Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

Fri, Feb 6, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Voyager

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have been having the same issue since yesterday.Wifi drops and reconnects every 30 sec. This happens on both my home and office networks. Also my battery is draining about every 4-5 hours, and the phone is constantly running hot.

I have not upgaded, still running 4.4.2

Please help

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same isues as everyone else is describing, but I am still showing 4.4.2.

Doesn't matter if its home or work wifi.

Data spike.

Battery drain.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I am having the exact same issue and it started yesterday 02/05. Even before I received the notification that there was an OS upgrade, then when I tried to complete the upgrade my connection was bouncing so much it didn't complete it. So I am still on the 4.4.2. Tried the previous fixes and nothing seemed to help. Did shut off the Smart Network Switch for now but hate that I now have to go in and switch to saved locations when I travel to them. My battery has drained by 20% in 2 hours a the phone has been sitting on the counter. This issue is very frustrating and needs to be resolved.mo
virtual21

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I tried that as well. Forgot the network, reconnected, and unless I have Smart network switch turned off, it will connect, then disconnect about 30 seconds later.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I just had the following chat with Samsung Tech support.  They say a factory reset is required to resovle the issue.  I may try it this weekend.  If someone does perform the resest then please respond on here.  You might might save some folks the trouble if it doesnt' work.  Good luck all!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Christopher'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125603082707X

Christopher: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Kevin: wifi connectivity after the 4.4.4 update

Christopher: I read that you are unable to connect your device to Wi-FI after you update your device to 4.4.4 update. Is that correct?

Kevin: Yes, it connects and disconnects repeatedly.

Christopher: Thank you for the confirmation.

Christopher: May I ask you a few questions to assist you better?

Kevin: sure

Christopher: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SM, SGH, SCH or SPH .

Christopher: You can also find model number in Apps >> Settings >> General(More) >> About device.

Kevin: Isn't there a known issue? I've read several blogs stating identical problems. Is there a solution?

Christopher: Let me see what be st I can do for you to resolve the issue.

Christopher: Please let me know the model number of your device.

Kevin: SM-G900A

Christopher: Are you experiencing this issue after installing any third party application on your phone?

Kevin: No.

Christopher: Is the issue with your device Intermittent or regular?

Kevin: It cycles from wifi to 4G about every 30 seconds and seems to be constantly scanning for wifi. It drains the battery and I suspect my 4G data usage has increased as of a result as well. This is well documented in blogs and I know it's an issue with the 4.4.4 update.

Kevin: If there's not a solution maybe there's a temporary work around?

Christopher: Let us try performing your device in Safe mode.

Christopher: Shall we go ahead?

Kevin: Is this the first you've heard of this problem?

Christopher: I have handled this issue prior. But, most of the time it will resolve the issue.

Christopher: Let us check with all the possible steps.

Kevin: OK.

Christopher: 1) Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).

Christopher: 2) Press and hold the Power key.

Christopher: 3) When the device vibrates; release the Power key and immediately hold down the Volume Down key

Christopher: 4)  

Christopher: Keep pressing the Volume down key until the device boots up completely.

Christopher: 5) If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner.

Kevin: done

Christopher: Please try connecting your device to Wi-FI now and check for the result.

Kevin: it's connected

Christopher: Check if the issue is persisting now.

Kevin: It is. It dropped and reconnected twice already.

Christopher: In that case, let us try performing Factory reset and check for the result.

Christopher: Performing factory reset will completely reset the device, deleting ALL settings and all data on the device (including phonebook entries, pictures, games, and messages).

Kevin: You've got to kidding me.

Christopher: I am positive that this will resolve the issue.

Kevin: Well I'm not doing that no matter how positive you are. That's not an acceptable solution.

Christopher: May I have three minutes while I get the required information? Meanwhile, to have an interactive experience of Samsung products, visit us at http://samsungsimulator.com/

Kevin: Info for what?

Christopher: Let me check for the alternative solution.

Kevin: OK

Christopher: Thank you.

Christopher: Thank you for being online.

Kevin: OK

Christopher: I have checked with alternate solution for best available resources. I am sorry to inform you that we need to Factory reset your device in order to go further.

Christopher: Shall we go ahead?

Kevin: I'll be copying this chat and posting it on the blogs. This is obviously a known issue. Some of the blogs I have read dated back to Dec. 14, 2014. It's disappointing that this update was continued to be released and now I and many others are forced to go through this process.

Kevin: Have a nice day. I know how to reset my phone on my own.

Christopher: I am sorry Kevin, I am just trying to assist you in best way I can.

GLIMMERMAN76

20.3K Messages

6 years ago

has anyone turned off mobile data to see if it will stay connected?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
edurr926

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

this morning I turned off smart network switch and turned off always allow scanning and I have not had any issues with it dropping and reconnecting. 

DV8ed

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

Yeah, I was told the same thing today.  I think performing factory reset is becoming their standard reponse to any problem.  I might do it this weekend.  Might.  Like a few others have said, something must have happened to the upgrade because I am still running 4.4.2.  But after the update came thru yesterday, my wifi has been searching, connecting, dropping in an endles cycle.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have turned off smart networking as well.  This seems to be the best temporary solution, as it stabilizes the wifi connectivity.  I'll have to remember to switch to other wifi's networks manually, but I'd rather do that than reset my phone as the Samsung Tech suggested.  I'm hopeful they release another update to correct this soon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same problem as everyone else as of yesterday. Still on 4.4.2

Turning off the smart switch and scanning option has helped me stay connected.

I created a username and posted this just to help let them know it's not a one off problem. It's a lot or all of us.

Fixy fix fix!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just did a factory reset. Still having issues with WiFi dropping every few minutes.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have been having WiFi issues at my home after the 4.4.4 update also.   It always seems to connect/disconnect every 30 seconds.  

To solve this, I have gone into the Galaxy S5 settings for WiFi and unchecked the box next to the "Smart network switch".   This does require to manually connect to the wifi yourself, but at least it is stable.   

I suspect the "smart network switch" function is broken with the 4.4.4 update and it is too agressive in determining if the wifi is stable (or not) and is causing unneccessary switching.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I did a factory reset, it reinstalled 4.4.4 and wifi is still broken. I did the trick of turning off smart switching and that stopped it from going nuts but wifi performace is basically dial up speeds.  Email won't even connect over it now.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

They are script readers.

It's a problem with the "Smart Network Switch".

Turn it off.

Re-start or do a battery pull. I had to do a factory reset.

So far, no connection losses across 4 different wifi networks, but I've lost the abaility to seamlessly switch networks. Battery drain is way down, too.

This is a serious issue AT&T - Fix it.

stlsteve

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

All:  My experience with the "Uncheck Smart Network Switch" solution today is that the phone still automatically connects to other networks that I have used before.  I did not need to manually connect to wi-fi.  I only tested this at two places.  Anyone else test this?  I don't know what it does with the many "attwifi" locations that usually automatically connect, as I didn't go to one. 

My point is that if unchecking that option stops our wi-fi dropping and power drain issues, yet still allows the phone to automatically switch to wi-fi, then we should be ok for now while Samsung/AT&T tries to figure out what they've screwed up in the wi-fi part of the OS.  This would mean that the "smart" option is not really doing what it says.  (For reference, I started getting this problem immediately after updating to 4.4.4.)

And yes, please, someone from Samsung please acknowledge that you've read this thread and have someone looking into the problem, like you did with the other thread marked "solved".  Thanks.

Get started...

Ask a new question