have water damage.  Maybe all of us dropped our phones in a pool or something?

Now we are going through the usual steps.. safe mode, wipe cache, etc.  Going to stop short of factory reset.  Life is too short for that..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I had the same issues after the update and decided to perform the factory reset. The wifi doesn't seem to be going in/out like it previously was, however I am missing the boxes to check when using Mobile Data and WiFi. I usually keep my phone on wifi when I'm at home or at work, so I just quickly uncheck the boxes, now it is more of a nuisance, I suppose AT&T is hoping you will forget and keep using your data all of the time. If you select the Mobile Data option, you can check the box, but it doesn't show up on the main screen anymore. Is anyone else having that issue? Thanks.

DV8ed

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

Well another update came today (downloading soooooo slow), this one being 487.15MB.  Hopefully this one fixes the wifi issue and upgrades me to 4.4.4, as the last one only seemed to break my wifi "Smart Switch".

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I set up a user name just so I could add my two cents. I was on 4.4.2 and started having this issue on Thursday 2/5/15. It did ask me to do the software update but I had to be on wireless so I couldn't because my phone wouldn't keep the connection.

I went to chat to let them know and they said this is a known issue with S5 and to forget my network and reconnect. Well, when I did that, it didn't drop right away so I thought all was good. But it started happening again and on Sunday 2/8/15, I went to the AT&T store near my house and they had me connect to the wireless there and it was fine after a few minutes so I was led to believe that it was MY WiFi network and I contacted Time Warner Cable about my network connectivity. Well, I did some tests and eliminated Time Warner as the issue though I did get a new modem out of it.

However, I am still having this issue and it drained my battery by 50% overnight because it's going back and forth between wireless and 4G. Well, turning off smart network switching helped but I always had it on before 2/5/15 so something changed on that day. What is it and AT&T / Samsung needs to fix it.

Thank you!

DV8ed

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

Still downloading, @ 67% now. 

DV8ed

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

Update completd downloading and restarted twice (once @ 97% and then after completing) and was installed.  But when I check, I am still running 4.4.2 and the "Smart Switch" still doesn't work.

DV8ed

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

I just completed a chat session with a Samsung rep and was told there is no known issue.

Visitor: Is Samsung aware of the problems with the last update?

Paulin: As per our record there is no known issue presently.

Paulin: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?

Visitor: That is funny because I did a "Google search and found numerous posts about it.

Paulin: Samsung suggests not to follow any third party websites.

Visitor: https://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Wi-Fi-Connectivity-Problems-After-4-4-4-Update/m-p/4190704#M2830

Paulin: Sorry, We in Live chat do not have access to third party Links.

Visitor: As I am on the ATT network, that is who my updates come thru and this thread was on their forum.

Paulin: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Visitor: ok

Paulin: As of now, we are not aware of the issue. But I appreciate your feedback.

Visitor: Do a search for "Ready to Connect when network quality improves".

Visitor: Since Thursday, a lot of people are having this issue.

Paulin: Yes, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Paulin: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Visitor: That is it.

Paulin: We thank you for your inquiry today and hope your experience with Samsung tech support has been a pleasant one. In an effort to continuously improve our service, we request you to take a minute and complete a quick survey.Please click blue 'X' button on the upper right corner and you will be provided with the survey to complete.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

6 years ago

@DV8ed wrote:

@update completd downloading and restarted twice (once @ 97% and then after completing) and was installed.  But when I check, I am still running 4.4.2 and the "Smart Switch" still doesn't work.

That 487 MB download is the 4.4.4 update.  If your S5 still shows it's running 4.4.2, then it sounds like the update did not actually install. 

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I'm on 4.4.2 and had the same problem.  For giggles (I'm a glutton for punishment) I did do a factory reset this morning and since then I've had no problems with the WiFI bouncing like it was.  Many of you got the 4.4.4 update and I think it may be coincidental since there are those with 4.4.2 that have the same issues which all started about the same time.  I could not even get the 4.4.4 update... it was never available.  I just did a chat with AT&T and they are pushing the update to my phone.  Given the WiFi was stable after factory reset, it'll be interesting to see if the 4.4.4 breaks the WiFi again or if it remains stable.  May be a good "test" if the 4.4.4 update does or doesn't break WiFi.  But if not, why so many people with issues at the same time across two software versions.

Phone is updating as I type this so I'll reply to this post after the upgrade and let you all know what comes of it.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

OK I did the factory reset.  It works until the darn thing upload the 4.4.4 update.  Is there anyway to stop the update

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

So far so good.  no bouncing that I can tell and I could definitely tell before.  I'll post one more time for an update if it works/breaks.  Battery 78% (just as a time check to see how fast it drains)

majesstik

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

after struggling with this for the last few days, i stopped  by the att service center over the weekend. told the tech that problem started a few days ago on 4.4.2 and continued to have the problem after the update. he was sure that a samsung utility software would clean up any problems with the phone. so he basically flashed the phone and ran the software but it did not correct the wifi. so now my only option is to turn in my brand new s5 active which is only 2 months old, and take there like new device which god only knows how many other people have abused. not a bad scam, shell out 650$ and we will give u a refurbed phone

Get started...

Ask a new question