Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

Fri, Feb 6, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Responses

Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

3 years ago

You can try having your device "forget" the network.  Reboot your phone, and then set up the network connection again, and see if that helps.

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

support says it's a hardware issue, both att and samsumg support. im sending back the pad under warranty. no pay for the 10 days of lost use though. i pay att but cant use the cell service.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

no dice on the forget network idea. no networks show to forget. support says it's a hardware issue, both att and samsumg support. im sending back the pad under warranty. no repay for the 10 days of lost use though. i pay att but cant use the cell service. lame, very unhappy, too much time lost on the phone and in waiting for repair. cant cancel contract without a $138 fee. i just wanted internet service, not this stupid samsung pad. should never have gone for the bunbdle deal they offered
Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

3 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.  It's fortunate you have warranty coverage, although it is annoying when you do not have the availability of your device. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

If you seriously think that this version causes harm to various parameters of your phone then you have to quit this update amnd try to downgrade it or upgrade it to most advanced version. If you don't want to delete it then simple reset your phone. Because a simple reset can remove the bug that causes issue in wifi connectivity. For reset details and instruction visit- https://issuu.com/ankittiwari40/docs/master_reset_samsung_galaxy_s5.pptx

Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

3 years ago

Most S5 users have moved on to at least Lollipop, and most likely Marshmallow. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I did a complete wipe. The reset did not work. Also, the devise is fully updated to the latest Android version. I went through many steps with customer support online. They determined it was a hardware issue.

Of note, I just cancelled with ATT. Between the wifi connectivity issue with the tablet bundled with my internet install and the poor customer service for the internet install, i decide to pay the $138 cellular early contract cancellation fee and go with Comcast for internet.

ATT did not charge me for the internet early cancellation because of the mistakes and poor support on their end. They seem very disorganized or perhaps that appearance is on purpose because most people tend to just give up after a few hours of hold time over a day of troubleshooting ... hard to say.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I did a complete wipe. The reset did not work. Also, the devise is fully updated to the latest Android version. I went through many steps with customer support online. They determined it was a hardware issue.

Of note, I just cancelled with ATT. Between the wifi connectivity issue with the tablet bundled with my internet install and the poor customer service for the internet install, i decide to pay the $138 cellular early contract cancellation fee and go with Comcast for internet.

ATT did not charge me for the internet early cancellation because of the mistakes and poor support on their end. They seem very disorganized or perhaps that appearance is on purpose because most people tend to just give up after a few hours of hold time over a day of troubleshooting ... hard to say.
Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

3 years ago

@rrpete1  Best of luck to you going forward.  Hopefully, all the annoyances and aggravation are behind you now. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I received Samsung s5 phone 4 months ago as a gift from Microsoft. I used my ATT powered Wi-Fi. to activate it using enclosed connection manual. At first was overwhelmed by many APPs the device allowed to download. I have not used that device it is annoying. So it is in my desk drawer as junk. Do other users get theirs through this FREE GIFT ploy ?.

Also in attempt to download update the device with more than 400 MB of storage, the system prompts a button of location, by default it showed English and one other location that is in Canada. My effort to show my US location in California was impossible because no US or other locations are shown in this choice of two locations.

I have not tried  Samsung Galaxy s8 whether it is better. Irrespective of the offering of reduced price or price of one for two should be checked to be certain they don't have the same glitch.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Even after factory reset the problem remain same and solid

Lilybell2

1.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Shoaib_zafar wrote:

Even after factory reset the problem remain same and solid

Unfortunately, it is what it is.  Factory resetting doesn't help, nor does updating.  Deselecting the "Smart Network Switch"  (Settings > WiFi > Smart Network Switch) has mitigated the problem for many, but not for everyone. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I had the exact same problem with my Galaxy S5. I had a new router box installed & updated from AT&T U-Verse and thought this was the problem, all because my issue coincided  at the exact time, but that was not the issue. Also, my S5 connection problems "did not" occur at other wi-fi locations,but then realized it had to do with my phone when several friends came over to the house and ALL of them had no problems with my wi-fi connection or this same issue . So, I figured my phone updates might be the cause, and sure enough, so checked my "SECURITY AND PROTECTION" UPDATE!!!  Just uninstalled it back to factory settings. No more problem at all. Back to normal.

Get started...

Ask a new question